Can't Recall this flooding situation before ...

8,080 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by hodedofome
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.kwtx.com/2024/05/05/clifton-is-an-island-strong-storms-overnight-lead-widespread-flooding-bosque-county/ Edit: I remember 91 floods..just don't recall Hwy 6 closed on both North and South sides of town..I've seen flood debris all over 6 between Valley Mills and Clifton..fences along highway were full of brush..
Jackson Bear
https://www.kwtx.com/2024/05/05/lake-waco-campgrounds-parks-marinas-closed-due-water-levels-rapidly-increasing/

Highway 6 underwater by the Valley Mills Little League fields and a boat is moving through the area.
Biscuits_and_Gravy
We live on Brazos, above confluence with Bosque.

Sheriffs just stopped by advising that we should be prepared for additional 5 foot rise overnight. That would bring it up to highest we've seen in the 9 years since buying property, difference being in past level was dictated directly by Whitney and Aquila releases never direct rain & runoff.

Deputies indicated entire roads were washed out in south east part of county and that they've had high water rescues including guy from a tree.
forza orsi
On the plus side, I now have a lakeview home. That's only happened a couple of times in the 30 years I have lived in this home.
4th and Inches
We a dumping full open out of lake waco and they expecting another 5 foot rise over the next 12-24 hours

We are starting to see 2019 levels of water in the lake..
Adopt-a-Bear 2024

#90 COOPER LANZ ( DL )
CLASS Junior
HT/WT 6' 3", 288 lbs

#50 KAIAN ROBERTS-DAY ( DL )
CLASS Sophomore
HT/WT 6' 3", 273 lbs
southtexasbear
Camping sites at lake Waco evacuated. Expecting 8 foot rise tonight. Insanity. I drove over the North River Crossing bridge…normally just small bosque and little overflow in the wetlands. It's now completely covered end to end when crossing.
BellCountyBear
I bet the alligators are enjoying this!
Bexar Pitts
Not to mention those pesky 6 ft. long gar!
Robert Wilson
What year was it that the lake went over the bluffs into Lake Waco golf course? 80s? 90s?
Bexar Pitts
Robert Wilson said:

What year was it that the lake went over the bluffs into Lake Waco golf course? 80s? 90s?
Not 100% sure, but probably 91...BTW, I drove out 84 yesterday to look at South Bosque level...and it was high..but I've seen it a little higher...Not sure if it got up on Twin Rivers course, but it was darn close.. Edit : KWTX just showed drone footage of water over a couple of holes on Bear Ridge Course....
OsoCoreyell
We have a ranch on the Leon in Gatesville. Our bottom 30 acres are completely underwater. Glad we moved the high fence back from the river!
whitetrash
Robert Wilson said:

December 1991 was the highest I ever saw the lake. 495 ft above sea level IIRC (normal is 462; top of the dam is around 512 I think). I was in my last quarter of law school at the time. After graduation and the bar I finally got back out to play Ridgewood at the end of February. There were hay bales and other debris washed up as far as the rough between the 13th and 10th fairways (10, 13, 14 and 17 fairways are parallel, with 17 closest to the lake and 10 furthest inland), and the 2nd tee box had just reappeared above the surface of the lake 30-40 yards out into the water.

Drove down the VM/Lake Shore curve this morning. Under normal conditions you can't see Speegleville Marina across the lake because it is sheltered behind berms and levees, but the boats were all visible from Lake Shore Dr. Was fairly overcast this morning so I couldn't see all the way to the dam to see how today's level compared with 1991.
Bexar Pitts
OsoCoreyell said:

We have a ranch on the Leon in Gatesville. Our bottom 30 acres are completely underwater. Glad we moved the high fence back from the river!
The Watersheds of the Leon, Lampassas, Cowhouse Creek, and the Bosque's were hit with huge amounts of rain...some as much as 12 inches Saturday evening and thorugh til early Sun...Neils Creek has 3 branches that come together and hit the North Bosque just outside of Valley Mills...those creeks became rivers and that's a lot of what you saw on baseball fields just north of VM..I wonder how much damage was done to roads in the affected areas...Guess we'll know as water recedes..
OsoCoreyell
Its really bad. Downtown is a mess.
Coke Bear
whitetrash said:

Robert Wilson said:

December 1991 was the highest I ever saw the lake. 495 ft above sea level IIRC (normal is 462; top of the dam is around 512 I think). I was in my last quarter of law school at the time. After graduation and the bar I finally got back out to play Ridgewood at the end of February. There were hay bales and other debris washed up as far as the rough between the 13th and 10th fairways (10, 13, 14 and 17 fairways are parallel, with 17 closest to the lake and 10 furthest inland), and the 2nd tee box had just reappeared above the surface of the lake 30-40 yards out into the water.

Drove down the VM/Lake Shore curve this morning. Under normal conditions you can't see Speegleville Marina across the lake because it is sheltered behind berms and levees, but the boats were all visible from Lake Shore Dr. Was fairly overcast this morning so I couldn't see all the way to the dam to see how today's level compared with 1991.
Lake Waco was a hot mess. The western side of the underpass of the Twin Bridges was completely under water. Driftwood remained there for a long time. Only the roof of the Speegleville III was visible.

IIRC, Koehne Park's lower level parking was completely underwater as well. It would be months before they cleared the driftwood from that area.

As a side note, I wonder if the Corp of Engineers has any plans to expand or deepen the lake to assist with a growing population.
PartyBear
OsoCoreyell said:

Downtown Waco is a mess? I'm right by there (several blocks away towards mid town) and everything is normal here. It was normal at the down town post office as well.
Coke Bear
Coke Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Robert Wilson said:

Lake Waco was a hot mess. The western side of the underpass of the Twin Bridges was completely under water. Driftwood remained there for a long time. Only the roof of the Speegleville III was visible.

IIRC, Koehne Park's lower level parking was completely underwater as well. It would be months before they cleared the driftwood from that area.

As a side note, I wonder if the Corps of Engineers has any plans to expand or deepen the lake to assist with a growing population.
whitetrash
Found this website, although they only seem to update it once a day around 11:45pm. It reported 468.71 as of Saturday night and 480.19 as of last night. Probably will rise a few more feet today as well.

http://waco.lakesonline.com/Level/
OsoCoreyell
PartyBear said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Downtown Waco is a mess? I'm right by there (several blocks away towards mid town) and everything is normal here. It was normal at the down town post office as well.
Gatesville
LIB,MR BEARS
Coke Bear said:

whitetrash said:

Robert Wilson said:

As a side note, I wonder if the Corp of Engineers has any plans to expand or deepen the lake to assist with a growing population.

Bois D'Arc reservoir is the first new lake to open in Texas in 20 + years. It seems to me the only way to go to increase water supply is to dig deeper.

As soon as the downstream areas of the brazos can handle the additional water, Waco and Whitney will return to normal level. I've always been of the opinion they should try to start each summer at normal +2 feet.

Water is a commodity that we don't have a great deal of control over.
FrankFallonCalling
whitetrash said:

Found this website, although they only seem to update it once a day around 11:45pm. It reported 468.71 as of Saturday night and 480.19 as of last night. Probably will rise a few more feet today as well.

On this one you can click over to the "historical" side. Not quite to the '91 peak.

https://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/individual/waco
SoonerFrogs
Just for reference, this was December 1991:

HunterBear
Bexar Pitts said:

OsoCoreyell said:

The Watersheds of the Leon, Lampassas, Cowhouse Creek, and the Bosque's were hit with huge amounts of rain...some as much as 12 inches Saturday evening and thorugh til early Sun...Neils Creek has 3 branches that come together and hit the North Bosque just outside of Valley Mills...those creeks became rivers and that's a lot of what you saw on baseball fields just north of VM..I wonder how much damage was done to roads in the affected areas...Guess we'll know as water recedes..
The Cowhouse feeds into Lake Belton. My relative who lives on the Cowhouse has said Belton has been stubbornly and fearfully low for a long time. Just checked the Belton level, and it is listed at 100% full as of today, up about nine feet over the last couple of days. Any worries about drinking water levels are eased. The Cowhouse and other feeder creeks get their fish stock from Belton, so that's good to hear.
Localbear
Today
LIB,MR BEARS
This is where I check levels for Waco

and Whitney
https://waterdatafortexas.org/reservoirs/individual/whitney
southtexasbear

whitetrash
WTH reported lake was at 481.7 this afternoon. Record was 488 in 1991 and 486 in 2007.
SoonerFrogs
Didn't realize 2007 was so close to the record. I have photos of that somewhere as well

trey3216
whitetrash said:

Here's a better one...

Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
whitetrash
whitetrash said:

Monday night was at 482.03, so the rate of rise slowed down yesterday.

Had lunch with a friend with property on the North Bosque between Waco and Clifton. All the riverside pastures under several feet of water. Said his ranch manager mentioned lots of debris piled up against a bridge (including at least one dead ostrich from the ostrich farm upstream in Clifton that is missing 200 from its herd), but then noticed it wasn't really pushing against the bridge. Realized that the lake level had risen so high that the water was backing up in the river bed and not really flowing toward the lake.
drahthaar
Bexar Pitts is on it. I grew up in Clifton and often saw FM 219 closed east of town when the North Bosque flooded over the bridge just outside town. I never saw Hwy 6 closed either north or south of Clifton front eh flooding on the Neils and Meridian creeks watershed. Lots of low water crossings here and there at times cause school bus routes to be delayed and closed for a time. Spring creek has the same history. Had to have been a ton of water fall in the hills west of Clifton. Can hardly wait to see what the tanks at the ranch look like!
whitetrash
whitetrash said:

whitetrash said:

Had lunch with a friend with property on the North Bosque between Waco and Clifton. All the riverside pastures under several feet of water. Said his ranch manager mentioned lots of debris piled up against a bridge (including at least one dead ostrich from the ostrich farm upstream in Clifton that is missing 200 from its herd), but then noticed it wasn't really pushing against the bridge. Realized that the lake level had risen so high that the water was backing up in the river bed and not really flowing toward the lake.
Tuesday night reading was 482.55, so lake seems to have pretty much stabilized for the time being.
RealEstateBear
The Brazos is as high i as I can recall. It's not too far from the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame Knox Hall.

It's hard to complain too much as the serious drought we were in is long gone
4th and Inches
whitetrash said:

whitetrash said:

whitetrash said:

Tuesday night reading was 482.55, so lake seems to have pretty much stabilized for the time being.
we are about 480 today but we have rain coming twice this week
Adopt-a-Bear 2024

#90 COOPER LANZ ( DL )
CLASS Junior
HT/WT 6' 3", 288 lbs

#50 KAIAN ROBERTS-DAY ( DL )
CLASS Sophomore
HT/WT 6' 3", 273 lbs
PartyBear
What makes it worse is having few nights of extremely rare northern lights that cannot be seen.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.