BLVD Steakhouse

3,453 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by TXWayne
Yogi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am rather impressed with the number of steakhouses, especially fine steakhouses Waco has for a market of it's size.

This past weekend, I got the opportunity to eat at Diamondback's, and now the BLVD Steakhouse at the Cambria hotel in East Waco.

I had an excellent experience at both steakhouses.

And, I think BLVD caught me off guard because I really wasn't expecting much with the restaurant being a hotel restaurant and such. It was fantastic. They absolutely nailed the cooking of my steaks. The outside was nice and seared and the inside was an absolutely perfect medium rare. The chateaubriand I had cut like butter, and no food caught in my teeth, which is a good measure of food at my age.

You get one side with your steak, which is pretty cool for a steakhouse. I generally have to purchase sides separately, so that was nice. They had a decent wine and drink menu, and the atmosphere was much better than I expected. It definitely has a hint of class. And they will have a live piano player at the bar beginning next month.

If you're asking me to compare, I would tell you I still love 135 Prime and 1424 BIstro, but BLVD is absolutely worth checking out.

And, Diamondback's was no slouch, either. The filet I had was terrific, and definitely get a bowl of the lobster bisque.

I am pleasantly surprised with the fine dining scene in Waco, and while this is sort of a duplicate thread, I want to keep it going so that I can share my experience and hopefully keep these wonderful attributes to our community making money.

BylrFan
what was the bill?
Yogi
BylrFan said:

what was the bill?

$167 and some change for two before tip and with drinks.
FranchiseBear
What is the yellow side dish? Steak looks tasty.
Yogi
One is some kind of smokes mac and cheese. The other is truffle fries, a weakness of mine.
FranchiseBear
Need to try it next time in town. We went to Prime 135 for tcu game. Looks like we missed an opportunity to try new spot
hill02
My wife and I went and really enjoyed BLVD. The riverside growth in East Waco is really cool to see. Food was very solid and service was excellent. Overall vibe is really cool. Price point is a notch below 135 and Diamondbacks. We will be back.

I do wish it had a little more separation from the hotel lobby. That was my only asterisk.

It is a great addition to the Waco downtown scene.
73s de N4WJP
What do the initials stand for? Am I overlooking the obvious?
MrGolfguy
Boulevard
william
Yogi said:

One is some kind of smokes mac and cheese. The other is truffle fries, a weakness of mine.
if you've got a truffle dog, then you can go truffling.

- KKM

POE.
hodedofome
Wife and I had BLVD last night, we enjoyed it as well. $140ish before tip for the akaushi beef chateaubriand for two, and it was excellent. Risotto and Brussels sprouts for sides and they were fantastic Had a live piano man in the evening and he was really good.

Place was pretty empty when we arrived at 5:30pm, by 7pm when we left it was full. They are not advertising yet, still getting everything figured out before ramping up.
BellCountyBear
Yogi said:

I am rather impressed with the number of steakhouses, especially fine steakhouses Waco has for a market of it's size.

This past weekend, I got the opportunity to eat at Diamondback's, and now the BLVD Steakhouse at the Cambria hotel in East Waco.

I had an excellent experience at both steakhouses.

And, I think BLVD caught me off guard because I really wasn't expecting much with the restaurant being a hotel restaurant and such. It was fantastic. They absolutely nailed the cooking of my steaks. The outside was nice and seared and the inside was an absolutely perfect medium rare. The chateaubriand I had cut like butter, and no food caught in my teeth, which is a good measure of food at my age.

You get one side with your steak, which is pretty cool for a steakhouse. I generally have to purchase sides separately, so that was nice. They had a decent wine and drink menu, and the atmosphere was much better than I expected. It definitely has a hint of class. And they will have a live piano player at the bar beginning next month.

If you're asking me to compare, I would tell you I still love 135 Prime and 1424 BIstro, but BLVD is absolutely worth checking out.

And, Diamondback's was no slouch, either. The filet I had was terrific, and definitely get a bowl of the lobster bisque.

I am pleasantly surprised with the fine dining scene in Waco, and while this is sort of a duplicate thread, I want to keep it going so that I can share my experience and hopefully keep these wonderful attributes to our community making money.

Blech! Is that rare?
RightRevBear
Looks pretty good to me. I am more of a medium rare guy, but I could devour that steak.
Yogi
That is medium rare. I'd rather they fall more on the rare side than the medium.
RightRevBear
Yogi said:

That is medium rare. I'd rather they fall more on the rare side than the medium.

I was looking at on my phone. After zooming in on it, I agree. The steak is perfect for you because it looks to be on the rarer side of medium rare from the picture. I will eat from rare to medium. I prefer it cooked just a little bit more than that one looks, but I would eat it all with no hesitation.

Hank Hill trained his boy Bobby right. Medium rare is how you cook the perfect steak, and if someone wants well done you ask them firmly, but politely, to leave.
TXWayne
Went there for dinner last Friday and had the $50 NY Strip, very disappointing. The baked potato was very good. My wife had the salmon which was outstanding, knew I should have gone there. The Brussel sprouts and parmesan potato pave was outstanding. Never heard of pave before but was really good and the chef came out and explained how they made it. We are giving it another try tonight and staying at the hotel to check it out also before the Kansas game tomorrow. Going for the salmon this time.....
RightRevBear
TXWayne said:

Went there for dinner last Friday and had the $50 NY Strip, very disappointing. The baked potato was very good. My wife had the salmon which was outstanding, knew I should have gone there. The Brussel sprouts and parmesan potato pave was outstanding. Never heard of pave before but was really good and the chef came out and explained how they made it. We are giving it another try tonight and staying at the hotel to check it out also before the Kansas game tomorrow. Going for the salmon this time.....

Thank you for the info. What made the steak disappointing?
TXWayne
It was rather thin and without flavor. To be honest, something I would expect from Texas Roadhouse. Should have gone for the salmon, will tonight.

And $2 for a big cube in my Old Fashioned…..really?
CammoTX
TXWayne said:

And $2 for a big cube in my Old Fashioned…..really?

That's disgraceful
TXWayne
RightRevBear said:

Yogi said:

Hank Hill trained his boy Bobby right. Medium rare is how you cook the perfect steak, and if someone wants well done you ask them firmly, but politely, to leave.
PREACH!
Boernebear
Ate here Sunday night for the first time. My wife and I really enjoyed it - good food and great service although the atmosphere is just okay off the lobby of the Cambria hotel. It was fairly quiet on a Sunday night at 7:00. We had a couple appetizers, steaks, some cocktails and a good bottle of wine (I think it was $175) and the total with a nice tip was just under $500. I still prefer Diamondbacks for a downtown area steakhouse but this is a solid option. I just don't know how Waco supports two high end steakhouses that are both open 7 nights a week this close together. Time will tell.

On a side note, the Texas basketball team and staff were staying at the Cambria and our waiter told us that all the opposing teams had been staying there since the hotel opened, which I found interesting and maybe helps the restaurant as well.
Twitter: @BoerneBear | #SicEm
whitetrash
Boernebear said:

On a side note, the Texas basketball team and staff were staying at the Cambria and our waiter told us that all the opposing teams had been staying there since the hotel opened, which I found interesting and maybe helps the restaurant as well.
I'm guessing the hotel made a deal with BU, the Big12, or reached out individually to the visiting schools. Probably a good way to get some guaranteed bookings as they ramp up. But I doubt the schools are feeding their teams for $100-150 a person pregame.
Boernebear
whitetrash said:

Boernebear said:

I'm guessing the hotel made a deal with BU, the Big12, or reached out individually to the visiting schools. Probably a good way to get some guaranteed bookings as they ramp up. But I doubt the schools are feeding their teams for $100-150 a person pregame.

The restaurant also serves a more standard hotel breaksfast and lunch and has items like a $25 burger on the dinner menu; I'm sure the teams will be spending money in the restaurant. Additionally, it's not unusual to see coaches, staff and even some older players at a hotel bar in the evening.
Twitter: @BoerneBear | #SicEm
beerman
Another side note, the hotel and restaurant is owned by the same guy that owns the Indigo, and he is building the new hotel next door.

He has made quite an investment in Waco and his BLVD concept has certainly added to our growing list of quality culinary options in Waco.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
Went last night with husband and youngest daughter. We shared Chateaubriand with risotto and Brussel sprouts as sides, she has scallops. She ordered side salad and we each had the seafood bisque. Had daily special appetizer of short rid bite w/fig chutney, couple of drinks and desserts too. Appetizer was the only thing food wise I could find any complaint with, everything else was phenomenal.

However the food outshined the rest of the experience. I expect waco service industry will grow into supporting this level of dining as the number of options expand. Service wasn't bad, just not great. The open to hotel lobby vibe was off putting but the real drag on the night was the piano bar environment. Too loud to have a conversation at our small table and the sing along at the bar didn't support the environment I think they were going for. Trying to combine hotel w/piano bar w/upscale food and prices wasn't working for me.
TXWayne
At least you didn't have the Houston basketball team parade through the dining room during your dinner.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.