60 years of Waco

2,722 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dave714
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Posted on social media

SIXTY YEARS OF WACO

On this lazy, beautiful Sunday afternoon as I sip my after-lunch coffee, I'm thinking of my many memories of Waco. I became a Wacoan a little over sixty years ago when I was born at Hillcrest Hospital. No matter where I've lived, I've always felt like Waco was home. I have many more than I've listed, but these are just SIXTY random memories of SIXTY years of being a Wacoan. They are in no particular order. How many of them do you share? Feel free to share your score and add your own additional memories in the comments.

Here we go....

MY SIXTY YEARS OF WACO MEMORIES...

1. Smelling the bread baking at Mrs. Baird's as I drove or rode over the 17th Street viaduct.

2. Lazy summer afternoons at Lion's Pool snd how good the fries tasted eating them poolside at Waco's own original McDonald's.

3. Going with my brother, Mom, cousins and Aunt Martha to KCEN-TV in Temple to be on Zebo's show.

4. Wading in the wading pool at Cameron Park.

5. Being intrigued by the "horse and chariot" tapestry/wallpaper at 25th Street Theater.

6. Dropping a penny on a goldfish in the pond at Lake Air Mall.

7. Trying to get the golf ball through the windmill at Lion's Park Putt-Putt.

8. Sliding down the humongous Super Slide in the Kmart parking lot at Valley Mills and Waco Drive, followed by a burger from Burger Chef next door. The slide moved to Lion's Park in 1972.

9. Eating amazing pizza upstairs at Poppa Rollo's while watching The Three Stooges when it was across Valley Mills Drive from Westview Village.

10. Riding in the backseat of my parents car as they drove past Lake Air Tower, wondering if that's where Buffy and Jody lived with their Uncle Bill and Mr. French.

11. Eating bbq on the upper level of Uncle Dan's at Lake Air East.

12. Finding out what a beignet is at Hickory Hut on Wooded Acres.

13. Watching movies at Schulman Theater in the tall building on Wooded Acres behind McDonald's.

14. Being a guest, and later a juror, at Teen Court.

15. The smell of popcorn, mixed with retail, as we ascended the escalator at Sears at 18th and Waco Drive.

16. Getting a clean car at Magic Brush Carwash at 20th and Waco Drive.

17. The smells and big-city feeling of walking into Goldstein-Migel's, Cox's and Monnig's downtown.

18. Watching the Parade of Lights on Lake Waco at Christmas Time.

19. Staring at the Western-themed wallpaper at The Hickory Stick while the waitress prepared my parents' baked potato at the table.

20. Riding in my Uncle Harold's boat under DeHay's bridge on the north Bosque before The new Lake Waco Dam was built.

21. Sitting on the Fort Street-side steps of Sears at 18th and Waco Drive with my brother while my Mom shopped.

22. The thrill of Rambler Drive and Mockingbird Lane BEFORE they got speed-bumps.

23. When there was no Herring Avenue Bridge In Cameron Park.

24. Gammin's Game Room on Lake Shore Drive.

25. Riding in my uncle's car over the old Lake Waco Dam when North 19th Street was flooded between Lake Shore and Bosqueville. (But Lake shore was not built yet.)

26. Eating burgers at Chuck Wagon at Waco Drive and New Road, wondering if this was a place cowboys used to eat in the old West.

27. The sheer delight of Toyland upstairs at Sears at 18th and Waco Drive during Christmas.

28. Standing in line to register for classes at MCC.

29. The Christmas display at the entrance to Cameron Park.

30. The weird, mustardy hamburgers at Sandy's Hamburger's on Bosque at 42nd, with Gibson's Discount Center just behind it. Once was enough.

31. Birthday parties in the party room at CenTex Zoo.

32. Being bussed from Bosqueville School to Kiwanis Pool on 4th Street by Cameron Park for summer swimming lessons.

33. The self-serve, coin-operated soft drink machines at Lake Air Cinema. Cool, but nasty.

34. The weird, scary intersection at 41st and Hillcrest.

35. Skating at Westview Roller Rink.

36. The amazing food at Nick's,Giovanni's and Water Works.

37. The huge bear at Cogdell's.

38. The sparkly sidewalks at Westview Village, and the pebbly floor at Lake Air Mall.

39. Standing in a line for Star Wars at 25th Street Theater....the line wrapped around the building!

40. Dr. Manske.

41. When Richland Mall was called Richland FASHION Mall.

42. When 19th Street above Lake Shore Drive was called Cedar Break Mountain.

43. School field trips to Coca-Cola Bottling Company... and free samples.

44. Robertson's Ice Cream at Waco Drive and 18th Street.

45. Eating a fish basket in the back seat of my parents' car at Chatham's Drive-In on Waco Drive at Valley Mills. And playing with the plastic giraffe or monkey that decorated my drink.

46. "Twin Theaters" at Diamond Point, Ivy Square, the Richland Mall, and on the hill ABOVE Richland Mall.

47. Buying models and paint at The Hobby Shop across 18th Street from Sears.

48. Going to Baylor games at Floyd Casey Stadium on South Valley Mills Drive.

49. Waiting in the car with my brother while my mom went into S&H Green Stamp Redemption Center next to Cogdell's to pick up something really nice!

50. Being in hypnotic disbelief at all the toys in Molitor's!

51. Learning to drive and my Dad saying, as we drove through the Circle from Valley Mills Drive to LaSalle, "Just drive through it. If you hesitate, you'll cause an accident." I STILL hear him say that EVERY TIME I come up to the Circle, and I always will. And I've never had an accident there!

52. The cool windmill at Zuider Zee Restaurant in the parking lot of Fairgate Shopping Center.

53. Soda fountains/grills at William's Drugs and Woolworth's.

54. When New Road ended at Waco Drive.

55. Getting a Golden Egg along with my new shoes!

56. Lake Air Mall, decorated for Christmas!

57. The incredible food at Piccadilly and Chicken Shack, and the grandparents who always seemed to be there!

58. Kiddieland next door to Putt-Putt, the Super Slide, Lion's Pool and the locally owned, Waco original McDonald's....what more could we ask for?!?!

59. Getting lost in the new version of the old Hillcrest Hospital.

60. The awesome pizza and live entertainment at Shakey's Pizza Parlor.

Remember?!?
4th and Inches
I remember most of those...
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Remember most as well.

Couldn't believe Molitor's was #50.

and Shakey's was great pizza.

Louis' Shoes downtown or at Lake Air Mall.

#1 on the list is still a memory from a tour in Pre-K. We went in the factory, the tour guide pulled a fresh loaf off the line and slapped a paintbrush of mustard on slices and handed them to us. It melted in our mouths.
Old300Bear
As a Baylor freshman in 1967 we would go to 7-11 and get a pound of butter, a quart of milk each, a big jar of honey, then go to Mrs. Baird's and get a loaf of warm bread each. Heaven!
Fred Barber
curtpenn
Only lived in Waco during my Baylor days from '73-'78. Thanks for the memory joggers. I also saw Star Wars for the first time at the 25th St. Theater. Pretty sure I saw The Exorcist there as a freshman, as well. Seems funny now, but it caused quite a stir at the time. Yeah, the 3 Stooges at Poppa Rollo's! Proposed to my first wife at Judge Baylor's statue and then took her to dinner at Waterworks. The McDonald's on 35 west of the campus was the first McDonald's I had ever been to. Got my first credit card from Sears in Waco; I think you only had to be a student to qualify - lol. Hard to imagine life without a bunch of bank cards in my wallet.... "Baylor Stadium" and HOT! First 35mm camera came from Padgitt's. Drag boat races on the Brazos. Good times. Oh, and of course, George's and Big Os!
WacoKelly83
My first date ever was when I was in junior high and we went to the Orpheum theater and saw Tommy. Cool movie but probably not the best for a first date. The balcony was pretty cool though.

Pretty dicey in downtown Waco at the time. There was a huge gang fight on the street in front of the theater. Dad couldn't get there soon enough to get us out of there!
Edmond Bear

Only lived in Waco during my Baylor years but have always considered Waco a second hometown. Homecoming has been a 5 day vacation every year for 25+ years and we come down multiple times every year.

Thrilled that Waco is developing and growing like it is.
whitetrash
WacoKelly83 said:

My first date ever was when I was in junior high and we went to the Orpheum theater and saw Tommy. Cool movie but probably not the best for a first date. The balcony was pretty cool though.

Pretty dicey in downtown Waco at the time. There was a huge gang fight on the street in front of the theater. Dad couldn't get there soon enough to get us out of there!
I don't think I was ever allowed to go to the Orpheum, and the only movie I can recall having seen at the Waco (now the Hippodrome) was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when I was 7 in 1969.
trey3216
Can't believe Uncle Dan's made this list
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
TrapIt4Life
This made me want to eat an ice cream sundae out of a boot from J.T. McCords all of a sudden.

Maybe hit up the Skaggs Alpha Beta for some Blue Bell.
dave714
I had Dr.Manske also. I'm 52
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.