El Paso Mexican Grill - Closed

5,265 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BaylorHistory
Mike E
How long do you want to ignore this user?
According to the sign out front.

Only been there once back when it first opened..wasn't that good to me.

BUbearinARK
Mike E said:

According to the sign out front.

Only been there once back when it first opened..wasn't that good to me.

Frog owned?
Scratchy Bear
Can't tell from the sign if they really want folks to patronize George's or if they are being passive-aggressive. With a plethora of Tex Mex to choose from in Waco, they were definitely low to middle grade at best.
whitetrash
Scratchy Bear said:

Can't tell from the sign if they really want folks to patronize George's or if they are being passive-aggressive. With a plethora of Tex Mex to choose from in Waco, they were definitely low to middle grade at best.

I think I read when they opened that Sammy C. owns that building and was their landlord.
T-REX
Read a ton of comments on fb saying it got a failing health code grade and was always bad service and dirty inside
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

low to middle grade at best
A full description of Mexican restaurants in Waco. I am always amazed by this. Given the number of restaurants and the apparent demand for Mexican food you'd think there would be at least one good Mexican restaurant. One person posted here positing some cultural barrier Wacoans will not cross in terms of what they will pay for Mexican food that is holding back quality. Maybe that's so.
Old300Bear
Sammy Citrano is going to put a restaurant there called Jorge's (George's in Spanish). Think it will be upper end Mexican food.
CammoTX
Old300Bear said:

Sammy Citrano is going to put a restaurant there called Jorge's (George's in Spanish). Think it will be upper end Mexican food.

"Grande O's"
geewago
I ate there twice. About all I remember is greasy ground beef and tomato sauce. I completely forgot about them after that. Funny how I am about that. After two tries I don't let any restaurant fool me thrice.
cowboycwr
I never ate there but some friends tried it and even right after it opened they described it as gross food, dirty place, bad service, and that they had better frozen "Mexican" food from the grocery store.
BaylorHistory
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

A full description of Mexican restaurants in Waco. I am always amazed by this. Given the number of restaurants and the apparent demand for Mexican food you'd think there would be at least one good Mexican restaurant. One person posted here positing some cultural barrier Wacoans will not cross in terms of what they will pay for Mexican food that is holding back quality. Maybe that's so.
What would you consider to be a good Mexican place? I have plenty of places in Waco that I really enjoy but none of them can equal something like a Hugo's in Houston. Is that what you consider to be good or something more like La Fonda on Main in San Antonio?
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
cowboycwr
BaylorHistory said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

What would you consider to be a good Mexican place? I have plenty of places in Waco that I really enjoy but none of them can equal something like a Hugo's in Houston. Is that what you consider to be good or something more like La Fonda on Main in San Antonio?
Don't you know that anytime restaurants are discussed here (or on Baylorfans before) that the food critics always come out and basically call every restaurant everywhere, but especially Waco ones, trash but never name good ones?
BaylorHistory
cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Don't you know that anytime restaurants are discussed here (or on Baylorfans before) that the food critics always come out and basically call every restaurant everywhere, but especially Waco ones, trash but never name good ones?
Yeah I get tastes are different, but I'm also easy to please with any old taco from a truck named after a state in Mexico.
PartyBear
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

There is not one single good mexican restaurant in Waco? Seriously? How many does Corsicana have? I find these types of put downs of restaurants in Waco on this board amusing.
BUbearinARK
Bombones Mexican Cuisine. Clearly I'm not from Waco, but went on a recent visit. Delicious.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

How many does Corsicana have?
Less than zero, but I live in Waco. The Mexican places in Corsicana are black holes of awfulness that suck all positivity in. Awful is defined by the orange sauce at Old Mexican Inn in Corsicana (a local favorite) that consists of mayonnaise, garlic and paprika. Makes the Waco Mexican Food scene look good.

Have not tried Bombones. Will. New places always bring hope. I had hopes for Hencho en Waco, the bar there is pretty good though.

Mr Tulip
BaylorHistory said:

cowboycwr said:

BaylorHistory said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Yeah I get tastes are different, but I'm also easy to please with any old taco from a truck named after a state in Mexico.
Sinaloa?
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

but never name good ones
Goode Company Kitchen & Cantina Woodlands

Heck, Pappasitos is significantly better than anything in Waco (I'll exclude Bombones for the moment).
Edmond Bear
BUbearinARK said:

Bombones Mexican Cuisine. Clearly I'm not from Waco, but went on a recent visit. Delicious.

Bombones is great. Most Mexican places in Waco are pretty bland. Ground beef, cheese, and store bought tortillas. We usually hit Trujillos just for nostalgia. Took my bride there when we were dating (30 years ago).

The fajitas at El Tiempo in Houston are pretty great. Barrios and Mexican Radio in OKC are pretty fantastic. And, they're interesting. The Cheech and Chong Old Fashioned at Barrios comes smoked in a glass skull. It's a pretty cool show.
4th and Inches
Edmond Bear said:

BUbearinARK said:

Bombones is great. Most Mexican places in Waco are pretty bland. Ground beef, cheese, and store bought tortillas.

correct, a lot of places taste like a patio frozen dinner served in a restaurant. Waco seems to have bland taste buds
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
74Bear
cowboycwr said:

I never ate there but some friends tried it and even right after it opened they described it as gross food, dirty place, bad service, and that they had better frozen "Mexican" food from the grocery store.

Tried it twice and to me your description is accurate
4th and Inches
Elpaso used to be the place for people to go to get Mexican seafood but when El Mar opened in the old Casa Ole building with better and cheaper, el paso lost that whole crowd.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Yogi
Old300Bear said:

Will they serve Alas Locas?
BaylorHistory
Speaking of bad Mexican restaurants, we went to Los Cucos last night and it was just bad. Smelled bad, food was poor, it was overly hot, but the service was good.
cowboycwr
Scratchy Bear said:

I can't read the article in the trib but there was one that had the headline "Citrano's Restaurant plans" and the picture was of the El Paso building..... So maybe he owns that building????
WacoKelly83
From Mike Copeland, Waco Trib.

The Citrano family owns the building

Citrano said he is weighing his own options, brainstorming with son Kyle Citrano, nephew Kevin Chirafis and Chris Cady. All have partnered with him on George's II on Hewitt Drive. Citrano said they have earned their own shot, and he will offer free advice if and when he is asked.

"We're putting a concept in there, something really special. It's time the young boys have their own business. They're doing good at George's II," he said. "We're not saying what it's going to be yet, but we're working with some architects, some chefs to formulate ideas about what would do great there. It's a great location. Anybody going downtown has to pass it."
Lund Vernquist
Horned Frog Grill coming soon!
BylrFan
Those who say Waco's mexican food selection is poor probably eats at El Con/La Fiesta every weekend.

It's around average at best.

Had decent mexican food at Lupita's, Cucos (ironically), and El Ranchito. But probably saying too much to keep going.
drahthaar
Lund Vernquist said:

Horned Frog Grill coming soon!

Well, they'd best not try to steal the name Horny Toad Cafe from its digs in Cranfills Gap. War would be justifiably engaged.
beerman
WacoKelly83 said:

Citrano said he is weighing his own options, brainstorming with son Kyle Citrano, nephew Kevin Chirafis and Chris Cady. All have partnered with him on George's II on Hewitt Drive. Citrano said they have earned their own shot, and he will offer free advice if and when he is asked.

"We're putting a concept in there, something really special. It's time the young boys have their own business. They're doing good at George's II," he said. "We're not saying what it's going to be yet, but we're working with some architects, some chefs to formulate ideas about what would do great there. It's a great location. Anybody going downtown has to pass it."

I've heard it's going to be a Tia Juanita's Fish Camp, a childhood friend of Sammy's started the franchise. They're not terrible, eat at the one in Lufkin when there….I think they'll have an enhanced bar area over the other stores, however.
Volunteer
If the place doesn't have puff tacos.......... Well, it can't possibly be great. In other words there isn't much good Mexican food north, east, or west of San Antonio.
WacoKelly83
Here's their menu

https://m.zmenu.com/tia-juanita-s-fish-camp-lufkin-online-menu/
Bear Doc
Mexican/Cajun fusion. That… may do quite well in Waco actually.
Edmond Bear
Bear Doc said:

Mexican/Cajun fusion. That… may do quite well in Waco actually.

That menu looks pretty good.
trey3216
beerman said:

WacoKelly83 said:

I've heard it's going to be a Tia Juanita's Fish Camp, a childhood friend of Sammy's started the franchise. They're not terrible, eat at the one in Lufkin when there….I think they'll have an enhanced bar area over the other stores, however.
It's going to be similar, but it's not going to be a franchise. It's 100% wholly owned. Upscale Mexican seafood and such with a really high emphasis on a nice bar area.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.