Anyone remember Sue's No. 2 by Sterling?

3,675 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Beverly Hills Bear
CammoTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rough bar. I recall the bartender not having teeth and talking about how her brother had just gotten out of prison.
dougl999
Sue's # 2 on LaSalle. Used to shoot pool with Sue (who looked like an older Elvira) and Pam (the waitress) during the day. 1987-90 for me. When I first started going there it was 75 cent drafts then it went to a $1 and I had to stop tipping. Always went when Classie Ballou played. It could be a rough crowd, but since we went quite a bit at mid-day and got to know the staff, we never had a problem. Good times!
JCWortsman
Does this mean sues #2 is dead? RIP. I never did find Sues #1.
Gunny Hartman
Sue's #2 got a shout out in one of Derek Haas' fiction books. It was the name of a roadside cafe.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
There was a murder there the first week of my freshman year.
CTbruin
Back when I was in college (early 70s), we went to a bar over by General Tire call Matties. Had a real shuffle board. Hand shuffle board. Ahh....the good times.
BaylorTaxman
I may still have my yellow Classy Ballou t-shirt. Sues No.2 was a great bar. Sadly, yes it is gone.
BaylorTaxman
Were any of you there during the short time Cajun Daddy.s was open? It was on University Parks near Loop 340. Good times but they committed about every violation a bar can. The building is now a daycare.

The best place to go if you were just mentally 21, not physically, was El Taco Loco.
bularry
dougl999 said:

Sue's # 2 on LaSalle. Used to shoot pool with Sue (who looked like an older Elvira) and Pam (the waitress) during the day. 1987-90 for me. When I first started going there it was 75 cent drafts then it went to a $1 and I had to stop tipping. Always went when Classie Ballou played. It could be a rough crowd, but since we went quite a bit at mid-day and got to know the staff, we never had a problem. Good times!

Were you a Sig Ep? Played pool there with those guys same timeframe
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Used to go to Sue 2 often. Friends with band Riff Raff. Finished many evenings there.

Sue 1 was down on 18th street on other side of town I think. Near the Brass Rail. Didnt go there but once
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Used to go to Sue 2 often. Friends with band Riff Raff. Finished many evenings there.

Sue 1 was down on 18th street on other side of town I think. Near the Brass Rail. Didnt go there but once
Yep, entirely different crowd. I remember Sue's when she was just a gravel parking lot.
Gold Tron
BaylorTaxman said:

I may still have my yellow Classy Ballou t-shirt. Sues No.2 was a great bar. Sadly, yes it is gone.
Classy Ballou and the All Nite Band. Classy was "The All Nite Man" lol. Hadn't thought about that in years. The summer of '91 everyone would leave in a caravan from George's at midnight when it closed and drive to Sue's #2. Great memories. Thanks for the Classy mention!
CammoTX

IIRC from Baylorfans there was another establishment on LaSalle not too far from there that you were quite the fan of, lol
dougl999
Roommate my Jr yr was a Sig Ep. Honestly, I don't remember him going. Mostly played pool w/ a couple of guys named Frank and Ford. I think they were ATO..? It was a long time ago.
gobears20
Staff
Haven't heard that place in a while. When I went back in the 90's lots of bikers.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
CammoTX said:

IIRC from Baylorfans there was another establishment on LaSalle not too far from there that you were quite the fan of, lol
Yes. I used to help my brother with his yard service while I was in town in the summer. We would work a few hours then go into Showtime for a two hour 4 beer air conditioned lunch. Good times. I can still remember some of the girls.

I went back two or three years ago and met the daughter of one of my Midway classmates and another that was the daughter of my fav. dancer Sabbath, I could tell stories all day but not appropiate for here.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
trey3216
bularry said:

dougl999 said:

Were you a Sig Ep? Played pool there with those guys same timeframe
Can confirm that 87-00 SigEps would slum it up at Sue's #2 fairly frequently, as I am one.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Beverly Hills Bear
I remember being there one night drinking 50cent drafts and getting pulled into the dance line that the old folks were doing to " heard it thru the grapevine ' while in college during mid 80's. Always a good time at Sue's #2
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.