Bucees Hillsboro To Break Ground

2,896 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BUAL
WacoKelly83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not really Waco news, close enough though. Jan. 24 groundbreaking

https://www.kwtx.com/2023/01/10/buc-ees-break-ground-hillsboro/
SSadler
Buccee's is great news anywhere and everywhere.

Now lets start counting pump stations this one will have.
Bexar Pitts
SSadler said:

Buccee's is great news anywhere and everywhere.

Now lets start counting pump stations this one will have.
I believe I heard 120 on news last night.
cowboycwr
So is this going to be just north of town right before the I35 split?

Too bad for the city they didn't tear down the empty outlet mall and build it right there.

The spot north of town is bad IMO because the on ramp is right before the split and if you are going to Ft Worth you have to quickly jump over 3 lanes.
PartyBear
Yes right across the street from the big truck stop (I cant remember the brand) that is there now. Both are on the north bound side of 35. I saw the site and construction as I was driving through the other night.
BaylorHistory
What is the general usage of a Bucees by the posters here? I'm a go to the bathroom and get a drink person generally if I stop. I've never been a huge fan of their cooked foods and I'm not their target demo for their apparel.

That bathroom though...
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
CammoTX
Bathrooms are great. Food is overpriced.
PartyBear
BaylorHistory said:

What is the general usage of a Bucees by the posters here? I'm a go to the bathroom and get a drink person generally if I stop. I've never been a huge fan of their cooked foods and I'm not their target demo for their apparel.

That bathroom though...

I have stopped at a Buccees maybe 4 times over the past 10 years. I drive by at least on frequently on 35
loanbear
It is my halfway point between Waco and the coast.(Luling location).

Cheap drinks, gas, and easy to find something to eat that is equal to or better than fast food. Restrooms up the game tremendously. I truly don't understand why people bag on it. Name a better gas station with better amenities, and food. Take it or leave it, but I would rather stop there on a fuel stop than anywhere else.
TenBears
Great women's swimwear.
MrGolfguy
If a Walmart and a Stripes got together and had a baby you'd get a Buccee's.
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
PTGHUNTER
My typical stop…

Bathroom
Tea
Homemade Potato Chips

I have bought gas there but most times I have plenty of gas.
SSadler
Anyone asked Willie Nelson what he thinks about that location? Isn't that truckstop on southbound a part of his empire? Or maybe it was in days of yore.
BUbearinARK
SSadler said:

Anyone asked Willie Nelson what he thinks about that location? Isn't that truckstop on southbound a part of his empire? Or maybe it was in days of yore.
He was pretty high on the location, probably
Illinois Bear
SSadler said:

Are you thinking of Carl's Corner?
Nguyen One Soon
SSadler said:

That was originally built by Carl Cornelius, a long-time friend of Willie's. Thus the name of the town, Carl's Corner. Carl died in September of 2021.
SSadler
That's the one.
Mike E
I like the cinnamon sugar pecans, their food otherwise I don't really care for. Drink options are good.

I always choose to stop at Bucees though if there's one nearby on a trip. Plenty of gas pumps, clean restrooms with plenty of stalls, the store itself is clean, I don't ever usually buy any of their apparel or other items but I like to see what they have.. look around and stretch the legs.
lrwells50
Mike E said:

I like the cinnamon sugar pecans, their food otherwise I don't really care for. Drink options are good.

I always choose to stop at Bucees though if there's one nearby on a trip. Plenty of gas pumps, clean restrooms with plenty of stalls, the store itself is clean, I don't ever usually buy any of their apparel or other items but I like to see what they have.. look around and stretch the legs.
Always stop for their bathrooms before I go over the Ray Hubbard bridge. Been stuck there too many times in the past. Also gas if I need it. I've occasionally gotten a drink, but never food.
historian
CammoTX said:

Bathrooms are great. Food is overpriced.

Their bakery makes great fudge that is actually pretty reasonably priced. Buy 4 pieces, get 2 free for about $12. For quality fudge, that's not bad.
Pseudo3D
SSadler said:

I think it closed about 10 years ago and PETRO actually tore part of it down despite most of it being fairly new. It's not in the best shape these days. They closed Iron Skillet around COVID and have yet to reopen it (if ever).
PartyBear
I recall seeing the frogs on the roof of some place fairly recently but for the life of me I cant remember the business or whether it was in DFW or Austin.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Gas 50%, fountain drink 100%, and sometimes a kolache 10%. Have bought a few Texas shirts to wear when I travel 25%. Bathroom 100%.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
FranchiseBear
fuel, bottled water, restrooms, snacks if kids are with me. For years I had an 'I break for Beaver's' sticker on my SUV. People commented on it all the time and took pictures when parked at lights. But not as many comments or photos as my current 'Don't California My Texas!'.
LionBear
PartyBear said:

I recall seeing the frogs on the roof of some place fairly recently but for the life of me I cant remember the business or whether it was in DFW or Austin.

The frogs on the roof story is interesting. I recall when they were at the Tango Room in the 1980's (Lower Greenville in Dallas, I think). They were designed to be there. Then on to Carls Corner. Now back at a crappy TexMex place on lower Greenville.

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2014/august/return-of-tango-frogs-lower-greenville/
cowboycwr
I don't know how much I would stop at the Hillsboro one when going to Fort Worth since it is a short drive.

But when doing longer drives like to Broken Bow/other out of state locations, or in state more than about 2-3 hours and there is one on the way we like to stop only there for various reasons:

1. clean restrooms
2. gas
3. place to let the dog out
4. can get food- cooked, bag of chips, drinks, jerky, Bucee chips, etc.

and do it all in one stop instead of gas, fast food, maybe a clean restroom, and maybe one of those places has somewhere to let the dog out.

Their food is not going to win awards or be voted best fast food or anything like that but it is better than any other gas station food and IMO is better than a few fast food places that I just don't like.
Pseudo3D
LionBear said:

PartyBear said:

The frogs on the roof story is interesting. I recall when they were at the Tango Room in the 1980's (Lower Greenville in Dallas, I think). They were designed to be there. Then on to Carls Corner. Now back at a crappy TexMex place on lower Greenville.

https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2014/august/return-of-tango-frogs-lower-greenville/

The Taco Cabana ("crappy TexMex place") closed in 2020.

https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/12-17-20-taco-cabana-frogs/
BUAL
They have a good sausage on a stick but you have to eat that with some situational awareness to avoid Rick Perry like image captured by a rando with a phone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.