Hooters finally done for in Waco

1,713 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by bularry
BylrFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Perfect location for a Pluckers

https://www.kxxv.com/news/local-news/hooters-in-waco-one-of-several-locations-in-texas-us-permanently-closed

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/amid-protests-hooters-opens-in-waco-to-long-lines-1873646.php
BaylorGuy314
A more family friendly wing/sports bar place might succeed in its place but man, that location sucks.

When I was a kid, my dad would want to watch the game but us kids were too young to go to a "bar." There was a local place that was a legit sports bar but then had a big outdoor area for kids to play (playground, lots of fenced in room to run, etc). Not sure why that hasn't caught on. Places like shortys gets it but even then it's more pizzeria than bar.
whitetrash
Location killed it. No access from west Waco/Woodway/etc without going all the way to S Valley Mills and I-35 then coming back down the access road a mile or so, and nothing else similar nearby (except the 24 hour animal emergency clinic).

Only time I ever went has a bit of a chuckle to it. About 15-20 years ago, a group of men in my mom's Sunday School class (all were in their 60s and 70s at the time) used to meet every Wednesday for the "Owl Club". Which meant they had lunch at Hooters. All fairly benign. Then one week one of them had their business card drawn out of the fishbowl and won lunch for 20, so he invited the entire SS class (wives and widows included). They had an extra slot, so I went along as my mom's +1. Of the men that were in that group, I think only one is still left, and he moved to the Carolinas a few years ago.
Yogi
It wasn't just location. The company is hurting because their food sucks and the hospitality isn't enough to make up for it.

Killeen was closed a couple of years ago, and now both Bryan and Waco locations are closing.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Robert Wilson
Yogi said:

It wasn't just location. The company is hurting because their food sucks and the hospitality isn't enough to make up for it.

Killeen was closed a couple of years ago, and now both Bryan and Waco locations are closing.
If Hooters can't stay open in Killeen, they are truly done.
GoBearsGo
The one here in Beaumont is also closing. The Twin Peaks here is busy as all get out. Plus there is a place called Modello's, it's like a Hispanic version. Always cars there.
PartyBear
I saw a wire story this morning that many are being closed across the country. I wondered about the fate of the Waco one..
BUbearinARK
Likely because of discriminatory hiring practices. As in only hiring actual females. Who knows tho. Who, who?
Yogi
Got it.
T-REX
Yea food at shooters sucks and has been that way for years. Used to go in Jr high/high school with my mom and dad after Jr my games, for random meals out, and even on Sundays after Baptist church lol. Days ect there. My Bible beating parents had no issue going there cuz it's honestly not really sexualized like people always believed it to be.

But that location did suck but luckily we were coming southbound so never affected us getting there. Remember going there with my dad on a week night to watch the cowboys the first time they ever had a game only shown on NFL network. We had cable so couldn't see it at home and hooters didn't have a cover like bdubs and others around town did for the game.

But twin peaks is light years better food, better menu and drink options, and way better service plus better staff. I don't go often but living in dfw is nice if your a peaks fan. Sadly the stupid ass waco DA had to ruin that for all of you. Glad I drove back to KC that morning early instead of going to grab a bite there for lunch that day as originally planned lol

Oh and anybody in dfw remember redneck heaven? Talk about trash food and even trashier women lol. Every day was lingerie day there and boy was it trashy lol. I believe they are all closed now
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Localbear
Ojos Locos has also become popular in some of the bigger cities adding competition.
BylrFan
Localbear said:

Ojos Locos has also become popular in some of the bigger cities adding competition.
Also Bombshells, Wing House, Twin Peaks, Tilted Kilt, Bikinis Sports Bar and Grill, Bone Daddy's, Heart Attack Grill, Show-Me's, wing daddy's - all based in DFW funnily enough.
bularry
Bone Daddy's used to do a really great job in the staffing area back in the day.....
Big12Bear
BylrFan said:

Localbear said:

Also Bombshells, Wing House, Twin Peaks, Tilted Kilt, Bikinis Sports Bar and Grill, Bone Daddy's, Heart Attack Grill, Show-Me's, wing daddy's - all based in DFW funnily enough.
Tailgaters, Wild Pitch, Knockouts.

Hooters got left in the dust.
Harrison Bergeron
BylrFan said:

Localbear said:

Um ... most of those are closed.
Harrison Bergeron
bularry said:

Bone Daddy's used to do a really great job in the staffing area back in the day.....
Holy smokes - back in 2010 - great food and the hottest servers.
T-REX
Harrison Bergeron said:

BylrFan said:

Localbear said:

haha yep
Baylor MBA 2023
BylrFan
Harrison Bergeron said:

BylrFan said:

Localbear said:

Just tells me how much I don't really care for breastraunts anymore. Goes with the time.
Yogi
BylrFan said:

Harrison Bergeron said:

BylrFan said:

Localbear said:

Just tells me how much I don't really care for breastraunts anymore. Goes with the time.
I quit when the waitstaff became old enough to be my children.
beardoc
The one here in Lubbock closed as well. Just not enough support.
BUbearinARK
beardoc said:

is that the same as sagging support?
Coke Bear
Never went to the one in Waco. Went to one in the Dallas area a few times when I was traveling for work back in '95. Terrible wings and overpriced burgers. It wasn't good enough to me to go back even when I was spending my company's money.

About 30 years ago, a friend of mine stopped at one in Austin for a late lunch. It was a slow day so the waitress chatted them up. She explained to them how they are specifically trained to lean over at the table, to touch guys on the shoulders, biceps, and and forearms, and lean on them with the side of their hips in order to generate more sales and tips.

It's sad that many guys will pay for those terrible wings and overpriced burgers because they need attention and their ego stroked.
T-REX
Coke Bear said:

Never went to the one in Waco. Went to one in the Dallas area a few times when I was traveling for work back in '95. Terrible wings and overpriced burgers. It wasn't good enough to me to go back even when I was spending my company's money.

About 30 years ago, a friend of mine stopped at one in Austin for a late lunch. It was a slow day so the waitress chatted them up. She explained to them how they are specifically trained to lean over at the table, to touch guys on the shoulders, biceps, and and forearms, and lean on them with the side of their hips in order to generate more sales and tips.

It's sad that many guys will pay for those terrible wings and overpriced burgers because they need attention and their ego stroked.
That's not what needs stroking
Baylor MBA 2023
trey3216
Coke Bear said:

We were at the one in Waco one time and one of my friends who had just got home from an 18 month Middle East vacation had the waitress "de-bone" the wings for him at the table (which apparently used to be a thing). It was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Robert Wilson
trey3216 said:

Coke Bear said:

We were at the one in Waco one time and one of my friends who had just got home from an 18 month Middle East vacation had the waitress "de-bone" the wings for him at the table (which apparently used to be a thing). It was the most embarrassing thing I've ever seen.
After an 18-month tour in the ME you probably just dgaf about a whole lot of things.

I have never heard of this wing deboning, but it sounds interesting.
Yogi
BUbearinARK said:

beardoc said:

is that the same as sagging support?
bularry
Harrison Bergeron said:

bularry said:

Holy smokes - back in 2010 - great food and the hottest servers.
yeah, that one in Grapevine was very well staffed
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.