Favorite Location To Fish

2,481 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
Brian Ethridge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Growing up around Waco, there were always several opportunities to fish. Whether it be at a stock tank, Brazos, Bosque, Lake Waco, Tradinghouse, Lake Whitney, etc the species and variety made a fun day.

So, where did you grow up fishing in and around Waco and which was your favorite?
CorsicanaBear
Seafood case at HEB.
Illigitimus non carborundum
dougl999
Trolling Tradinghouse for huge Redfish.

White bass run on the Bosque River.

T-REX
Buena Vista Park/Timbercrest Park. Small little pond that is stocked with rainbow trout at least semi-annually if I recall. I only suggest it because I did my Eagle Scout project there. Replaced all of the old wood on the 2 walking bridges there and repainted the hand rails. You may not catch a fish but you can walk all over my lifes work!! haha
Dia del DougO
I was an avid bass fisherman back in my youth. I used to fish in the swimming pool at Williamsburg APts for practice. Caught a couple of small bass in the Brazos behind Baylor in my college days.

Didn't fish Waco all that much, Tradinghouse a few times, hit some little private pond where you could throw in a few bucks by the honor system. Spent some time at Whitney with my dad and friends, big striper and one lunker largemouth.

But I did most of my fishing, nearly all, at Lake Belton. Won a bigass open bass tournament there in the late 80s, with my bro, kicked 120 teams asses, won big bass and first place stringer, pretty nice checks. Hit a few lakes elsewhere with the bass club, but I was always happy fishing my home lake, Belton.

I wish I still had an operable bass boat, both for fishing and looking for birds up the river, eagles and stuff. I hardly go any more, though I buy a license every year.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
CorsicanaBear
Requisite Willy Landum link.

http://platinumweb.net/Willy/GoFishing6.mp3

Good luck, and keep a tight line.
4th and Inches
T-REX said:

Buena Vista Park/Timbercrest Park. Small little pond that is stocked with rainbow trout at least semi-annually if I recall. I only suggest it because I did my Eagle Scout project there. Replaced all of the old wood on the 2 walking bridges there and repainted the hand rails. You may not catch a fish but you can walk all over my lifes work!! haha
they stock trout in the winter and catfish in the summer... usually around once a month.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
ABC BEAR
CorsicanaBear said:

Requisite Willy Landum link.

http://platinumweb.net/Willy/GoFishing6.mp3

Good luck, and keep a tight line.
Yep.....fishing guide to the stars. Whatever happened to his old pal, Vinnie DeLoogey?
CorsicanaBear
My faves were Sam From Sales and Heywood Yasueme.
HunterBear
Stock tank and creek on relative's place in Coryell County.
Gold Tron
Cap'N D's
WILLIS
Rambling post..

First fish I ever caught was at one of the ponds off Fish Pond Rd in Waco. Lots of catfish in the Leon River towards Mound, Leon Junction, etc. -- always enjoyed seeing people display the heads on their ranch gates.

My dad has a huge redfish mounted from Tradinghouse creek reservoir in the late 70's. They used to have a little river fishing cabin up the Brazos and did well there. Remember hearing about how there were a bunch of loose howler monkeys? living up in the pecan trees along the river. Anyone ever heard/seen that? Long time ago.

Have a buddy that fishes in some of those weekly bass tournaments on Lake Waco. Seems like it's one of the best lakes in the state (for fishing) these days since the corps raised water level in 2005.

There used to be a bait shop/gas station on the corner of Lake Air and Hillcrest. Dad lived next door and would get minnows from the vat there, ride his horse to the lake, and go catch crappie. This was in the 60's.
KajunKarlsdad
My daughter's been living in Waco the last 5 years and the biggest thing she misses about home is the fishing. She loves catching redfish and speckled trout. Making her summer trip home to fish in a couple of weeks.
Told her to bring a couple rods back to Waco with her to maybe try bank fishing around the lake area but she didn't want to.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
KajunKarlsdad said:

My daughter's been living in Waco the last 5 years and the biggest thing she misses about home is the fishing. She loves catching redfish and speckled trout. Making her summer trip home to fish in a couple of weeks.
Told her to bring a couple rods back to Waco with her to maybe try bank fishing around the lake area but she didn't want to.
Tell her to pack up her reels and head South for 3 hours if she wants reds and specks.
CTbruin
My dad always took me to Lake Belton. Even took me out of school when crappie were spawning.
Wineguy89
My grandparents "Ranch" in Walnut Springs an hour out of town over the lake. Had a sticks pond and a creek. Fished them both morning and evening many a summer day back then. Have half a mind to go back down there and sneak back into the tank some game day weekend and see if there are still any fish.....
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
SSadler
Downed trees in the Navasota River east of Fort Parker Dam. (halfway between Mexia and Groesbeck).

Cane poles, corks and minnows for bait. From the bank or from a flatboat.

Nothin but white crappie.

Catch'em, clean'em, fry'em, eat'em--all within 12 hours.
KajunKarlsdad
Brian Ethridge said:

KajunKarlsdad said:

Tell her to pack up her reels and head South for 3 hours if she wants reds and specks.
Well here you can keep 5 reds and 25 specks and it's easy to limit out. The La. coastal estuary is unreal.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
KajunKarlsdad said:

Brian Ethridge said:

KajunKarlsdad said:

Well here you can keep 5 reds and 25 specks and it's easy to limit out. The La. coastal estuary is unreal.
Texas has a lesser limit, but more people, but still fun to catch and release the under and over size.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.