Is Woodway Dry?

5,381 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Stranger
CorsicanaBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There are almost no restaurants along the 84 Corridor from 6 out, just Big Hat, Slow Rise and the take out pizza joint at Estates and there is no liquor store near the H-E-B. Is Woodway dry or are there other issues?

As a bonus question, has anyone heard what may be going in at the Outlook? Does proximity to FBC Woodway preclude decent restaurants there?
Illigitimus non carborundum
PartyBear
I thought there was at least one restaurant planned there. Not saying it is a big chain or anything. I dont think any place in McLennan County is dry though. I just think much of that area is zoned as residential, though as the times are changing that may be changing as well. There is controversy about some new residential development on the corner of Ritchie and Sandalwood. It is residential though. I think the controversy surrounds tearing up some of the last of the forest area there for nice houses but quite alot packed into a small overall acreage.
CorsicanaBear
I thought when Big Hat opened it would spark some other restaurant openings there. Instead we got exactly what we needed on 84, another Bank.
Old300Bear
There is a new area going in right next to the Midway ISD building that will supposedly have shopping and restaurants.
Fred Barber
GSgobears
You can get beer and wine in Woodway, just no liquor. Hat Creek and Slow Rise will both serve you a beer.
CorsicanaBear
Correct, had them at both. So is Woodway beer and wine only?

I raise this question not because I'm dying to get my drink on, but because no good restaurants are going to open without a liquor license and a full bar. It would also be convenient to have a Twin Liquors or Specs near the HEB. A location at the corner of Hewitt/Estates Drive and 84 would be a logical location, an expected location.
PartyBear
This area you described is Waco actually I believe if you are meaning across from HEB. I'm pretty sure the HEB is technically in Waco. Nothing is preventing a liquor store from going into that location if that is Waco.
CorsicanaBear
Except maybe the proximity to Woodway Elementary. I checked, Woodway provides for liquor licenses in their code and that the licensed activity be 300 feet from a school or church. State law provides that a public (or private) school board may, separately from any other entity, request that there be no liquor licenses within 1000 feet. The 1000 feet is apparently measured from the edge of each property.
TrapIt4Life
CorsicanaBear said:

I thought when Big Hat opened it would spark some other restaurant openings there. Instead we got exactly what we needed on 84, another Bank.
This was my exact reaction to this as well...got all excited, finally some promising commerce along that stretch...fun new invigorating graphics stoking my optimism...and bank.
TrapIt4Life
I too am very curious what all is going to be included in the Outlook area by the Midway admin building. I think a group of restaurants with common area (like The Grove in Tyler, or for any of you Seaside/Watercolor fans, "The HUB" on 30A) would make an absolute killing. Just crush and destroy. Would be such a departure from the constant churn of meh that keeps coming through Woodway/Hewitt. Give us something a little more novel than another Golden Chick.

Something like this:

baylrballa
TrapIt4Life said:

I too am very curious what all is going to be included in the Outlook area by the Midway admin building. I think a group of restaurants with common area (like The Grove in Tyler, or for any of you Seaside/Watercolor fans, "The HUB" on 30A) would make an absolute killing. Just crush and destroy. Would be such a departure from the constant churn of meh that keeps coming through Woodway/Hewitt. Give us something a little more novel than another Golden Chick.

Something like this:

The catchphrase I heard was "like the Domain in Austin" which elicited a strong eyeroll.

Really will be disappointed if there aren't at least a couple restaurants in there.
Stranger
The HEB is actually in Woodway. All the area around it and across the street from it is in the city limits of Waco. I know this because I used to own property across the street from HEB.

When HEB arrived around 1990, Woodway was completely dry. The City of Woodway made an exception to their law that would allow HEB to sell beer and wine if they would build their store in Woodway. HEB is the largest contributor to sales tax revenue in Woodway with gross sales of close to $3 million per week.
Yogi
George's bro!! It's in Waco but in the area.

They do need more bars in Hewitt-Woodway, but when you can't get a Chick-Fil-A to break ground...
whitetrash
HEB is Woodway. Strip center across Hewitt Dr (Shipleys/Subway/Wells Fargo) is Woodway, as is Title Company behind it. Everything else on both sides of Hewitt Dr is City of Waco until you pass the new Scholtzsky's just before Midway schools. Georges/Rosatis/Walmart/135 Prime/Poppa Rollos/et al are all in Waco. Midway middle school and FB stadium are in Hewitt; high school and soccer field are in Waco.
No Longer Gold
When anyone says, "it's like an Austin place" I am immediately out.

There is not ONE redeeming quality about any place I've been to in that town other than the original Texadelphia pre 1999 or seeing the bats fly out from under the bridge at sunset.

I. Just. Don't. Get. It.
IASIP Rocks
TrapIt4Life said:

Something like this:

I wouldn't hold your breath. I'd say there's a strong chance there will be a place that serves pizza, chicken fingers, or tex-mex though.
Gasmanctsv
I live near the the Outlook construction area...I think I remember reading that a second Moroso's is going in there as well as a martini bar....I'm not going to hold my breath until I see it happen though.
CorsicanaBear
Moroso's would in Woodway would be excellent. Martini's are a home drink.
PartyBear
Gasmanctsv said:

I live near the the Outlook construction area...I think I remember reading that a second Moroso's is going in there as well as a martini bar....I'm not going to hold my breath until I see it happen though.

I have not heard details of what is going into the development. But those ideas sound interesting.
bularry
DubDub said:

There is not ONE redeeming quality about any place I've been to in that town other than the original Texadelphia pre 1999 or seeing the bats fly out from under the bridge at sunset.

I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

You definitely don't
bularry
CorsicanaBear said:

Moroso's would in Woodway would be excellent. Martini's are a home drink.

Don't understand that second sentence
BaylorGuy314
Naw, it rains pretty often, especially in the spring.
CorsicanaBear
I only drink martini's at home. Therefore a martini bar is of lesser interest to me than Morosos.
PartyBear
If what some of you are saying is correct about this development, this will really transform Woodway, particularly that part, which has always been just a purely residential suburb. It is hard for me to picture a cool restaurant and what sounds like a trendy bar being located right off of almost Richie Rd and 84.
Yogi
CorsicanaBear said:

I only drink martini's at home. Therefore a martini bar is of lesser interest to me than Morosos.

I don't know. You should try out Blue Dog next time you are in Waco. It's at Cobbs and N. Valley Mills in what used to be Diamond Point.
SoonerFrogs
is Diamond Point barber still there?
Stranger
Yogi said:

CorsicanaBear said:

I don't know. You should try out Blue Dog next time you are in Waco. It's at Cobbs and N. Valley Mills in what used to be Diamond Point.

Alvin, formerly of the 19th Hole at Ridgewood Country Club, tends bar at the Blue Dog.
cowboycwr
whitetrash said:

HEB is Woodway. Strip center across Hewitt Dr (Shipleys/Subway/Wells Fargo) is Woodway, as is Title Company behind it. Everything else on both sides of Hewitt Dr is City of Waco until you pass the new Scholtzsky's just before Midway schools. Georges/Rosatis/Walmart/135 Prime/Poppa Rollos/et al are all in Waco. Midway middle school and FB stadium are in Hewitt; high school and soccer field are in Waco.
The whole area you are describing can be a bit confusing on what city you are in at times with the way the city lines go. Waco goes all the way down Imperial from Highway 6 to Chapel out to the city Dump and the area that is Waco off that strip varies. When you go through some of those neighborhoods off those roads you can go from Waco to Hewitt and not even realize it. Or Waco to Woodway.

But I guess that is how it works in lots of city boundaries all over. I remember growing up in the Houston area and there being streets that one side was Houston and the other was Aldine, Humble, Spring, etc.
whitetrash
cowboycwr said:

whitetrash said:

The whole area you are describing can be a bit confusing on what city you are in at times with the way the city lines go. Waco goes all the way down Imperial from Highway 6 to Chapel out to the city Dump and the area that is Waco off that strip varies. When you go through some of those neighborhoods off those roads you can go from Waco to Hewitt and not even realize it. Or Waco to Woodway.

But I guess that is how it works in lots of city boundaries all over. I remember growing up in the Houston area and there being streets that one side was Houston and the other was Aldine, Humble, Spring, etc.
If you saw the story on the news this morning, thieves stole a forklift at the Alliance Bank construction site (in Woodway) and used it to pry off and steal the ATM at FNB Central Texas next door (in Waco). But if they had crossed the street and stolen the ATM at First Guaranty instead, it would have been City of Woodway.
BaylorHistory
DubDub said:

I. Just. Don't. Get. It.
We need an unpopular opinion thread. There are certainly negatives of Austin, but we make the drive down 2 or 3 times a month for stuff you can't get/do in Waco.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
PartyBear
Waco is actually like an Austin Jr.. Sorry that offends some people. I'm not saying it will ever grow up to be another Austin. But it is like a miniature one now in the heart of downtown. Austin (ironic name) Ave is its 6th Street and Austin Ave will only continue to redevelop.
Bear Doc
I prefer to think of Austin as San Fransisco East now...
No Longer Gold
BaylorHistory said:

DubDub said:

I. Just. Don't. Get. It.
We need an unpopular opinion thread. There are certainly negatives of Austin, but we make the drive down 2 or 3 times a month for stuff you can't get/do in Waco.

All of those things your drive down for are better in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and about a dozen other places in Texas.
forza orsi
Stranger said:

The HEB is actually in Woodway. All the area around it and across the street from it is in the city limits of Waco. I know this because I used to own property across the street from HEB.

When HEB arrived around 1990, Woodway was completely dry. The City of Woodway made an exception to their law that would allow HEB to sell beer and wine if they would build their store in Woodway. HEB is the largest contributor to sales tax revenue in Woodway with gross sales of close to $3 million per week.

HEB is Woodway and and to be technical, most of the property across the street is Woodway. It's Waco up to the little strip center on the corner. The strip center stores are in Waco and its parking lot and the Wells Fargo Bank are in Woodway.
Stranger
forza orsi said:

Stranger said:

HEB is Woodway and and to be technical, most of the property across the street is Woodway. It's Waco up to the little strip center on the corner. The strip center stores are in Waco and its parking lot and the Wells Fargo Bank are in Woodway.

When I developed the property I owned, there was a Woodway water line and a city of Waco water line going across the front of the property. I was given a choice of whose water I wanted. Waco water was much cheaper so I chose Waco. Mine and the property next to me was Waco all the way to the back of Crossroads center.
I'm a Bearbacker
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.