Waco Restaurants Still Around that Pre-Date 1980?

4,608 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by TenBears
hill02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I Saw a Waco Trib article on the wall from 1970 something at Schmaltz's listing best in class profiles for Waco spots.

Schmaltz's was the only restaurant still in existence for the categories I saw.

It got me thinking - what all is left in Waco that predates 1980 (non-chains only)?

I got for non-chains:

Schmaltz's
George's
Poppa Rollos
Cupps
Health Camp

Others I wasn't sure:

Uncle Dans?
La Fiesta?
Wizzbangs?

What am I missing?
CTbruin
El Conquisador
PartyBear
Cathay House or is that no longer there now? I dont get to that part of town very often.
william
Arby's.
POE.
BaylorHistory
PartyBear said:

Cathay House or is that no longer there now? I dont get to that part of town very often.
Still the only mildly decent Chinese place in town, unfortunately.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Lund Vernquist
Viteks
hodedofome
Kims
Kitoks?
PartyBear
Not to derail but when did JT McCord's close? I seem to recall my last time eating there was in Spring of 90. So in my mind it occurred around then but I'm not sure.

I believe by about 1995 there was a Mexican food place called Zapata's that was in that building (I think it was the same building). I thought that was a good place but it only lasted until around 97 or so.
CammoTX
Casa de Castillo?
CTbruin
CammoTX said:

Casa de Castillo?
Casa was originally Italian Village. Same family owners
Robert Wilson
Demaria's
Jasper's?
El Charro?
Don't think you can count Elite after the changeover...
whitetrash
LaFiesta started in 1963. Was originally downtown I think where Toasted Yolk is now, or within a block thereof. Moved to Franklin in 1972.

As said, Casa de Castillo was originally Italian Village on 16th between Austin/Franklin. Moved to current location in the mid 70s.

Jasper's has been around since the 1920s, but ownership has changed several times. Was originally a different branch of the DeMaria family. I think Tony DeMaria's dates from the 40s.

El Con started as Ted's Midway Cafe in 1969 near where Marco's Pizza is at 84/Estates.

Trujillo's was originally El Nopal. Located in Southgate behind where Shipley's is now. Opened late 60s/early 70s. Name changed late 70s. Moved to current location that used to be the Black Angus steakhouse (except the "g" in the neon sign had a bad tendency to burn out).

Health Camp has been in the same location since the late 40s/early 50s. Cupps at least that long as well.

George's was originally Harry B's. Don't remember when the name change occurred.

Cathay House I first recall from the early 70s in the little strip center behind Burger King.

Arby's has been in the same location since 1969 or 1970. Same for the Church's Chicken on SVM.

Poppa Rollo's started in Golden Triangle in 1969. Moved to current location when United Bank Tower was built in the early 80s.

Not sure when Kitoks started, but the original owner was a cook in the Army in the Korean War and brought home a war bride. Which explains the 1/2 burgers 1/2 Korean menu. I think it was from some time in the 1950s.

Uncle Dans was originally the Smokehouse in Lake Air East. Opened in the 60s, name changed in the late 70s when Dan bought it, moved to the old Continental Club/Rocky Raccoon's location in the early 80s.

Wizzbangs I first remember from the late 70s. Was in a strip center on Waco Dr where Mitsubishi dealer is now.

JT McCords was still around in 1990/91 when I was in law school but disappeared by the mid 90s. Was great when it started in 1978 but eventually went downhill.

FrankFallonCalling
Uncle Dans move was in the 90s.
Camo08
PartyBear said:

Not to derail but when did JT McCord's close? I seem to recall my last time eating there was in Spring of 90. So in my mind it occurred around then but I'm not sure.
It was still there late spring/early summer of '93. HS graduation dinner. That's the last time I recall eating there.
Harrison Bergeron
whitetrash said:

LaFiesta started in 1963. Was originally downtown I think where Toasted Yolk is now, or within a block thereof. Moved to Franklin in 1972.

As said, Casa de Castillo was originally Italian Village on 16th between Austin/Franklin. Moved to current location in the mid 70s.

Jasper's has been around since the 1920s, but ownership has changed several times. Was originally a different branch of the DeMaria family. I think Tony DeMaria's dates from the 40s.

El Con started as Ted's Midway Cafe in 1969 near where Marco's Pizza is at 84/Estates.

Trujillo's was originally El Nopal. Located in Southgate behind where Shipley's is now. Opened late 60s/early 70s. Name changed late 70s. Moved to current location that used to be the Black Angus steakhouse (except the "g" in the neon sign had a bad tendency to burn out).

Health Camp has been in the same location since the late 40s/early 50s. Cupps at least that long as well.

George's was originally Harry B's. Don't remember when the name change occurred.

Cathay House I first recall from the early 70s in the little strip center behind Burger King.

Arby's has been in the same location since 1969 or 1970. Same for the Church's Chicken on SVM.

Poppa Rollo's started in Golden Triangle in 1969. Moved to current location when United Bank Tower was built in the early 80s.

Not sure when Kitoks started, but the original owner was a cook in the Army in the Korean War and brought home a war bride. Which explains the 1/2 burgers 1/2 Korean menu. I think it was from some time in the 1950s.

Uncle Dans was originally the Smokehouse in Lake Air East. Opened in the 60s, name changed in the late 70s when Dan bought it, moved to the old Continental Club/Rocky Raccoon's location in the early 80s.

Wizzbangs I first remember from the late 70s. Was in a strip center on Waco Dr where Mitsubishi dealer is now.

JT McCords was still around in 1990/91 when I was in law school but disappeared by the mid 90s. Was great when it started in 1978 but eventually went downhill.
Golden Triangle?

How long has Harold Waite's been around?
Edmond Bear

This is a great round up of history. Thanks!

whitetrash
Harrison Bergeron said:

whitetrash said:

Golden Triangle?

All of my conscious lifetime. It wasn't there when Golden Triangle first opened in late 50s/early 60s, but was there by about 64-65. It was a big deal when I got to go eat pancakes there at age 3 or 4 around then.
Coke Bear
Quote:

It was still there in Dec' 93 when I graduated. They used to run a $.99 10oz 'rita/beer and half price apps on Wednesday's. I worked at Chili's at the time and we would race over there at the end of our shift load up for thin night. Many food servers from other restaurants shut the place down every Wednesday.

Sometime in the mid to late '90's the LaBoufe (sp?) brothers, Dennis (Midway class of '89) and Daryl (Midway class mid-80's) turned it into a Cajun restaurant. It was decent, but didn't last too long. The power center for restaurants had shifted away from than end of town.
PartyBear
From about 95-98 it was a place called Zapatas, which I thought was really good Mexican food. Then during 99 it became La Boef's (sp) which lasted I think only a year or less.

In the strip center on the corner of VM and Bosque was a competitor to JT's called People's that was there for about the years of 85 and 86. It seems like that may have been a chain. Not sure what is there currently (I'm thinking a Mexican place) but Panchos was in the spot later than a Japanese steak place after that for a while. (Shogun's if I recall was the name).
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

Moved to current location that used to be the Black Angus steakhouse (except the "g" in the neon sign had a bad tendency to burn out).
Now that's hilarious. Thanks for that.

Waco has come a long way from when I first blew into town in '82. J.T.'s was my fine dining for a while, and I'll bet I went there at least twice a week, and was at George's just as often. I always found the late George Betros to be an interesting guy to talk to.

Funny how my schedule changed after I got married.

4th and Inches
Wasnt open in the 80s but I sure miss PePes from the old Lake Air Mall.. (late 90s i think)
PartyBear
I was just trying to remember the name of a little Mexican restaurant in the LA Mall in the mid 90s. I'm pretty sure that had to be it.
Harrison Bergeron
PartyBear said:

From about 95-98 it was a place called Zapatas, which I thought was really good Mexican food. Then during 99 it became La Boef's (sp) which lasted I think only a year or less.

In the strip center on the corner of VM and Bosque was a competitor to JT's called People's that was there for about the years of 85 and 86. It seems like that may have been a chain. Not sure what is there currently (I'm thinking a Mexican place) but Panchos was in the spot later than a Japanese steak place after that for a while. (Shogun's if I recall was the name).

We loved Zapata's ... the guy that cut my hair - Ray from The Hair House - became manager. It was good, and we ate there weekly.
Harrison Bergeron
whitetrash said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

whitetrash said:

Golden Triangle?

All of my conscious lifetime. It wasn't there when Golden Triangle first opened in late 50s/early 60s, but was there by about 64-65. It was a big deal when I got to go eat pancakes there at age 3 or 4 around then.

Where was Golden Triangle?
Harrison Bergeron
Eleven-League Grant said:

Quote:

Moved to current location that used to be the Black Angus steakhouse (except the "g" in the neon sign had a bad tendency to burn out).
Now that's hilarious. Thanks for that.

Waco has come a long way from when I first blew into town in '82. J.T.'s was my fine dining for a while, and I'll bet I went there at least twice a week, and was at George's just as often. I always found the late George Betros to be an interesting guy to talk to.

Funny how my schedule changed after I got married.

I miss George's George's ... and Phyllis.
whitetrash
Harrison Bergeron said:

whitetrash said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

whitetrash said:

Golden Triangle?

Where was Golden Triangle?

VM and New Road, where the office tower is now. The Coldwell Banker building was Westview National Bank, and the title company at Waco Dr and New Rd was an Exxon station.
MrGolfguy
If you look at it bird's eye view that 'block' is a triangle (Valley Mills, Waco Dr, New Road) hence the Golden Triangle. The bank building is known as Triangle Tower.
Eleven-League Grant
Quote:

Yep. I miss Phyllis too. But, don't forget Shirley. She had an interesting way of speaking.

The 'type' for a George's server these days is much different from what it used to be.

The other thing I miss from Betros' days is the whole fried catfish dinner. The cooks called it 'The Golden Cadillac', and they did an especially good job with it. Those were probably the best whole fried catfish I've ever had, and that's saying something.
FirmBear24
Zapata's was legit!
Bexar Pitts
Eleven-League Grant said:

Quote:

Yep. I miss Phyllis too. But, don't forget Shirley. She had an interesting way of speaking.

The 'type' for a George's server these days is much different from what it used to be.

The other thing I miss from Betros' days is the whole fried catfish dinner. The cooks called it 'The Golden Cadillac', and they did an especially good job with it. Those were probably the best whole fried catfish I've ever had, and that's saying something.
Lucille WAS George's in the early 70's..She was one helluva server, bouncer, whatever the situation called for..Wallace was bartender..could smoke a cig in it's entirety and never take it out of his mouth..longest ash I've ever seen..Our "group" practically lived over by bowling machine in early-mid 70's..Lucille and husband (Jamie) would occasionally "sack up" and come over to our apt. in Quad after closing to "take it on in" ..along with anyone else still standing at midnite..and some who weren't..Those were THE days...Kirk was chief cook..He'd let us have all the left over fried "stuff" that was going to be thrown out...We ate well..
forza orsi
El Charro Cafe on La Salle has been around since the early 60s. Harold Waite's too, since about 1963.

Jasper's is still there after over 100 years. My cousin used to be the owner for awhile. Di Maria's has been there almost 80 years.

Kim's has been there since the early 60s I think.
Mazel Mazel
PartyBear said:

I believe by about 1995 there was a Mexican food place called Zapata's that was in that building (I think it was the same building). I thought that was a good place but it only lasted until around 97 or so.
I know it was still around in early 1994. I was in law school then and watched the OJ chase in the white Bronco in the bar. Made for a great drinking game.
PartyBear
The Bronco chase was in June of 94. I really did not think it was still open then.
BullBear_bf
The Hickory Stick on N18th and Herring is missed.
Old300Bear
BullBear_bf said:

The Hickory Stick on N18th and Herring is missed.

Amen to that. Also Nick's, and Surf and Sirloin..
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.