Next Downtown Development

7,175 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by southtexasbear
BearVerdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SteamedHams said:

BaylorHistory said:

Edmond Bear said:

SteamedHams said:

If anyone wants the full presentation from Biscuits and Gravy, it is found here:

https://wacocitytx.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=4711&Inline=True

(or here if that link gives you trouble)

Looks like downtown ballpark is last on their list, around 2036.

Like 90% of this board will be dead by then

By your hand? Is this a threat?

New Hallmark Movies and Mysteries thriller "Death by Game Thread", premiering in about 73 days….
cowboycwr
If the Waco area could support a minor league team of any sport it would have happened by now. Football- died. Hockey- died. Baseball- seems to get brought up about every five years.

For example most recently it was Bellmead that talked about it.

I seem to also recall that back when the little league fields were built off of Lakr Shore by MCC there was a "proposal" to eventually build a minor league park as well.

To me the minor league talk is like about 85% of the river front development talk. Lots of talk, some fancy drawings, maybe a video and then nothing. See grant hotel, the multiple river front proposals that came before foster pavilion and other development near there and the skyscraper in East Waco.
MrGolfguy
cowboycwr said:

If the Waco area could support a minor league team of any sport it would have happened by now. Football- died. Hockey- died. Baseball- seems to get brought up about every five years.

For example most recently it was Bellmead that talked about it.
With hockey the league folded (WPHL) ...it wasn't a Waco didn't support it problem. Arena football too i believe it was a league problem. And the Bellmead baseball thing was the league never got off the ground; they named the team (Waco BlueCats) and designed uniforms but it was too early, the league hadn't even got all its investors yet.
BaylorHistory
Nah the Marshals folded long before the NIFL did, though the league did have issues. The team seemed to put in just about 0 effort and that's why we got only half a season, but it was a fun half season.
Calrocks94
I went to the city Council meeting and I'm genuinely excited for what the future holds. I think we need to do everything that they have presented downtown a voice of own a place you want to go to activities sports music, theater shopping restaurants make it it's right now. It's downtown. Still is a place you wanna spend all day. Just think what Waco would be if the tornado hadn't happened set us back to the dark ages. They've never recovered now we're a prime position to build up the downtown to bring in private and public development and make the city a thriving place I give my vote 100% to do everything that's been presented plus, even more
Yogi
BaylorHistory said:

Yogi said:

RightRevBear said:

Coyote Bear said:

Waco doesn't support Baylor baseball. Will they support a minor league team after the honeymoon phase is over? I'd bet no.

This sounds like city development folks just chasing their own personal preferences IMO.

But I'd admit, a baseball stadium in downtown would be aesthetically pleasing!

With its projected population growth Waco could possibly be big enough to support a minor league team in 2036. At its current size, it can't. Building a ballpark that could sit empty doesn't make sense.

There will be no minor league park.

They always dangle that out there, but it will never happen.

But Lubbock recently built a very nice PAC and I think Waco will do the same.

We need a PAC much more than a ballpark so if we only get one it needs to be the PAC.
Agreed.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
ABC BEAR
FirmBear24 said:

For the life of me I don't get wanting to put in a baseball stadium downtown.
IIRC from George Carlin: Stadiums are for football (War Memorial) while baseball is played in a park!

Instead of rehashing the baseball proposals, I would like to see the city create an outdoor music amphitheater (the area where the salvage yard sits on MLK would be a tremendous location) that would be a catalyst for private development in East Waco. Love to see something like that in Waco.
FirmBear24
ABC BEAR said:

FirmBear24 said:

IIRC from George Carlin: Stadiums are for football (War Memorial) while baseball is played in a park!

Instead of rehashing the baseball proposals, I would like to see the city create an outdoor music amphitheater (the area where the salvage yard sits on MLK would be a tremendous location) that would be a catalyst for private development in East Waco. Love to see something like that in Waco.

Indian Spring Park is an outdoor music venue of sorts. They have music concerts there all the time. Something more developed would be great, but I doubt Lipsitz is going anywhere soon.
ABC BEAR
FirmBear24 said:

ABC BEAR said:

FirmBear24 said:

Indian Spring Park is an outdoor music venue of sorts. They have music concerts there all the time. Something more developed would be great, but I doubt Lipsitz is going anywhere soon.

Land swaps involving the City of Waco are a possibility. Lipsitz has been a good contributor to the city in that they have created a lot of jobs and paid a lot of taxes. Of course they would be just as much of a contributor on another property.

Just a thought.
Old300Bear
Wouldn't the cleanup on Lipsitz be really expensive?
BaylorGuy314
Old300Bear said:

Wouldn't the cleanup on Lipsitz be really expensive?
Insanely. Which will make economic sense at some point but hasn't yet.
SmallMan1209
baylrballa said:

I guess the electric substation is here until at least 2040.
The location of that is so bad. Perfect waterfront property that could be put to better use during the redevelopment. But moving it would cost A LOT and where would they move it to?
Yogi
SmallMan1209 said:

baylrballa said:

The location of that is so bad. Perfect waterfront property that could be put to better use during the redevelopment. But moving it would cost A LOT and where would they move it to?
Well, it's not waterfront because it sits behind the Brazos Landing, it's connecting road and parking lot, but sitting near the river on IH-35 across the highway from McLane makes it an extremely hot property for a hospitality concern - either a hotel or a restaurant.

Here's my idea: let's level the Red Roof and OYO inns or whatever those places are where drugs are ingested and marriages are ended and move the substation over there.

Then, build a new hotel where the substation is now with a parking garage with public parking and that will spark development on the east side of the river.
Porche098988
I'm happy now they focused on making the city better.
Jackson Bear
BearVerdad said:

SteamedHams said:

BaylorHistory said:

Edmond Bear said:

SteamedHams said:

If anyone wants the full presentation from Biscuits and Gravy, it is found here:

https://wacocitytx.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=1&ID=4711&Inline=True

(or here if that link gives you trouble)

Looks like downtown ballpark is last on their list, around 2036.

Like 90% of this board will be dead by then

By your hand? Is this a threat?

New Hallmark Movies and Mysteries thriller "Death by Game Thread", premiering in about 73 days….
We could do a Waco Squid Game!
Jackson Bear
Yogi said:

SmallMan1209 said:

baylrballa said:

Well, it's not waterfront because it sits behind the Brazos Landing, it's connecting road and parking lot, but sitting near the river on IH-35 across the highway from McLane makes it an extremely hot property for a hospitality concern - either a hotel or a restaurant.

Here's my idea: let's level the Red Roof and OYO inns or whatever those places are where drugs are ingested and marriages are ended and move the substation over there.

Then, build a new hotel where the substation is now with a parking garage with public parking and that will spark development on the east side of the river.
Those hotels and businesses already might be subsummed by the proposal to build a building as tall as the Alico there, but rising interest rates may have killed that unofficially.
hodedofome
How about an e-sports stadium instead.
Yogi
Jackson Bear said:

Yogi said:

SmallMan1209 said:

baylrballa said:

Those hotels and businesses already might be subsummed by the proposal to build a building as tall as the Alico there, but rising interest rates may have killed that unofficially.

Here's a rule of thumb for McLennan County: if it has more than 7 floors, they're not going to build it.
RightRevBear
Yogi said:

Jackson Bear said:

Yogi said:

SmallMan1209 said:

baylrballa said:

Here's a rule of thumb for McLennan County: if it has more than 7 floors, they're not going to build it.

When was the last time they built something with seven floors?
southtexasbear
Spring Hill suites hotel across from Foster is 7 stories. It's been a few years
Big12Bear
Springhill Suites by Foster.
BaylorB254
A minor league baseball team, ugh. Take a chance on a minor league soccer team instead. Speaking of soccer, the HOT fields are frigging horrible now. The soccer complex in Temple, the fields are much better.
whitetrash
BaylorB254 said:

A minor league baseball team, ugh. Take a chance on a minor league soccer team instead. Speaking of soccer, the HOT fields are frigging horrible now. The soccer complex in Temple, the fields are much better.
At least the HOT fields are better than the ones in Alton, IL:

cowboycwr
RightRevBear said:

Yogi said:

Jackson Bear said:

Yogi said:

SmallMan1209 said:

baylrballa said:

When was the last time they built something with seven floors?
Are we counting steeples/spires?
RightRevBear
Didn't know it was 7 stories. As a resident of Waco, I don't have a reason to frequent hotels without restaurants.
southtexasbear
RightRevBear said:

Didn't know it was 7 stories. As a resident of Waco, I don't have a reason to frequent hotels without restaurants.

And do you remember it actually didn't "open" for the first two years. Baylor booked it for overflow student "dorm" housing. It was insane.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.