cowboycwr said:
whitetrash said:
Edmond Bear said:
The museum is trying to expand but is hemmed in by the cemetery. So, they are looking to move downtown and be part of the redevelopment efforts.
https://wacotrib.com/eedition/page-a1/page_8f10f88f-b155-50c0-8e97-b78df8e86e43.html
I wonder if Baylor would do something with that property. It's a pretty big piece of property next to I35 and a river.
A big chunk of that property is cemetery. The last time they expanded the Ranger museum they uncovered some unmarked graves.
Then again, there's big cemetery directly across the street from Rice-Eccles Stadium at Utah, and one just a few feet behind the stands at Death Valley at Clemson.
I know I'm in the minority on this view but I don't care for not developing land because it was a cemetery. Especially if it has not been used for new burials in decades. Move the bodies somewhere else. "Historical" cemeteries don't make sense to me.
People have built over cemeteries for centuries in other parts of the world, which is why they often find bodies when doing construction.
But I am not on the side of protecting an old cemetery just because.
That particular cemetery has multiple governors of Texas, Pat Neff, Sul Ross, multiple confederate generals, Rufus Burleson, Neil McLlennan, and the inventor of Dr. Pepper.
It is very active and hosts frequent history tours and ghost tours.
It is likely one of the most famous in Texas and not going anywhere.
"I'm kinda like the leader, you know? Kinda like the king of the dipsh**s" - Farmer Ted, Sixteen Candles