Hewitt/ Woodway: Union Grove and Shorty's II opened this past week.

4,641 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Yogi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll be up to stretch my gullet for Thanksgiving.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
SteamedHams
Had Shorty's last night...I was *shocked* at how enormous the outside space is. It's quite a bit larger inside than Slow-Rise, but the outdoor area is MASSIVE.

Personally, I don't much care for their pizza at all, but, it will be a group/team/birthday gathering haven for sure. You could seriously fit 500 people out there without batting an eye. Also, my Dos Equis was exceedingly warm right out out of the tap, so, that was suboptimal.
hodedofome
I've been waiting for someone to open a place like Big'z in San Antonio. Big'z Interior is ho-hum, food is acceptable. Backyard area is just a giant playground for kids. Everyone brings their own ball and plays while the parents talk. It's perfect for families.

Shortys puts Slow Rise to shame. It's the place every sports team will be going to from now on.
SteamedHams
hodedofome said:

I've been waiting for someone to open a place like Big'z in San Antonio. Interior is ho-hum, food is acceptable. Backyard area is just a giant playground for kids. Everyone brings their own ball and plays while the parents talk. It's perfect for families.

Shortys puts Slow Rise to shame. It's the place every sports team will be going to from now on.

The amount of play that McLennan County's children have been able to get out of four giant truck tires at Slow Rise has been astounding, however
hodedofome
I went to Shortys tonight. I already knew what the food would be like as I've been to the original a few times. The outdoor area was even bigger once I was there, than what it looked like under construction. Just a massive turf area for kids to play in. It was packed, and there was still plenty of room for all the kids there.

I hope they can keep enough staff, as it's a large place. I don't foresee them having an issue keeping enough customers, build it and they will certainly come.

FYI - it is BYOB (bring your own ball).
Illinois Bear
Curious - any opinions on Shortys wings? Yay/nay? Which flavor??
trey3216
Illinois Bear said:

Curious - any opinions on Shortys wings? Yay/nay? Which flavor??
shorty's wings are solid. I always order them crispy though. I'm not a huge purveyor of all the wing flavors. Typically stick to hot and the various levels of that and Cajun dry rub.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
1outawayBear
Play area inside at Union

Went to shortys on opening day to support Kyle etc. Place is great
william
heck,

you boys got a 'bys down thattaways yet?

PA.

- UL

.... and, as always, TIA.

POE.
Localbear
Can one of you go ahead and open a Cowboy Chicken? Cava coming in is nice, but still need some somewhat healthy fast-casual options like Cowboy Chicken

I would, but I don't have retail food experience they require and I still have my corporate job
southtexasbear
Shorty's for lunch. Great option. Good timing. Pizza pillow w Caesar salad hit the spot. Saw Kyle. Good guy.
1outawayBear
southtexasbear said:

Shorty's for lunch. Great option. Good timing. Pizza pillow w Caesar salad hit the spot. Saw Kyle. Good guy.

Kyle is the man
Fat Daddy
Is Shorty's the pizza place inside Union Grove… or at a different place, but also with a huge play area.

I got confused reading the descriptions and seeing the pictures… but I think Shorty's is NOT in Union Grove.
254alum
Shorty's (the new one) is off of Hewitt Drive (over by Ace Hardware/behind Goodwill).

I've been twice in the past week and the food is great, the staff are nice and well-trained, and the play area is so, so big.
Bear Doc
We tried to go to Shorty's on Friday evening and there was no place to park, so we left....

Went over to Union Grove and parking situation was much better. Kid's area is smaller (from what I hear), but our crew still enjoyed it and being able to get a purple margarita on this side of town was *chef's kiss*....
1outawayBear
Bear Doc said:

We tried to go to Shorty's on Friday evening and there was no place to park, so we left....

Went over to Union Grove and parking situation was much better. Kid's area is smaller (from what I hear), but our crew still enjoyed it and being able to get a purple margarita on this side of town was *chef's kiss*....

Can confirm kids area is probably 1/10th the size of
Shortys. Parking situation was opposite for us but didn't try shortys during a weekend evening situation.
I wonder if Kyle and shortys have a plan for additional parking
Old300Bear
Took our grandkids to Shorty's last night and the place was packed. Looks like a really good business move.
BaylorHistory
Old300Bear said:

Took our grandkids to Shorty's last night and the place was packed. Looks like a really good business move.
We get to go there all the time. One thing that we like to do with Shorty's is to just keep it around some for the weekend pizza and toss it in the oven for a bit when we're hungry like they do at pizzerias in NYC. It's fantastic reheated that way.
SteamedHams
It is extremely handy to go Shortys with the kiddos, bring a football, and then dismiss them for the next 3 hours while the adults can actually engage. It's win win. I think their pizza is 4/10, but the space is a home run.
BaylorGuy314
Advice for Shortys- get a pizza pillow but get it open faced.

Bear Doc
BaylorGuy314 said:

So.... a pizza then?
hodedofome
We are having back to back birthday parties there last weekend and next at Shortys. Just a little too convenient to not have to plan anything, and let kids do whatever they want.
OsoCoreyell
BaylorGuy314 said:

This is the way.
Whiskey Pete
Tried shorty's last weekend. Didn't care for their pizza, too bad. Atmosphere was decent.
william
go bears!
POE.
Edmond Bear
Whiskey Pete said:

Tried shorty's last weekend. Didn't care for their pizza, too bad. Atmosphere was decent.

Pizza pillows and beer are the way to go.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I go with my brother or a friend 2 or 3 times week. Good food, lots of tv's and good service. i usually get the texarita pillow with the veggie pillow a close second. With s pitcher of Dos XX's i am good.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
trey3216
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

I go with my brother or a friend 2 or 3 times week. Good food, lots of tv's and good service. i usually get the texarita pillow with the veggie pillow a close second. With s pitcher of Dos XX's i am good.
Not sure how I haven't run into you up there yet...
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Come say Hi. I am 63 years old with either my gf or my 62 year old brother. I try to go the home games but watch most of the away men and women there.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.