What? The Grant Hotel Site is on the Market

5,131 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by MrGolfguy
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CTbruin said:

Dyson has publicized about half a dozen "projects" that have never materialized.
I had him as a professor I think long ago... how old is this guy now?
CTbruin
He is not on the current faculty directory. He must have retired
trey3216
Calrocks94 said:

About time use the river as the focal point for Waco a lot of exciting things and for the next 12 to 20 years downtown gonna be almost unrecognizable in a good way we're gonna turn into Austin without the politics, which is good private developments are gonna come hopefully we get a concert venue on the river ballpark for arts center all kinds of stuff exciting things in store
Austin without the politics??? Lol, apparently you don't know many of the controlling narrators/narratives in Waco.....
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
CTbruin
I do. Lived here over 60 years.

I assure you Waco in nothing like Austin. Nothing.

Yes, we have some on the left that attempt control. But we are a God fearing conservative, capitalistic community.
trey3216
CTbruin said:

Yes, we have some on the left that attempt control. But we are a God fearing conservative, capitalistic community.
That's fair. But we're also a drug trafficking, sex trafficking community with a bunch of large stakeholders that did everything in their power to put a lid on growth in the area, and many that still do. That's as anti-capitalist as it comes.
Mr Tulip
[url=/gif/gene-wilder-morons-blazing-saddles-oZyAs9][/url]
CTbruin
I don't know that the crime you speak of is any greater than the rest of our state.

As for the large stakeholders , yes they exist. I think they have tried to restrict, but those days are behind us. We are having very healthy growth currently. A lot of folks are responsible. Kudos to them
SteamedHams
trey3216 said:

CTbruin said:

That's fair. But we're also a drug trafficking, sex trafficking community with a bunch of large stakeholders that did everything in their power to put a lid on growth in the area, and many that still do. That's as anti-capitalist as it comes.
I can tell you that the times are a changin' on the crime/trafficking aspect of Waco. Tetens' office has been extremely punitive (in a good way) towards organized crime and sexual violence. Some of the sentences being handed out of late have been truly eye popping.

About 10-15 years ago, Hill County had a similar sentencing shift and now you'd be lucky to avoid a public hanging if you were arrested within the county line. McLennan has very much moved in that direction of late. There has been a seismic shift out of McLennan County towards Bell/Travis County, and I anticipate as Tetens continues exploring his full prosecutorial discretion, that will only continue.
Edmond Bear
BellCountyBear said:

Growing up in San Antonio, I've never seen a city screw up the opportunities presented by a river worse than Waco.

That's because Waco shoved half of its downtown into the river after the giant tornado.

Fat Daddy
SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

CTbruin said:

I can tell you that the times are a changin' on the crime/trafficking aspect of Waco. Tetens' office has been extremely punitive (in a good way) towards organized crime and sexual violence. Some of the sentences being handed out of late have been truly eye popping.

About 10-15 years ago, Hill County had a similar sentencing shift and now you'd be lucky to avoid a public hanging if you were arrested within the county line. McLennan has very much moved in that direction of late. There has been a seismic shift out of McLennan County towards Bell/Travis County, and I anticipate as Tetens continues exploring his full prosecutorial discretion, that will only continue.

I still haven't decided about Tetens… but it wouldn't take much to be better than our last two!

However, there a at least one judge that seems to be "easy" with the sentencing.
trey3216
SteamedHams said:

trey3216 said:

CTbruin said:

yes, Tetens has done a great job of unwinding the absolute mess that fraud Barry Johnson left.
Calrocks94
When I met Austin, I mean, we can't be a dormant city. We need to grow and become more lively and have our own identity and use the river to make it our identity. Waco has a bright future ahead die just think what Waco could've been if the tornado never happened they never rebuilt now we're rebuilding for the future and it's gonna be great
Edmond Bear

At one time, Waco was one of only two cities in the US to allow legalized prostitution. Maybe, Waco could reinstate that policy and increase tourism by giving the husbands something to do while their wives are at Magnolia.

Robert Wilson
Edmond Bear said:

At one time, Waco was one of only two cities in the US to allow legalized prostitution. Maybe, Waco could reinstate that policy and increase tourism by giving the husbands something to do while their wives are at Magnolia.

And go back to the name Six Shooter Junction.
CTbruin
McLennan County population is now over 300,000. We are having solid growth in the industrial sector. More jobs. Amazon has been a great addition.

The development along the river looks great. Residential construction is still strong.

There are many things going on in the Greater Waco area that if you visit infrequently you don't realize.

Tiny Elvis
Despite the actual Grant Hotel site itself being problematic…buried trash, etc., I kinda liked the overall concept. Puts in some new development at a different part of the river on the NE edge of campus and created more of a need for a ferry, riverboat or whatever the Lady Donell was supposed to be.

Guests arrive by boat at McLane or Foster, or maybe some select restaurants…Brazos Landing, Slow Rise or wherever. Obviously, if a new riverfront hotel by Foster comes in, the need for that drops dramatically. Guests walk next door to Foster. Some might even walk to McLane, Maybe you could still make it feasible if you could sell tours of the river or something.

Kind of a separate subject, but is there enough demand where Baylor could ever build a on-campus hotel? Despite Dyson's failure, could Baylor partner up with a developer to build something? think A&M has done this successfully. It could be the Grant site or elsewhere. Maybe start up a Hospitality Mgt major like UH has and you can partially staff by letting students intern there.
SmallMan1209
I bet Baylor has the lot right next to the Welcome Center intentionally vacant for a future hotel. It's not in the plans at the moment. But I'm sure they'll know when to move forward with it.
Bear1969
CTbruin said:

McLennan County population is now over 300,000. We are having solid growth in the industrial sector. More jobs. Amazon has been a great addition.

The 2023 estimated population for the Waco MSA (McLennan, Falls, Bosque counties) is 304,865. The MSA has reached 300,000 but McLennan county is not quite there yet (268,583).
Yogi
SmallMan1209 said:

I bet Baylor has the lot right next to the Welcome Center intentionally vacant for a future hotel. It's not in the plans at the moment. But I'm sure they'll know when to move forward with it.

The Bonanza Inn & Suites?
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
MrGolfguy
The rebirth of the Mardi Gras Inn?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.