Costco to Waco?

5,342 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by BearlyNose
Alf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member
FirmBear24
We go to Sam's in Bellmead weekly and Costco in Georgetown or Austin quarterly. Would love to have a Costco in Waco. Perfect location to draw from multiple directions. The Sam's in Bellmead seems to do good business, and a Costco at 35 and 6, I would think would do very well.
Yogi
I know another name that came up was Dave and Buster's.

It is at least entering Central Texas as a location is planned in Killeen.

I would think if they enter the Central Texas Market for one of the submarkets, then they'll eventually spread to one or both of the other submarkets.
Bear Doc
Yogi said:

I would think if they enter the Central Texas Market for one of the submarkets, then they'll eventually spread to one or both of the other submarkets.
Killeen Dave and Buster's will be ghetto AF. Over/under a year before someone gets murdered there?
SteamedHams
Bear Doc said:

Yogi said:

Killeen Dave and Buster's will be ghetto AF. Over/under a year before someone gets murdered there?
I cannot even imagine. Being tasked as a rent-a-cop security guard here would be like suiting up for war everyday.

Yogi
Bear Doc said:

Yogi said:

I appreciate the question...

No comment.
BearCPA
Yogi said:

Bear Doc said:

Yogi said:

No comment.
Killeen really isn't as bad as everyone jokes about...
SteamedHams
BearCPA said:

Yogi said:

Bear Doc said:

Yogi said:

No comment.
One-Eyed Wheeler
PartyBear said:

Well how long does it take to build one? I doubt it is anything close to two years. So I guess you are confirming they are talking about it. Which I think they have been talking about it for at least a couple of years. I thought you were indicating something that was a few days away from an official announcement. Now I need to back track to my wife for putting too much stock in your earlier pronouncement. Lol.
From what I have seen they can build them in about 6-8 months.
RightRevBear
BearCPA said:

Yogi said:

Bear Doc said:

Yogi said:

No comment.

I agree. I lived in Bell County for years. I moved back to Waco in 2022. It is a military town, and it has problems that most military towns do. It is not nearly as bad as some people think though. It had 12 homicides in 2023 compared to Waco's 15. Killeen's population is large than Waco's also.
cowboycwr
I have heard from two different sources that Costco is coming. Both I feel are in positions that they would know.

They both said it would be at 35 and 6- the only difference is one said it would be north of 6 basically right next to University HS and the other said it would be south of 6 by the new road built by the Robinson water tower....
bankerbear
Your sources are correct.
whitetrash
cowboycwr said:

I have heard from two different sources that Costco is coming. Both I feel are in positions that they would know.

They both said it would be at 35 and 6- the only difference is one said it would be north of 6 basically right next to University HS and the other said it would be south of 6 by the new road built by the Robinson water tower....
Big difference between those two sites:

NE corner is City of Waco
SE corner is City of Robinson

Could be a bidding war as to which would provide more incentives and infrastructure.

NE corner tract could be accessed off New Road fairly easily. SE corner tract has no access from Waco/Woodway/Hewitt to the north and west other than going all the way down to Sun Valley where the Walmart and Cracker Barrel are. That's an extra 4-5 miles drive down I-35 and back up the other side.
cowboycwr
whitetrash said:

cowboycwr said:

Big difference between those two sites:

NE corner is City of Waco
SE corner is City of Robinson

Could be a bidding war as to which would provide more incentives and infrastructure.

NE corner tract could be accessed off New Road fairly easily. SE corner tract has no access from Waco/Woodway/Hewitt to the north and west other than going all the way down to Sun Valley where the Walmart and Cracker Barrel are. That's an extra 4-5 miles drive down I-35 and back up the other side.
One would not have to go all the way to Sun Valley as there is a turnaround under 35 about half way between 6 and SV.

I think that was also the point of the road being built next to the water tower. It could be extended north to 6 eventually to come out at Dayton by the businesses that start there (that boating center and whatever else is there), or connect to Dayton by all the homes (not ideal) or even more not ideal- go all the way to Greig Dr.

The area is in a similar spot as access to New Road is built up already and the access would be on the very poor condition Old Robinson Road, the 6 frontage road or 35 north frontage road.
BearlyNose
Costco's web site and their legal filings with the SEC state their intended locations for the next 24 months and no mention of a site in Waco is shown at either of these two published sources.

Personally, I would enjoy having a Costco in Waco, and especially at the southern point of I35 and Highway 6, but until Costco officially announces their intentions as they have in the past, I take any mention of their coming to Waco as a news item not likely to occur in the next 24 months.
cowboycwr
BearlyNose said:

Costco's web site and their legal filings with the SEC state their intended locations for the next 24 months and no mention of a site in Waco is shown at either of these two published sources.

Personally, I would enjoy having a Costco in Waco, and especially at the southern point of I35 and Highway 6, but until Costco officially announces their intentions as they have in the past, I take any mention of their coming to Waco as a news item not likely to occur in the next 24 months.
I am not trying to say you are wrong but just asking a clarifying question here.

Isn't this why many companies buy land through a second company so that they can keep their property secret and not have people looking up their new locations?

If it is this easy to look up their locations why do the companies, media, etc. make a big deal about an announcement of a new store, restaurant, etc. if it can just be found in legal filings?
BearlyNose

Quote:

Quote:

I am not trying to say you are wrong but just asking a clarifying question here.

Isn't this why many companies buy land through a second company so that they can keep their property secret and not have people looking up their new locations?

If it is this easy to look up their locations why do the companies, media, etc. make a big deal about an announcement of a new store, restaurant, etc. if it can just be found in legal filings?
Costco is unique among US corporations for being very transparent in their reporting, which is why I question the timeline. I don't know how every large public company operates when it comes to selecting/announcing a future site for one of their stores, nor can I answer your question about why companies make a big deal about a new site, rather I am familiar with Costco's lead time from announcement to opening.

Considering the number of times I have asked Costco to place a store in Waco, I would be delighted if indeed Costco selected Waco as a future location for one of their warehouses and were open for business within the next 24 months.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.