Best new place I need to try?

6,729 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Dustinf100
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Give them to me. Anything that opened since the covid shutdown? My family loves trying new places. Could be a great restaurant, bar, coffee place, etc...could be nice, could be a hole in the wall.

I was in Waco a few weeks ago and we finally did Yaki. Their food is fantastic. We also did Pignetti's. The food was really good and I liked their environment.

We're in town about once a month. Let's get a list going of all of the cool new places in Waco.

whitetrash
Went to Pivovar for the first time Tuesday night for our anniversary. Figured it would be dead on a Tuesday, but wanted to try it out.

Thankfully I had booked a reservation on OpenTable (mainly for the loyalty points) because we got the last available table. Place was packed: one group of 14, another of 20+, but they probably didn't sell too much beer to the group of 24 from First Baptist Church. Food was really good too.

Yogi
I like the new Pignetti's, but they have a different menu than the Temple restaurant.

The Waco version is less pretentious and has a smaller menu, but it is great for what it has.

Still, you'll have to drive to Temple for the Black Truffle Tortellini.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
CorsicanaBear
Pignetti's Waco has a ways to go to compete with DiCampli's and Moroso. In service and food quality.
FirmBear24
Agree with the comments on Pivovar. Have not tried Pignetti's. Heard mixed reviews.

Pleasantly surprised by Fish City Grill. Went to support Caritas and both the food she service were good.

Has anyone tried Lounge 93?
baylrballa
fish city grill is really pretty solid, fills a good space in town. oyster selection alone is worth it.
that made-for beer they have is some kinda bad though.

did check out the lounge 93 soft opening a while back and enjoyed it.

the food was elevated bar food and well done.
They were still on limited menu and testing some drinks.
Planned to go back at some point for happy hour but timing and kids have got in the way.
Edmond Bear
baylrballa said:

fish city grill is really pretty solid, fills a good space in town. oyster selection alone is worth it.

Planned to go back at some point for happy hour but timing and kids have got in the way.

Checked the Lounge 93 website. The photos look cool.

Where is it? Weirdly, the website has a menu but no address or contact info.
baylrballa
Edmond Bear said:

baylrballa said:

in the Legends whatever area @ 6 and 35.

next door to fish city grill. around the pond from pf changs, walkons.
Edmond Bear
baylrballa said:

Edmond Bear said:

baylrballa said:

in the Legends whatever area @ 6 and 35.

next door to fish city grill. around the pond from pf changs, walkons.

Thanks!
1outawayBear
Edmond Bear said:

Give them to me. Anything that opened since the covid shutdown? My family loves trying new places. Could be a great restaurant, bar, coffee place, etc...could be nice, could be a hole in the wall.

I was in Waco a few weeks ago and we finally did Yaki. Their food is fantastic. We also did Pignetti's. The food was really good and I liked their environment.

We're in town about once a month. Let's get a list going of all of the cool new places in Waco.

oak and ivy in woodway

yaki is good but I have a thing against dark chicken and when I realized they use that, I stopped eating there. I realized I like their sauces more than the meal. LOL

good owners though.
BaylorHistory
1outawayBear said:

Edmond Bear said:

oak and ivy in woodway

yaki is good but I have a thing against dark chicken and when I realized they use that, I stopped eating there. I realized I like their sauces more than the meal. LOL

good owners though.
Why do you hate flavor?
BaylorGuy314
CorsicanaBear said:

Pignetti's Waco has a ways to go to compete with DiCampli's and Moroso. In service and food quality.

I've eaten at all three of these recently and I would say they were all very good and on par with each other. I'm glad all three are in Waco so I can switch it up.
trey3216
baylrballa said:

Lol. Apparently, Lounge 93 started instituting some policy that you can't have an iPad or computer out at their place after 4pm. They asked a friend of mine's dad to put his computer away the other day when he was trying to get some work finished up over a happy hour cocktail. Lost he and his family's business forever over something so petty.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

baylrballa said:

Lol. Apparently, Lounge 93 started instituting some policy that you can't have an iPad or computer out at their place after 4pm. They asked a friend of mine's dad to put his computer away the other day when he was trying to get some work finished up over a happy hour cocktail. Lost he and his family's business forever over something so petty.

Can check it off my list, wont ever be going there.
baylrballa
trey3216 said:

baylrballa said:

Well that's a bold strategy.
baylrballa
Did try maria mezcaleria the other day as well.

The drinks are very solid.

The food was good but nothing special. Did just go more with bar snacks that some of the bigger entrees.
trey3216
baylrballa said:

trey3216 said:

baylrballa said:

Well that's a bold strategy.
Especially in an area that attracts a ton of traveling business clientele staying for a few days. It's an absolutely idiotic policy. FAFO
Yogi
trey3216 said:

baylrballa said:

The owners are very kind.

And that smoked old fashioned is money.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
trey3216
Yogi said:

trey3216 said:

baylrballa said:

They're good folks from everything I know, but having an "after 4 dress code" which apparently didn't include house shoes on one of the bartenders friends and a "no computers/ipads after 4" policy is just plain idiocy, and bad management.
1outawayBear
Yogi said:

trey3216 said:

baylrballa said:

Oak and ivys smoked old
Fashioned is great as well
SteamedHams
baylrballa said:

I was shocked at how limited the seating is at Fish City Grill. It is TINY inside there.
SteamedHams
Yogi said:

trey3216 said:

baylrballa said:

Most of the contractors I knew working on the construction for L93 were convinced it was a money laundering scheme.
william
Hit the ATM.
>>Carve away the stone (Sisyhpus)
Carve away the stone
Make a graven image
With some features of your own<<
BCL79
SteamedHams said:

baylrballa said:

I was shocked at how limited the seating is at Fish City Grill. It is TINY inside there.
Yep, and they are already expanding with an interesting outdoor area ... maybe indoor as well.
bularry
trey3216 said:

Yogi said:

trey3216 said:

baylrballa said:

They're good folks from everything I know, but having an "after 4 dress code" which apparently didn't include house shoes on one of the bartenders friends and a "no computers/ipads after 4" policy is just plain idiocy, and bad management.
I guess I'm weird, but I completely understand why they would set that type of policy. Now maybe make it 5pm instead of 4, but seems reasonable for the type of atmosphere they are trying to generate
bularry
fish city grill and pf chang's right by each other. Wow, like Sugar Land city center circa 2002

those brands don't share an ownership group, do they? Used to really like Fish City's red beans and rice, but haven't been there in a long time
trey3216
bularry said:

trey3216 said:

Yogi said:

trey3216 said:

baylrballa said:

I guess I'm weird, but I completely understand why they would set that type of policy. Now maybe make it 5pm instead of 4, but seems reasonable for the type of atmosphere they are trying to generate
I can somewhat understand it as well, but telling people that while there are people at the bar in house shoes kind of throws it out the door. And being located in a primarily business traveler hotel concentration also throws it out the door.
BaylorGuy314
Not a fan of the smoked old fashioned. Lot of pomp and circumstance to me but to each their own.
Localbear
Maybe just wanting to clear squatters before the dinner crowd comes in. Always a business decision. They are making more off tables for dinner than someone sipping a drink while they ride the wifi
BearVerdad
We went to Bombones tonight, which is now called Cultura Mia. We really enjoyed it. They were empty, but the food was delicious. Coming from Dallas, it was great pricing…about $75 for 3 of us. And $6 margaritas. Hope they find some customers fast
trey3216
Localbear said:

Maybe just wanting to clear squatters before the dinner crowd comes in. Always a business decision. They are making more off tables for dinner than someone sipping a drink while they ride the wifi
this happened when there was no one else there. We're not talking a Starbucks type situation.
Localbear
Yep I really like that place. The fideo soup was really good comfort food when we went. They have the foundation set, just need to stay afloat
1982Bear
Pee Wee's Crab Shack on Hewitt Drive is good. We went there for the first time on Friday night and enjoyed it.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
1outawayBear said:

good owners though.

Get the smoked salmon. We would get an order, extra protein, and take into Balcones after afternoon basketball games. Way better than the stuff you can have brought over from Milo's.
73s de N4WJP
BearVerdad said:

We went to Bombones tonight, which is now called Cultura Mia. We really enjoyed it. They were empty, but the food was delicious. Coming from Dallas, it was great pricing…about $75 for 3 of us. And $6 margaritas. Hope they find some customers fast
I had dinner here last night, and it was excellent. The young waitstaff is a little hit and miss, but nothing that experience can't correct.

If you've been to Fonda San Miguel in Austin, the flavors are very similar, but with Waco prices. Generally speaking $14-$18 for the dinner menu. Chips and salsa aren't free, so just prepare for that culture shock.

I can't wait to go back!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.