Waco Concert Calendar

9,855 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GoldMind
CammoTX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'll start.

Rodney Crowell is coming to play at The Backyard on Friday, September 6th.

https://www.stubwire.com/event/rodneycrowell/thebackyard/waco/20004/
baylor88bear
The pride of Galena Park and damn good
Wineguy89
Rumors (Fleetwood MAC cover band) weekend of UTSA game and Steve Wariner (loved him Back in the day) Tech weekend. BU Game/concert double header = fun weekends!!
Richard Reese
(True) Freshman - Bellville, TX
152 carries/791 yards/5.2 YPC/12 touchdowns
11 receptions/80 yards
1 game clinching studly TD vs Kansas
ZERO fumbles

Brett “Big Ballz” Yormark- Commissioner Big 12-16 Conference
One badass new TV contract with more goodies to come
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Wineguy89 said:

Rumors (Fleetwood MAC cover band) weekend of UTSA game and Steve Wariner (loved him Back in the day) Tech weekend. BU Game/concert double header = fun weekends!!
Fleetwood Mac cover will be a lot of fun. I love a good cover band. Much better bang for the buck than the original IMO.

trey3216
Wineguy89 said:

Rumors is a really, really good cover band.

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Edmond Bear

Just did a quick check of Bands in Town and see that Waco and the area averages 7 live music events every Friday and Saturday night. It's not Austin but there's plenty to see.

Of course, The Backyard and The Hippodrome have something every Fri and Sat. But, I was surprised to see Shoepf's BBQ in Belton with people like Cory Morrow, Roger Creagor, and Kody West. Those are some decent names. Anyone been to Shoepf's for BBQ or a concert?

Mr Tulip
I really appreciate you guys posting these. While I avoid country music like I avoid poison ivy, I do like to hear live music. Unfortunately, it's necessary for me to schedule and plan these things, and I usually find out about them the night of.

I've got a few friends in bands around town, and they give me advance notice when they can. However, your tips really help!
transmit5by9
I'm not a particularly big fan of Country either, but you should consider seeing Rodney Crowell at The Backyard if you can. He's one of the great songwriters of the past 30 years, and he usually has top backup musicians. As long as the weather cooperates, The Backyard should be an excellent venue too.
CammoTX
Country is too broad to be lumped into one category. Rodney Crowell is not the manufactured homogeneous garbage you hear on mainstream country radio.

Sirius is worth the money for the Outlaw County channel alone
Wineguy89
Ashley Hodge said:

Wineguy89 said:

Fleetwood Mac cover will be a lot of fun. I love a good cover band. Much better bang for the buck than the original IMO.

Maybe we get a group of 365'ers to that concert after the game and keep the good times a rollin'?!?!
Richard Reese
11 receptions/80 yards
ZERO fumbles

Dia del DougO
I miss the football game day concerts outside the stadium. Somebody dig up a new sponsor and bring that back.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
Edm said:

But, I was surprised to see Shoepf's BBQ in Belton with people like Cory Morrow, Roger Creagor, and Kody West. Those are some decent names. Anyone been to Shoepf's for BBQ or a concert?

I live nearby but have never been. The Thursday night concert series is also free. I just don't like this modern country stuff that's popular these days. I still need to make myself go because I used to really enjoy live music.

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
trey3216
Dia del DougO said:

Edm said:

But, I was surprised to see Shoepf's BBQ in Belton with people like Cory Morrow, Roger Creagor, and Kody West. Those are some decent names. Anyone been to Shoepf's for BBQ or a concert?

I live nearby but have never been. The Thursday night concert series is also free. I just don't like this modern country stuff that's popular these days. I still need to make myself go because I used to really enjoy live music.

They don't have the modern stuff at Shoepf's. It's mostly the Red Dirt circuit or the occasional Bellamy Bros type ordeal.

Speaking of Shoepf's, I love their setup, but their BBQ is quite average. The only thing I really like there is if you go on saturday and get the smoked ribeye.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
PartyBear
Dia del DougO said:

I miss the football game day concerts outside the stadium. Somebody dig up a new sponsor and bring that back.
Wasnt that just one season and ironically the 16 season? If it was just that season I know it was arranged prior to when folks were expecting the program to really take off. But I do not remember it prior. I remember the Gin Blossums were the band for opening night in 16. I was just thinking about that the other day that they need to get that kind of thing cranked back up.
Boernebear
PartyBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

Wasnt that just one season and ironically the 16 season? If it was just that season I know it was arranged prior to when folks were expecting the program to really take off. But I do not remember it prior. I remember the Gin Blossums were the band for opening night in 16. I was just thinking about that the other day that they need to get that kind of thing cranked back up.

YES! Was just about to post this same thing.

Can we all start harassing the fan engagement team at Baylor to get this going again this season?!
Dia del DougO
PartyBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

Yep. They had some good bands, the Cadillac Three being by far the highlight of the series, GB were great, too. It was epic having those bands play here. But hardly anybody paid attention to it because the football fans had no idea these touring bands were there. They probably just thought it was going to be some local acts when they walked past the stage. They could have at least placed a couple of signs along the walk to the stadium. Marketing of the thing was non-existent. It should have been the start of a great tradition and a major addition to the stadium experience, a big time thing.

Dia del DougO
trey3216 said:

Dia del DougO said:

Edm said:

They don't have the modern stuff at Shoepf's. It's mostly the Red Dirt circuit or the occasional Bellamy Bros type ordeal.

Speaking of Shoepf's, I love their setup, but their BBQ is quite average. The only thing I really like there is if you go on saturday and get the smoked ribeye.
Yeah, I don't like the Red Dirt stuff. If they had more bluegrassy type stuff I could go for that.

Schoepf's never had good brisket, but the big pork chop was great when it was affordable and always freshly made. They jacked up the prices and lowered the quality and consistency of the meats. I go there maybe twice a year, and then only because I'm sick of everything else in the area.

They used to have a good half chicken, but every time I get it it's cold, like they just pulled it out of a fridge, and doesn't have much flavor. They have some good sides, but the price per volume is ridiculous.
Dia del DougO

I finally made it to one of the Schoepf's shows. I saw The Steel Woods, which I had never heard of before. After checking out some of their stuff online I decided it was something I could enjoy, and they were good.

Not a big crowd, maybe 100 folks total, about 30-ish standing in front of the stage. Here are a couple of pics.

Yogi
For you Skid Row fans, Sebastian Bach is going to be at The Backyard on October 19th.

Also, a Metallica tribute band comes in August 4. If they are anywhere near as good as the AC DC tribute that played a couple of weeks ago, it will be an awesome night.

https://www.backyardwaco.com/concerts/
SoonerFrogs
Sebastian is a straight up a**hole. Good luck.
WILLIS
Koe Wetzel is playing Thursday (7/18) at the Backyard. Sort of a punk rock/southern rock/texas country combo. Good stuff.
Dia del DougO
Schoepf's is going to have an AC/DC tribute band in October. But I'll probably be occupied with shooting football that day.
Yogi
Dia del DougO said:

Schoepf's is going to have an AC/DC tribute band in October. But I'll probably be occupied with shooting football that day.
I believe it is the same one that played The Backyard on July 5.

They have some good original material as well, but can crank that classic AC/DC sound. (more Brian Johnson era)
Yogi
SoonerFrogs said:

Sebastian is a straight up a**hole. Good luck.
I remember him.
SoonerFrogs
Love letters in the sand?
GoldMind
U miss Ragweed?
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
Dia del DougO
I saw Whiskey Myers with Bones Owens at Scheopf's on Friday night. Place was jam packed, something like 1500 inside and several hundred more set up around town listening for free.

I saw that Eric Johnson will be playing at the Backyard in September, much more in my wheelhouse.
BaylorGuy314
I've become somewhat of a fan of Sam Riggs. He's playing at the Backyard 9/13. Check him out on Spotify if youve never heard of him. He started off in a bit of a Red Dirt realm (which I am particularly fond of) and has moved to more rock. He has been skyrocketing in popularity and I can attest that he is a top notch stage performer. Music aside, he just does a great job entertaining you during the shows.

I'm also excited about Parker McCollum on 8/30.
Moondoggie
Steve wariner is playing here because his daughter is a bear undergrad.
GoldMind
pitchman said:

Singer of one of the saddest songs ever written
Winning by cheating is just as impressive as winning fairly, probably even more so. Your opponent was better than you in every way, and you beat them with your brain.
BaylorGuy314
GoldMind said:

pitchman said:

Holes in the floor of heaven?
GoldMind
BaylorGuy314 said:

GoldMind said:

pitchman said:

Holes in the floor of heaven?

And her tears are pouring down
lrwells50
Dia del DougO said:

PartyBear said:

Dia del DougO said:

Yep. They had some good bands, the Cadillac Three being by far the highlight of the series, GB were great, too. It was epic having those bands play here. But hardly anybody paid attention to it because the football fans had no idea these touring bands were there. They probably just thought it was going to be some local acts when they walked past the stage. They could have at least placed a couple of signs along the walk to the stadium. Marketing of the thing was non-existent. It should have been the start of a great tradition and a major addition to the stadium experience, a big time thing.

I knew the bands were there, but it was hotter than hell at the first games, and we were tailgating in the shade. I remember seeing info about it, so maybe it wasn't that people didn't know, but they either went straight to the game, or were tailgating.

Also, they'd need to have music from 20-30 years earlier to appeal to me.
bularry
Ashley Hodge said:

Wineguy89 said:

When the original is 75, completely agree
Wineguy89
bularry said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Wineguy89 said:

When the original is 75, completely agree

True dat!! For reals though we need to get a group of us out to that concert that night and celebrate with victory cocktails and some such!!
Richard Reese
11 receptions/80 yards
ZERO fumbles

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.