Eating and Drinking with the Foster

8,891 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by trey3216
Biscuits_and_Gravy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where have you eaten before/after walking to a Basketball game at the new Foster Pavilion?

Lots of options now with many coming in the future. Share where you liked, where you didn't.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Saturday post game WBB we went to Huaco lounge for dinner and drinks. I had nachos and husband had street tacos. I liked mine, hubs said his were ok. Because he's doing dry January I kept it simple w/house margarita.

The place is small, est seating less than 50 couple tables when we arrived (aprox 4:45) pretty full when we left at 6pm. Big screen where we watch SDSU's game and a neat little lounge pod I can see sitting w/friends for drinks pregame.
whitetrash
Parked then walked over to Twisted Root this evening. Got there about 6:45, place was packed with line almost to the door. Very few came in after us, and line shrunk pretty quickly. they may not have been expecting a rush on a tuesday night and may have been understaffed. Ordered about 7:05 and got food around 7:15-7:20, finished with plenty of time to get to our seats about 5 minutes before tip.
Funky Town Bear
We walked over to Segovia before last night's game. That place is so dang good. Little longer walk, but worth it for me.
BaylorHistory
I'm thinking about hitting up BLVD and walking the suspension bridge on Saturday.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Hit Bangkok Royal before MBB BYU game. Got there at 6:30 and there was already a BU crowd, about 10 tables full including a party of 10. I was concerned it would result in long wait but it was not bad at all. Got cucumber salad w/gyoza's and pad Thai. Was able to finish up and get to game while teams were still out for warmups.
RightRevBear
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Hit Bangkok Royal before MBB BYU game. Got there at 6:30 and there was already a BU crowd, about 10 tables full including a party of 10. I was concerned it would result in long wait but it was not bad at all. Got cucumber salad w/gyoza's and pad Thai. Was able to finish up and get to game while teams were still out for warmups.

Bangkok Royal is a classic. I love their food.
RightRevBear
BaylorHistory said:

I'm thinking about hitting up BLVD and walking the suspension bridge on Saturday.

Please let us know if it is good. I have been thinking about trying it. I would be such a foodie if I didn't have a teenager that sucked my bank account dry.
BaylorHistory
RightRevBear said:

BaylorHistory said:

Please let us know if it is good. I have been thinking about trying it. I would be such a foodie if I didn't have a teenager that sucked my bank account dry.
I was overruled for Maria Mezcaleria which I do really enjoy so it'll have to be another trip.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
PartyBear
When y'all say "parked and walked over to....." Where is it y'all park for the food and drink and entirety of the game? Do these restaurants allow you to use their parking for the next few hours?
Miner1973a
For Saturday's women's game we parked at Heritage Square and walked to Jake's Texas Tea House. For those who have not been there it is a diner with a car garage style. We enjoy its atmosphere. Drinks are called fluids, side orders are called parts department and burgers are served on miniature hubcap replicas.

The place was not full when we got there about 1.5 hours before game time. We had a nice meal and walked back to Heritage Square for the free shuttle to the Pavilion. After the game we avoided the long lines for buses and walked back to our parking. This means we walked about 0,7 miles both before and after the game. Weather permitting, it is something we will do again.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
PartyBear said:

When y'all say "parked and walked over to....." Where is it y'all park for the food and drink and entirety of the game? Do these restaurants allow you to use their parking for the next few hours?

Last Saturday we parked on university,street parking that has no posted restrictions. I think you can park all day in Heritage lot as well. For mens we have 2nd &!clay parking so we can park then walk.

But yes, good point, most of the lots for restaurants are posted for limited time.
Ursus
Highly recommend Maria Mezcaleria at the Hippodrome. My wife and I shared appetizers of esquites and guacamole, and then had the grilled shrimp tacos for entree. You can walk or drive to heritage square to catch the bus to/from Foster.
SteamedHams
I typically eat a lunch at Bangkok every other week. L6 baby, extra chicken. I think I've personally put their kids through college over the last 20 years of patronage. Waco needs all the Asian cuisine we can get.
RightRevBear
BaylorHistory said:

RightRevBear said:

BaylorHistory said:

I was overruled for Maria Mezcaleria which I do really enjoy so it'll have to be another trip.

I have ate there multiple times and have enjoyed it each time.
Calrocks94
Well, the parking garage right next to the arena is going to have a ton of retail space on the bottom floor and I heard an insider last night that a major restaurant is coming to there which will be sick where you can eat before going to a game and there's more restaurants coming that way they're gonna be built right on the river
bearassnekkid
Segovia is great. Food and wine are fantastic. Also, if you just want a cool quiet spot for a drink after I'd check out Z's at the Curry.
FlyinDubGreenGold
I had Pignetti's Tuesday night for BYU game. Showed up at 6:30 and it was full of Baylor fans. We parked on the street, ate a great meal, and took the five minute walk over to Foster. Perfect set-up.

I have had BLVD as well. It may be the best food in town IMO. It is a must try. I had shrimp/grits, as well as salmon. Very good.
RightRevBear
FlyinDubGreenGold said:

I had Pignetti's Tuesday night for BYU game. Showed up at 6:30 and it was full of Baylor fans. We parked on the street, ate a great meal, and took the five minute walk over to Foster. Perfect set-up.

I have had BLVD as well. It may be the best food in town IMO. It is a must try. I had shrimp/grits, as well as salmon. Very good.

Thank you for the BLVD recommendation. What are the prices like there? The pictures of their menu online have no prices on them which in light of my budget usually means a special occasion place for us.
PartyBear
From what y'all are saying it sounds like the down town area is turning into quite the place on basketball game days and nights. Sounds like y'all are describing areas similar to Guadalupe in Austin by UT or Calhoun (?) St by UC. This is good to hear.
CammoTX
PartyBear said:

From what y'all are saying it sounds like the down town area is turning into quite the place on basketball game days and nights. Sounds like y'all are describing areas similar to Guadalupe in Austin by UT or Calhoun (?) St by UC. This is good to hear.

Username checks out
T-REX
I parked in the free parking b4 Cornell then walked to twisted root but u was fairly early so not too busy as I finished eating and got in line probably 15 to 20 minutes b4 Foster opened.

For byu we parked downtown and walked to arena since we had club seats for the game and ate inside the arena. Can't wait for more options to come and hopefully plenty along uparks. Need some good sports bars right there and it will be amazing
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
southtexasbear
So far we have done:
Huaco lounge nacho fries, margaritas
Crickets
Drinks at Trojan Cork
Parked on the street and walked. So easy.

Great recommendations! Will probably hit Pignetti's this Saturday
FlyinDubGreenGold
Steak options are $50-$110 depending on the cut. Entrees I had were in the $30 range. Wine list is extensive up to $800/bottle. I had a blueberry old fashioned and I think it was $18. This place will surprise you and is a must try either for a game night or once in a while special occasion.
Big12Bear
It's almost impossible for me to articulate what a game-changer this new building already has and will continue to be for being able to check out all of the new dining and beverage options downtown before, or in some cases after a game. Coming in from out-of-town, it's already a lot of fun and I look forward to that aspect of it just about as much as going to the game itself - and Waco should benefit greatly from this setup as well.

With football its a totally different animal because its more of a "hurry up and tailgate" kind of deal. At the Ferrell Center, there was a long line of cars forming well before tipoff. Or worse, you get banished to a far-away garage only to shuttle in.

The current shuttle system allows me to park downtown and enjoy at a leisurely pace and then either jump on the shuttle or enjoy the short walk to the game. I was worried about it prior to the opening, but has ended up being a real blessing in disguise.

I'm already planning on hopping around to a few spots prior to the game on Saturday. The recs made earlier in the thread all look good.
Edmond Bear

We tried to go the Hucao Lounge Tuesday v BYU but it looked like it was closed. So, the backup was Ninfa's…which is decent. However, there was a butt ton of green n gold enjoying their Tex Mex before the game.

Looks like downtown restaurants are already winning on game nights.
Franko
RightRevBear said:

BaylorHistory said:

I really liked BLVD. Their steaks are heavily seasoned which is the way I like them. But my wife thought it was too salty. She likes Diamondbacks and 135 better, but I thought it was on par with 135 and better than Diamondbacks.
2021-2023 Adopt-A-Bear
Anthony Anywanwu
cumulative stats:
2022 (Redshirt Sophomore)
Named second-team Academic All-Big 12 … Played in nine games off the bench, totaling seven tackles, including 1.5 for a loss … Went for three tackles, including a tackle for a loss in the win over Texas State … Had a stop at Iowa State … Had three tackles, including half a tackle for a loss, at West Virginia.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Edmond Bear said:

We tried to go the Hucao Lounge Tuesday v BYU but it looked like it was closed. So, the backup was Ninfa's…which is decent. However, there was a butt ton of green n gold enjoying their Tex Mex before the game.

i believe Tuesday is the one day Huaco Lounge is closed.
T-REX
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Edmond Bear said:

yea that is a pretty bad oversight for them with how many Tues nights have bball lol.

Also closing on a Tuesday? Bold choice lol
Baylor MBA 2023
Biscuits_and_Gravy
T-REX said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Edmond Bear said:

yea that is a pretty bad oversight for them with how many Tues nights have bball lol.

I've noticed a shift. It used to be you couldn't find anything open on Monday's but it seems quite a few places are now open Monday and closed Tuesday. I hope Huaco Lounge notices the Tuesday game night and adjusts. It could be my pre-game fav.
T-REX
Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

T-REX said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Edmond Bear said:

I've noticed a shift. It used to be you couldn't find anything open on Monday's but it seems quite a few places are now open Monday and closed Tuesday. I hope Huaco Lounge notices the Tuesday game night and adjusts. It could be my pre-game fav.
what's yalls plans for tomorrow?
Baylor MBA 2023
Biscuits_and_Gravy
T-REX said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

T-REX said:

Biscuits_and_Gravy said:

Edmond Bear said:

what's yalls plans for tomorrow?

Teriyaki Park is the plan. We noticed it for the first time when walking from pregame dinner Tuesday. I wanted to try BLVD, but it's Chris's birthday so he got the swing vote this time.
T-REX
I need to figure out how to tailgate for Foster lol
Baylor MBA 2023
tcbear
Ate at Pivovar before the game last week and it was awesome. Small crowd, food came quickly, tasted really good, and a short drive down Webster to Foster. Going to eat there again for the Cincinatti game.
RightRevBear
My wife and I tried Huaco Lounge tonight. It was a date night, not a pre-game, so please forgive me in advance.

Overall, we were underwhelmed by a place we had heard several good things about. Starting off with drinks I had a frozen house Margarita, because they were out of grapefruit soda for a Paloma. I think I dodged a bullet because making them with grapefruit soda is a cheap way to do it. The margarita was good. I thought the portion was small, but I didn't feel cheated either. My wife had the Mexican Martini. It was very salty, and I say this as a person that doesn't mind salty drinks. The more she consumed the worse it got. She stopped half way through. I took a drink of it and it was way too salty.

We had shrimp cocktail, the Huaco trio dip appetizer, and shared an order of street tacos. The shrimp cocktail tasted like ketchup and orange juice with little else. The Huaco trio was good, even though the chips they gave us looked like it was the bottom of the bag. They were mostly small and broken. The street tacos were all bland. I mean very bland. We had chicken, carne asada, and Barbacoa tacos. All three were bland. The rice and beans were good though.

The one highlight is that our server was great. I hope this was just an off night for them, but we were both disappointed.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.