Ideas for great lunch spot

3,511 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by FatimaAbdul
Greenboy232
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When we come to Waco for football weekends we always take the kids (two of whom are Baylor students) to lunch after church before heading back to San Antonio.

Looking for some good ideas (ideally not chain restaurants, but not totally opposed to that) for Sunday lunch in Waco this weekend.
BellCountyBear
Fish City Grill in Waco is really good, but not a lot of dining space.
RightRevBear
Guess BBQ has a great brunch/lunch on Sundays.
southtexasbear
We've been enjoying Olive Branch
STxBear81
try El Con off Waco Dr
Localbear
I still think Cultura Mia is underrated in Waco. Best Mexican flavors for lunch. Just really pricey for most Wacoans.

https://culturamiawaco.com/menu
Lund Vernquist
Milo's
CObear
Pignettis
SmallMan1209
Slim Chickens, Hecho en Waco, Slow Rise Pizza
Nguyen One Soon
STxBear81 said:

try El Con off Waco Dr
All the El Conquistadors are closed on Sundays now.
forza orsi
Localbear said:

I still think Cultura Mia is underrated in Waco. Best Mexican flavors for lunch. Just really pricey for most Wacoans.

https://culturamiawaco.com/menu

I would agree with this. Great place.

Another good Sunday option is Moroso's. They do brunch until 2. Not their full Italian menu but brunch includes some salads, pasta, and pizza, as well as some pretty tasty arancini.
https://morosoitalian.com/brunch-menu/
forza orsi

One other local place that does a nice job and has a Sunday brunch that goes until 2 p.m. is Oak and Ivy out in Woodway. It mainly wanted to be a wine bar but in Woodway you have to have a least a certain percentage of your sales as food, so they decided to be good at food too. Unlike Moroso's, their Sunday brunch is closer to breakfast than lunch. Still good stuff.

https://www.oakandivywinebar.com/menu
RightRevBear
SmallMan1209 said:

I don't get why people love Slow Rise. I have been to both locations a few times. I thought the pizza was mediocre and the beer selection stunk. Too many IPA's not enough brown ale's and darker. The service is just ok too. To each their own though.
SteamedHams
RightRevBear said:

SmallMan1209 said:

I don't get why people love Slow Rise. I have been to both locations a few times. I thought the pizza was mediocre and the beer selection stunk. Too many IPA's not enough brown ale's and darker. The service is just ok too. To each their own though.
Agreed on too many IPAs. However it is the absolute go-to spot for families, lots of room for kids to play and mess around, and it has become the de-facto "team dinner" kind of place with all the picnic tables in the back.

If you aren't going to Moroso or Poppa Rollos, I don't really know where else you'd go for a pizza date if not Slow Rise.

That said, I personally love Marco's Pizza and I will fistfight anyone who slanders it.
trey3216
RightRevBear said:

SmallMan1209 said:

They typically roll out the brown ales and darker beers when it's a little cooler outside.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
forza orsi
SteamedHams said:

RightRevBear said:

SmallMan1209 said:

Agreed on too many IPAs. However it is the absolute go-to spot for families, lots of room for kids to play and mess around, and it has become the de-facto "team dinner" kind of place with all the picnic tables in the back.

If you aren't going to Moroso or Poppa Rollos, I don't really know where else you'd go for a pizza date if not Slow Rise.

That said, I personally love Marco's Pizza and I will fistfight anyone who slanders it.

Di Campli's is a full Italian restaurant, but they do a very good pizza. Selection isn't as broad a a pizzeria, but it's darn good. It's grown up pizza, not kid pizza. https://dicamplis.com/menus/dinner-menu/
Blueashtj
For bbq, drive out to Helberg on Hwy 6 past Speegleville. They're great BU supporters and have the best selection of regular menu items plus daily specials you won't find anywhere around Waco.

boxster
https://www.revivaleastsideeatery.com
Bearfan1998
Guess or helburg
FranchiseBear
we have tried Hecho 2x and just don't think we can go back. Most recently before the Tech game last week. As my wife says... they have Six Flags margaritas. Frankly, I can not find a good margarita that is not super sweet in Waco.
william
www.arbys.com

- kkm

{ sipping coffee }
POE.
Bearnado
Too many IPAS for a beer selection is a false statement. Love IPAs and am a slowrise regular because of their beer selection. Pinewood also has a great selection of beers.
BaylorHistory
I've had the carne asada con huevos at Maria Mezcaleria twice in two weeks now. It's my go to brunch place for sure right now.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
BaylorHistory
RightRevBear said:

SmallMan1209 said:

Really? Slowrise has a pretty good beer selection and even carries the beer that Balcones makes from time to time. I like that Shorty's carries Austin Beerworks, but Slowrise is a great place for a slice and brew (I also prefer dark beer).
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
hodedofome
Barnett's Pub has an amazing weekend brunch. Not enough people know about it. https://barnettswhiskeyhouse.com/brunch
AlexVelasquez
I've been to Fish City Grill in Waco, and it's a pretty good place.
FatimaAbdul
When I was in a similar situation, I stumbled upon this gem called Magnolia Table. It's got this warm, inviting vibe that just makes you feel at home, perfect for a relaxed family meal.The best part? It's not a chain, so you're getting a real taste of Waco's local flavor. The food there is seriously good, with plenty of options to please everyone in your crew, including the kiddos.When I'm not in Waco, I'm always on the lookout for new spots in Sydney CBD. There's just something about exploring different cuisines and flavors that I find so exciting. So if you're up for it, give Magnolia Table a try this weekend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.