Who is Moving to Waco?

1,570 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by BaylorHistory
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Ran across this in the city's Economic Development Strategic Plan.

LA and Tyler are near the top. I get that Cali has a reverse migration happening. But, what is going on with lower educated in Tyler? Manufacturing or Tourism jobs attracting them to Waco?

BigGameBaylorBear
Didn't realize so many folks were coming from California, hope they are sending their best
Big12Bear
BellCountyBear
BigGameBaylorBear said:

Didn't realize so many folks were coming from California, hope they are sending their best
And not their ******ed politics.
BaylorHistory
BigGameBaylorBear said:

In my anecdotal experience it seems like we're getting a lot of white people in the 40-70 range from cities that aren't SF,LA, or SD. They seem to like it here with a few mentioning how they like that we have seasons. Which is funny as that's what we say when we move to Colorado.
Coke Bear
More anecdotal evidence ...

I was in Godley, TX last night umping a HS softball playoff game. I was amazed with amount of construction and new building at their high school. New turf baseball, softball, football fields. New competition gym. A huge 3-story technology/innovation center that doubles as the back side of their stadium with pressbox, weight room, and 2nd-level stands that face the stadium. They've built a catwalk that attaches the connects this building to the high school. On the bottom floor they had a room with an open roll-up door that contained multiple welding bays with vent hoods for safety. I could go on, but ...

Anyway, Godley is about 10 minutes southwest of Ft Worth and 5 miles northwest of Cleburne.

I ask the HS principal from where was the money coming. (I wasn't aware of oil/gas/energy plants etc. to bolster the tax base there.)

He stated that tons of people are moving there from Cali and NY. The new toll road can have people downtown in 20-mins.

They also had signage discussing a bond for this election for a new elementary and additions to the MS.

In Lorena, we have a bond to increase the elementary because we've outgrown it and the primary with all the growth.

He also stated that most, if not all, were conservative folks that were tired of the politics in there states.
ABC BEAR
BaylorHistory said:

BigGameBaylorBear said:

In my anecdotal experience it seems like we're getting a lot of white people in the 40-70 range from cities that aren't SF,LA, or SD. They seem to like it here with a few mentioning how they like that we have seasons. Which is funny as that's what we say when we move to Colorado.
Yep, football and Spring football.....or were they talking about Winter, Spring, Summer and Autumn?
cowboycwr
Coke Bear said:

I was in Godley, TX last night umping a HS softball playoff game. I was amazed with amount of construction and new building at their high school. New turf baseball, softball, football fields. New competition gym. A huge 3-story technology/innovation center that doubles as the back side of their stadium with pressbox, weight room, and 2nd-level stands that face the stadium. They've built a catwalk that attaches the connects this building to the high school. On the bottom floor they had a room with an open roll-up door that contained multiple welding bays with vent hoods for safety. I could go on, but ...

Anyway, Godley is about 10 minutes southwest of Ft Worth and 5 miles northwest of Cleburne.

I ask the HS principal from where was the money coming. (I wasn't aware of oil/gas/energy plants etc. to bolster the tax base there.)

He stated that tons of people are moving there from Cali and NY. The new toll road can have people downtown in 20-mins.

They also had signage discussing a bond for this election for a new elementary and additions to the MS.

In Lorena, we have a bond to increase the elementary because we've outgrown it and the primary with all the growth.

He also stated that most, if not all, were conservative folks that were tired of the politics in there states.

Yup. Everyone focuses on the growth north of DFW, especially in Frisco but the area outside of Fort Worth South to West to Northwest of FW is all experiencing massive growth from people who want to live "out" a bit but not truly in the country. A lot of the schools out there have done their 10 year projections and found they will need additional schools and possibly second schools. Which of course creates a lot of complaining (especially somewhere like Aledo) where they worry about the loss of community, school/athletic success, etc.
BaylorHistory
cowboycwr said:

Coke Bear said:

Yup. Everyone focuses on the growth north of DFW, especially in Frisco but the area outside of Fort Worth South to West to Northwest of FW is all experiencing massive growth from people who want to live "out" a bit but not truly in the country. A lot of the schools out there have done their 10 year projections and found they will need additional schools and possibly second schools. Which of course creates a lot of complaining (especially somewhere like Aledo) where they worry about the loss of community, school/athletic success, etc.
Just do like Allen does and have one high school with more students than Rice and Tulsa have undergrads. How kids there get to participate in anything, I have no idea.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.