Historic Waco Castle up for auction four years after being renovated by Gaines duo on

8,997 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by BCL79
cowboycwr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like no one was right about the sale price.... the house is not being sold for now and will continue tours for at least 6 more months as a special permit was granted but parking has to take place on Franklin.
BCL79
cowboycwr said:

Looks like no one was right about the sale price.... the house is not being sold for now and will continue tours for at least 6 more months as a special permit was granted but parking has to take place on Franklin.
The story I saw said the buyer and seller agreed not to close and the house will stay with Magnolia. It also smells like Chip and JO may have had someone to bid their bottom line price so they wouldn't just give it away. But, that's the conspiracy nut in me ....
Edmond Bear
BCL79 said:

cowboycwr said:

The story I saw said the buyer and seller agreed not to close and the house will stay with Magnolia. It also smells like Chip and JO may have had someone to bid their bottom line price so they wouldn't just give it away. But, that's the conspiracy nut in me ....

The purchase was made online and the buyer did not realize it backed up to a used car lot.

When he arrived in person to see it, he wanted out.

So, two things.
1) It would have been more transparent to include that fact in the auction description.
2) Does the buyer not know how to use Google maps?
1outawayBear
At that price point the listing agent should have included aerials to be transparent. The agent should know that putting their name on it would automatically draw our of state buyers who are clueless about waco etc.

Pretty ****ty job all around by this listing agent. F-
cowboycwr
1outawayBear said:

At that price point the listing agent should have included aerials to be transparent. The agent should know that putting their name on it would automatically draw our of state buyers who are clueless about waco etc.

Pretty ****ty job all around by this listing agent. F-
Not much different than when photos are put online and the grass is vivid green in the middle of a drought. Or they use low shots/hi shots or wide angle of rooms and make a room look massive and then you view the house and it is tiny.

all of them do it and including what is next door, just down the street, etc. is not going to help the agent make money so they are not going to list those things.
Harrison Bergeron
1outawayBear said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Where are the real estate experts now ? LOL

Did it sell for 500k like you predicted?
Seems like that might be too high a price.
Redbrickbear
Edmond Bear said:

BCL79 said:

cowboycwr said:

The purchase was made online and the buyer did not realize it backed up to a used car lot.

When he arrived in person to see it, he wanted out.

So, two things.
1) It would have been more transparent to include that fact in the auction description.
2) Does the buyer not know how to use Google maps?

Its always shocking to me how many rich people in the USA are just not that smart...or at least don't have common sense.

I could never afford this house....but if I was gonna buy it I would have been looking at it on Google before hand.

I mean I did that with the last house we bought...and I went over and saw it in person several times. Yet I still checked out the over head view of it and the surrounding properties.
Localbear
Yep. I use Google maps before I rent an Airbnb . I virtually drive the circled area until I find it and also to check out the surrounding area
Harrison Bergeron
Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Seriously ... if I am spending $3M on a house, there are about 3 million better options ... I guess they're banking on some stupid Karen paying a premium since it is "Chip and JoJo" ... some fool will pay $2.5M and be lucky to unload it for $500K.
Tell me you don't know anything about real estate without telling me you don't know anything about real estate.

Just checking in with Mr. Real Estate Expert ... for how much has the castle sold?
Hob Howell
Harrison Bergeron said:

Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Seriously ... if I am spending $3M on a house, there are about 3 million better options ... I guess they're banking on some stupid Karen paying a premium since it is "Chip and JoJo" ... some fool will pay $2.5M and be lucky to unload it for $500K.
Tell me you don't know anything about real estate without telling me you don't know anything about real estate.

Just checking in with Mr. Real Estate Expert ... for how much has the castle sold?

I'll bite the bullet - completely missed the mark on this one. I was wrong. More importantly, I want to apologize for how I said what I said.

I'm genuinely surprised they were unable to sell. Austin Avenue is a historic street with some beautiful homes, and the castle is the best of the bunch. I'd buy it tomorrow, no questions asked, for $500K.
www.linkedin.com/in/hobhowell
BCL79
Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I'll bite the bullet - completely missed the mark on this one. I was wrong. More importantly, I want to apologize for how I said what I said.

I'm genuinely surprised they were unable to sell. Austin Avenue is a historic street with some beautiful homes, and the castle is the best of the bunch. I'd buy it tomorrow, no questions asked, for $500K.
This may be the nicest, most civil response/apology in the history of Bear Fans (365, whatever). We all need to just take a step back before we hit "post."
Edmond Bear
Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Austin Avenue is beautiful in parts. But, backing up to a used car lot with overhead lights shining into your backyard and the noise from Franklin is not a great scene for alot of people.

And $500k near Downtown Waco doesn't get you a lot right now.

4th and Inches
Edmond Bear said:

Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Austin Avenue is beautiful in parts. But, backing up to a used car lot with overhead lights shining into your backyard and the noise from Franklin is not a great scene for alot of people.

i would buy the car park behind it as well and build me a nice metal garage building for my cars/boat..

Thinking out loud
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
trey3216
4th and Inches said:

Edmond Bear said:

Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

i would buy the car park behind it as well and build me a nice metal garage building for my cars/boat..

Thinking out loud
I'd buy the car lot, fence it off, build a metal building that can sit 125-150 people and use the Castle as a wedding/reception property
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Redbrickbear
trey3216 said:

4th and Inches said:

Edmond Bear said:

Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Thinking out loud
I'd buy the car lot, fence it off, build a metal building that can sit 125-150 people and use the Castle as a wedding/reception property

Great idea

Would be great for outdoor weddings and the like
BCL79
From the reaction of the neighbors to Chip & Jo's requested change to zoning, I doubt the use as a wedding venue would be approved.
BUbearinARK
BCL79 said:

From the reaction of the neighbors to Chip & Jo's requested change to zoning, I doubt the use as a wedding venue would be approved.

It would take a good proposal
I’m an optimist!

And /S in case I missed it

TE
Matthew Klopfenstein 1 catch/5 yds
Harrison Bergeron
Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

That's really cool. FWIW i hope we all take this site with a grain of salt.
cowboycwr
Harrison Bergeron said:

Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I'm just asking a question and not trying to start something but....

didn't both of you sort of get it wrong as the house didn't sell at all? You were right in that it wouldn't go for that high and he was right in that it would not drop that low?
BCL79
cowboycwr said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

Hob Howell said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

I'm just asking a question and not trying to start something but....

didn't both of you sort of get it wrong as the house didn't sell at all? You were right in that it wouldn't go for that high and he was right in that it would not drop that low?

Well, I believe it was an auction. A bid was made and accepted. Then buyer actually looked into the location and begged off. Both sides agreed to drop it, as I understand.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.