New Baylor Hotel

24,447 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by trey3216
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apparently there is a new hotel being built on the area of land across the river from the Ferrell Center. It looks to be 16 stories and will be Baylor's primary hotel of use. Grant Hotel. Does this mean they eventually build another bridge over the river? Especially since the B-ball arena will be a little closer to the river.
baylrballa
could help the parking concerns for the new arena if they add a garage too.
UBBY
I hope that idea works out. It seems they make it about as hard as they can for you to get to the FC as it stands. I can't imagine how much more difficult it could be with shaving off parking spaces. Yes, I know it will be a smaller venue. The UConn game last year was a logistical nightmare.
UBBY
PTGHUNTER
It will be an ambitious project if they are building the mountains seen in the background, of that picture.
trey3216
PTGHUNTER said:

It will be an ambitious project if they are building the mountains seen in the background, of that picture.
Mt. Carmel is impressive from the river bottom.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
ABC BEAR
Will there be a bar named the Brownwater Lounge overlooking the river?
Boernebear
I knew they were planning a hotel, but thought it was going to be along I-35 at U-Parks adjacent to the new welcome center, bookstore and possibly restaurants and a market.

That I-35 location would be much better for a building like this than across the river unless they are planning massive improvements over there including a new bridge.
Old300Bear
I think LaSalle just got included in the area that can get TIF funds.
Fred Barber
geewago
UBBY said:

I hope that idea works out. It seems they make it about as hard as they can for you to get to the FC as it stands. I can't imagine how much more difficult it could be with shaving off parking spaces. Yes, I know it will be a smaller venue. The UConn game last year was a logistical nightmare.
^^^^THIS^^^^^ times 10
Old300Bear
Kind of an ugly building.
Fred Barber
PartyBear
I like the subtle green and vegas gold coloring of the building in the draw ups.

As to the building I think it looks nice.
Boernebear
Old300Bear said:

Agreed, I'm not a fan of the architecture; feels late 90s/early 2000's to me, but that's probably the conservative look they're going for.

Still don't like the location if this is true. It's not walkable to campus or downtown when the school has an alternative site that could achieve both plus much better visibility from 35.
Old300Bear
This isn't a Baylor build, is it?
Fred Barber
UBBY
Someone on the free board already talked about it and says it's a Hyatt hotel. They hope to have it built before the 2020 football season.
lrwells50
Old300Bear said:

It doesn't bother me. Reminds me of the Hilton of the 60's at Mockingbird and Central in Dallas.
cowboycwr
I would think if they planned on adding a bridge with this hotel that they would have announced it already. It took a while to get the bridge approved for the stadium and seems like it would be poor planning (IMO) to start building the hotel without approval for a bridge.
Old300Bear
It is across LaSalle, bridge won't help.
Fred Barber
Born_A_Bear
"Grant Hotel"?
Tiny Elvis
I hope it will be air-conditioned.
OsoCoreyell
Born_A_Bear said:

"Grant Hotel"?
Hmmm. Can you think of a Grant that has been associated with Baylor?
OsoCoreyell
They were going to call it "The Heart of Texas Hotel."
Bear1969
When a new 2-story Motel 6 is being planned it makes the front page headline of the Waco Trib but there has been no mention of a 16-story hotel on the river?
UBBY
I drove over on LaSalle to look at the site. The gravel pit area first. I heard they are working on sewage. They have cleaned out most of that area and have a couple of cranes there. I didn't see any PVC pipes for plumbing. According to the link Ashley put out, this is the area for the Grant Hotel.
The other area by the the track has a path mowed but nothing done yet.
Yogi
Would look spectacular from the Ballpark!

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Would look spectacular from the Ballpark!

Except I don't think you could see it from the ball park if it's in the "Gravel Pit" location across LaSalle except from the bleachers down the 3rd base line.
Illigitimus non carborundum
PartyBear
What hasn't been mentioned is that there are towers and power lines running along the river bank on that property which of course is lined up with power lines in other places. That is going to have to be reconfigured. I'm assuming this is supposed to be like a river side resort with a pool and out door bar with a river view.

What is being built next to the grass field of Baylor's right across the river?
Pea Weevil
You do realize of course that they could have called it Grant Teaff Hotel and greatly reduced their marketing budget since it would then be 100% obvious where it was located. It's not too late...

Here's a link to more information about it: https://www.waco-texas.com/userfiles/cms-root/file/Z-18-19.pdf

Pea Weevil
FrankFallonCalling
I think I saw that their riverboat is supposed to be called the Lady Donnell. Seems like that makes the tie pretty explicit.
UBBY
If you go to baylorbears.com they put up some more details on the hotel. Upper right hand corner.
It's going to be one of the tallest buildings in Waco at 17 stories.
Old300Bear
The look is growing on me. Have to admit that this is pretty impressive. Love the two boats. Hope it prospers!
Fred Barber
Yogi
Old300Bear said:

This isn't a Baylor build, is it?
No steeples...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Fat Daddy
I forgot about reading about this earlier .... and tonight the "Grant Hotel" was doing a lot of advertising at the game. When I saw the infomercial on the video board I told my wife, "that sounds like something xxxxxxxxxx would try. If it is, it will never happen".

I came home and did a little research .... and that appears to be the person behind it.

I sure hope BU isn't investing real dollars in this project! And if it goes like the other projects that this person has introduced and never completed, I certainly hope that Grant is only a spokesman.... and collected any endorsement fee in cash!

You think if you buy a lottery ticket every week, eventually you would win.... but that doesn't happen.

Old300Bear
I think it will actually get built. Looks like they are doing dirt work on the site now. I hope it flies. It would be a nice addition to the road in from Houston.
Fred Barber
PartyBear
I don't know who's name was blocked out a couple posts above. However this is Hyatt doing this. It is one of several chain hotels coming in but with a Bayloresque name and attached to it and Baylor theming (green and gold decor etc.). But it is a Hyatt hotel. Baylor doesn't own it and isn't building it and it isn't on Baylor's property.

That said they need someone other than Teaff doing the ads for it. It comes off rather the opposite of humble.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.