Waco: AC Hotel by Marriott Planned in Downtown

6,097 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BearlyHeardFrom
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.virtualbx.com/feature-story/waco-ac-hotel-by-marriott-planned-in-downtown/

The $40.4 million project will face Mary Avenue and include a small restaurant, a bar/lounge with outdoor and streetscape seating, a 19,963-square-foot executive conference center, a two-story commercial/retail shell component, and a five-level parking garage.

The conference center will feature an 8,000-square-foot ballroom divisible into five salons, and an adjacent 4,300-square-foot terrace area. The conference center will be located on the hotel's western side, and offer some surface parking opportunities.

Construction is tentatively scheduled to start by July 2020 and wrap up in December 2021. The hotel will replace a building once operated by Olmsted-Kirk Paper Co., which months ago announced plans to relocate its Waco facility to another spot in town.

SRH adds in the documents that its new hotel in Waco "will be a further cornerstone to future downtown and Mary Avenue pedestrian development and bring amenities and features not presently in the Waco downtown market."

Hotel development has increased in the Waco area lately. Two planned separate hotel projects in downtown Waco Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites are slated to receive TIF funds. Both of those hotel developments will involve parking structures with public spaces.

Elsewhere in Waco, Marriott is building a SpringHill Suites hotel and an Aloft hotel, and InterContinental Hotels Group plans to build a Staybridge Suites.

whitetrash
UBBY said:

https://www.virtualbx.com/feature-story/waco-ac-hotel-by-marriott-planned-in-downtown/

The $40.4 million project will face Mary Avenue and include a small restaurant, a bar/lounge with outdoor and streetscape seating, a 19,963-square-foot executive conference center, a two-story commercial/retail shell component, and a five-level parking garage.

The conference center will feature an 8,000-square-foot ballroom divisible into five salons, and an adjacent 4,300-square-foot terrace area. The conference center will be located on the hotel's western side, and offer some surface parking opportunities.

Construction is tentatively scheduled to start by July 2020 and wrap up in December 2021. The hotel will replace a building once operated by Olmsted-Kirk Paper Co., which months ago announced plans to relocate its Waco facility to another spot in town.

SRH adds in the documents that its new hotel in Waco "will be a further cornerstone to future downtown and Mary Avenue pedestrian development and bring amenities and features not presently in the Waco downtown market."

Hotel development has increased in the Waco area lately. Two planned separate hotel projects in downtown Waco Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites are slated to receive TIF funds. Both of those hotel developments will involve parking structures with public spaces.

Elsewhere in Waco, Marriott is building a SpringHill Suites hotel and an Aloft hotel, and InterContinental Hotels Group plans to build a Staybridge Suites.

Hmmm....no mention of Hotel Grant.
UBBY
This was from last month. The first individual article I saw on Grant Hotel was by the wacotrib earlier this month.
All of the hotel projects listed were already talked about by the wacotrib or on another site before virtualbx.com made their article.

Now, does that mean the Grant Hotel is officially a go as of this moment? No.
IASIP Rocks
I would hope all hotels built in Waco have AC. I mean, it's Texas.
CammoTX
literally across the street from the Silos. I wonder what that land traded for...
PartyBear
What is right across the street from the Silos?
CTbruin
CammoTX said:

literally across the street from the Silos. I wonder what that land traded for...
I believe it backs up to Silos
Boernebear
The AC will be a great addition to downtown. Yes, it's across the street/tracks from Magnolia. I'm most excited about the added retail space along 6th; should bring some new restaurant/bar activity and traditional retail catering to the Magnolia crowd as well. Huge improvement to that property from what it is today!
southtexasbear
you're right... it's behind the silo's across the tracks. It looks like it'll be across from the restaurant Hecho and Peddler's Pies...which is right across from the Dr. Pepper Museum. Great location. It will definitely increase the walking traffic from the Silo's to downtown.
trey3216
southtexasbear said:

you're right... it's behind the silo's across the tracks. It looks like it'll be across from the restaurant Hecho and Peddler's Pies...which is right across from the Dr. Pepper Museum. Great location. It will definitely increase the walking traffic from the Silo's to downtown.
Walking traffic downtown is proportionately as high as it was in 1953. Definitely the most walkable it's been since I've lived here.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Grinnin bear
So where will the new Embassy Suites locate in relation to the Silos?
- Sometimes you just gotta grin and bear it.
Yogi
I believe it is on South 2nd Street right behind Diamond Back's-Cricket's-Ninfa's. So, a few blocks away.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Boernebear
And across 3rd Street from the Embassy Suites (which will be behind Ninfa's), there will be a Hyatt Place going in also. Will create nice needed density in that area that should encourage more walkability downtown.
UBBY
Yogi said:

I believe it is on South 2nd Street right behind Diamond Back's-Cricket's-Ninfa's. So, a few blocks away.
You are correct. I think there are going to be about 8 new hotels either in or around downtown (within 2 or less miles). Of course I'm including Grant Hotel but we will see if that gets off the ground or not.

You'll have Grant Hotel (maybe), AC, Embassy Suites, Hyatt, 3 hotels on MLK and Springhill Suites next to the Clifton Robinson Tower.
UBBY
UBBY said:

Yogi said:

You are correct. I think there are going to be about 8 new hotels either in or around downtown (within 2 or less miles). Of course I'm including Grant Hotel but we will see if that gets off the ground or not.

You'll have Grant Hotel (maybe), AC, Embassy Suites, Hyatt, 3 hotels on MLK and Springhill Suites next to the Clifton Robinson Tower.
Also Aloft hotel.
RebelT
Ugh. AC is literally the worst Marriott hotel brand.
I still don't know why KenPom likes our offense. - croyse
Kyle
RebelT said:

Girl you cray.
RebelT
Kyle said:

RebelT said:

Girl you cray.

I know of what I speak.
I still don't know why KenPom likes our offense. - croyse
FirmBear24
RebelT said:

Never heard of it. Generally stayed at Hilton properties when traveling for work. What don't you like?
PartyBear
I can't believe there are no plans for a Magnolia's Tam Shanter.
hodedofome
I like that the Hyatt Place is going in. Generally those are always a solid value and their points system is usually the best bang for the buck as well.
RebelT
FirmBear24 said:

RebelT said:

Never heard of it. Generally stayed at Hilton properties when traveling for work. What don't you like?

I'm a Marriott guy through and through -- 400+ lifetime nights with them. I should also clarify that for me, a hotel is a place to shower and (most importantly) sleep.

My problem is that they try to be so ultra-modern that it borders on ridiculous. As an example, both of the ACs I've stayed in (before I wrote them off) have tile floors in the hallways, tile floors in the rooms, and have basically nothing in the rooms themselves. What this means is that every sound from the hallway travels into your room because there is nothing to deaden the sound, and for me -- usually a heavy sleeper who isn't bothered by much -- I was woken up constantly both late at night when people were coming in and early morning when people were leaving. Truly a couple of the most miserable hotel stays I've ever had. Maybe I just got unlucky, but the consistencies between the two were enough for me to write them off for good.
FirmBear24
I looked at the AC website and it does look like its s Euro modern minimalist approach, which I cannot stand. They advertise it as getting rid of the clutter, but that renders the room a giant box from what I can tell.

I stayed at the W in Austin once and it was like that except it had carpet. Just awful. Felt like I was in a hospital, asylum, or hell with the red and grey everywhere.

Your review confirms that. Will avoid.
Kyle
Far from an expert, but it seems there are two very distinct types of AC's: the new ones are exactly as described, but some of the older hotels that Marriott bought / refurbished have some cool character. We stayed at an AC in MSY that was really cool.
Beardown1919
The AC's I've stayed at have been consistently nice, but definitely in line with what you describe. Euro modern, but I didn't have the noise issues.

I've stayed in three, two in line with expectations (Times Square and Salt Lake). The third in Spartanburg, SC was odd bc it was a new build with a very classic retro design, but in the rooms it was just like the others. Live next to one in Dallas and have had family stay there with no issues.

Easily beats Fairfield imho.

All good experience though.
Beardown1919
Kyle said:

Far from an expert, but it seems there are two very distinct types of AC's: the new ones are exactly as described, but some of the older hotels that Marriott bought / refurbished have some cool character. We stayed at an AC in MSY that was really cool.

This sounds like most Autograph properties I've stayed at, definitely a fan of those!
BearlyHeardFrom
Only 100 more nights to lifetime platinum. Also, white noise app on the phone is key for loud hotels.
RebelT
BearlyHeardFrom said:

Only 100 more nights to lifetime platinum. Also, white noise app on the phone is key for loud hotels.

I'll hit lifetime plat by the end of next year. I'll probably hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 120 nights this year...
BearlyHeardFrom
I cried a little inside when I hit it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.