Applebees in Waco closed its doors today.

2,411 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Edmond Bear
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I haven't been in 24-25 years but just read on KWTX it closed today. If memory serves me correctly it opened about 30 years ago this spring maybe 30 years ago this past Fall.
Mike E
Woww
Localbear
I took my wife on our first date there when we were sophomores at Baylor. We dated for 4 more years and have been married for 23.5 more. We still joke about our fancy Applebees first date
Stranger
Localbear said:

I took my wife on our first date there when we were sophomores at Baylor. We dated for 4 more years and have been married for 23.5 more. We still joke about our fancy Applebees first date

not a minute too soon
I'm a Bearbacker
chorne68
It was in a bad location and was very tired.
Nguyen One Soon
I remember when they were getting ready to open. They had trouble getting people to come in for free meals during staff training.
PartyBear
I'm not sure I would say a bad location. But now in the 2020s the location is unusual for a major chain that isn't fast food so perhaps it is now outdated. Again it opened somewhere in the period between summer of 93 and summer of 94 if I recall correctly. It wasn't an odd place for such a restaurant at the time. Speaking of which, I'm not sure why they aren't just relocating like Chili's did.
SoonerFrogs
Took a first date there in 1998, then went to see Armageddon at the Galaxy theater. Glad that one didnt end up working out.
CammoTX

Robert Wilson
I remember when that place opened.

Took a high school date there.

Was a big deal for Waco to get a big chain restaurant back in those days.
Grumpy
Sorry, but I am apparently responsible for this. My wife and I drove by it the other day and I said, "I can't believe that restaurant is still open." This is the 3rd time I jinxed a Waco restaurant and it closed immediately after my pronouncement. Apologies to its fans.
73s de N4WJP
Grumpy said:

Sorry, but I am apparently responsible for this. My wife and I drove by it the other day and I said, "I can't believe that restaurant is still open." This is the 3rd time I jinxed a Waco restaurant and it closed immediately after my pronouncement. Apologies to its fans.
"Apologies to its fan.. fify.....

Drove by there 15 minutes ago. There was a small army of workers carrying off everything not nailed down.
BaylorGuy314
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

I'm not sure I would say a bad location. But now in the 2020s the location is unusual for a major chain that isn't fast food so perhaps it is now outdated. Again it opened somewhere in the period between summer of 93 and summer of 94 if I recall correctly. It wasn't an odd place for such a restaurant at the time. Speaking of which, I'm not sure why they aren't just relocating like Chili's did.
I think when it opened and for much of it's time it was in a good location as Valley Mills is where all the restaurants and stores were (or just off of).

but over the last 15 years or so everything has shifted to along 35 and the Marketplace. There is not much reason for people to drive down VM anymore unless they have a specific spot in mind and therefore the location is bad now due to this.

Now it was off sort of by itself with the closet other restaurants (not counting Papa Rollos) were on Franklin. If someone went to a restaurant along 35 or the marketplace and the wait is long there are multiple others close by to be a second choice where Applebees was across town.
cowboycwr
As a side note.... why is it that when Waco restaurants close they seem to do so suddenly?

Applebees
Fuzzys
etc.

At least fuddruckers made an announcement and people had some time to go say goodbye but it seems many others just up and close one day with no notice to the public or even the employees.
PartyBear
cowboycwr said:

As a side note.... why is it that when Waco restaurants close they seem to do so suddenly?

Applebees
Fuzzys
etc.

At least fuddruckers made an announcement and people had some time to go say goodbye but it seems many others just up and close one day with no notice to the public or even the employees.
I'm not sure what the deal was with Applebees. As I had said, we have not been since about 2000 and I cant explain why really. I remember it as pretty good. it looks really good in the commercials. I believe my recollection was that it was a bit overpriced back in those days. Not sure if at this point that was a reasonable view or not. I just remember thinking that at the time. The funny thing I was just thinking the other day it had been a long time since we had gone and we should go back sometime.
whitetrash
cowboycwr said:

Applebees
Fuzzys
etc.

Corporate decision. Some choose to make an advance statement (like Fuddruckers, which is or has pretty much shut down everywhere), but most prefer to do so in the middle of the night and attempt to draw as little fanfare as possible.

My wife used to work in corporate for Jiffy Lube (now a part of Shell). When they would shut down a location the crew would immediately come in and de-image like Applebees is doing. Fuddruckers waited a couple of weeks (-probably because of the holidays). Some chains like Zoe's (which shut down nationwide while they retooled and re-emerged as CAVA) are sitting there with the signs still up and the awnings in tatters.
Old300Bear
That restaurant was just worn out. Far beyond time for a remodel. Everything in the place was sticky or grungy.
Harrison Bergeron
Old300Bear said:

That restaurant was just worn out. Far beyond time for a remodel. Everything in the place was sticky or grungy.
That's been my impression of every Applebee's I have been to in 20 years ... everything seemed old and worn, sticky and grungy.

I really liked Bennigan's and Friday's. Shocked Applebee's is outlasting those two.
Mr Tulip
Let's face it. There's a Golden Corral within shambling distance of this 'Bee location. They're the recognized mecca for anyone seeking cartoon-sized portions of grease and carbohydrates.
PartyBear
Is TGIFridays out of business nationally? The one in Waco only lasted from about 98 to 2000 maybe 2001.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

Is TGIFridays out of business nationally? The one in Waco only lasted from about 98 to 2000 maybe 2001.
Waco location opened in 1998 and shuttered in 2008. I always presumed they were on a 10 year lease and chose not to renew.
TenBears
Does Wacoville have a Boston Market? I read they are on life support as well. And Red Lobster has "all you can eat shrimped" itself almost out of business. It's The Twilight of the Fast Casual Gods.
Marlin3030
Went there twice. Both were years ago. First time was decent the second time, everything was bad and didn't get our food. Ended up going to the brazos club if anyone remembers that. That was a weird transition to make thinking back on it.
Yogi
Bad/ wrong location. I would relocate to 35 and 340.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BylrFan
Yogi said:

Bad/ wrong location. I would relocate to 35 and 340.

Their menu quality speaks more about why they closed more than anything
cowboycwr
PartyBear said:

cowboycwr said:

Applebees
Fuzzys
etc.

I'm not sure what the deal was with Applebees. As I had said, we have not been since about 2000 and I cant explain why really. I remember it as pretty good. it looks really good in the commercials. I believe my recollection was that it was a bit overpriced back in those days. Not sure if at this point that was a reasonable view or not. I just remember thinking that at the time. The funny thing I was just thinking the other day it had been a long time since we had gone and we should go back sometime.
I used to go fairly often until about 7-8 years ago when I was single and I was working nearby. We would go for happy hour or at times I would just do the curbside (before everyone had curbside) where they brought it to your car and pick up dinner on the way home. It was reasonably priced and they often had deals for happy hour or a two for ____ (low price) or a drink, appetizer, entre deal.
BaylorHistory
TenBears said:

Does Wacoville have a Boston Market? I read they are on life support as well. And Red Lobster has "all you can eat shrimped" itself almost out of business. It's The Twilight of the Fast Casual Gods.
I think we had a Boston Market in the late 90s for a hot minute.
PartyBear
BaylorHistory said:

TenBears said:

I think we had a Boston Market in the late 90s for a hot minute.

I'm not sure about that. I don't recall there being one here.
BaylorHistory
Hmmm, I seem to remember one being on Waco Dr near what is now Barnes and Noble. What might I be thinking of instead?
whitetrash
BaylorHistory said:

Hmmm, I seem to remember one being on Waco Dr near what is now Barnes and Noble. What might I be thinking of instead?
Only fast food-ish places near Waco Dr and Lake Air were Fazoli's (still there) and, across the street, Souper Salad, Subway, Smoothie King (all gone) and Chuck E. Cheese (still there).

Unless you are thinking of the Marie Callender's next to Olive Garden in front of the mall.
Funky Town Bear
There was a Kenny Rogers Roasters on Valley Mills between Waco Dr and Bosque back in the mid 90s. Similar to a Boston Market. But in fact not one.
whitetrash
Funky Town Bear said:

There was a Kenny Rogers Roasters on Valley Mills between Waco Dr and Bosque back in the mid 90s. Similar to a Boston Market. But in fact not one.
Correct. In the building that was originally Saxon Sandwich Shop, then Taco Torch, then Kenny Rogers, then Schlotzsky's, then the burger joint run by Stranger, now Valles.
Stranger
Funky Town Bear said:

There was. Pretty decent chicken. Better than The Boston variety. Then the building became Schlotsky's. I followed that with Tommy B's. The memory remains.
I'm a Bearbacker
BaylorHistory
Funky Town Bear said:

That must've been what I was thinking of as I distinctly remember waiting in the car for my parents to get a grilled chicken after church one time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.