Speegleville/Old Lorena Road Bridge at Hwy 84

4,774 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TrapIt4Life
Coke Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is a completion date set for this section of the highway? This may hold the record for the longest construction project on the shortest span of road in Texas history.

Has there been some type of issue or delay in the project?
CorsicanaBear
Sometime in the spring is the expected completion date and I am told, by TxDOT and District V Council Member Jim Holmes, it is running ahead of schedule.

Yes, I was incredulous too.
Illigitimus non carborundum
CTbruin
Coke Bear said:

Is a completion date set for this section of the highway? This may hold the record for the longest construction project on the shortest span of road in Texas history.

Actually the project is ahead of schedule by several months. It is a very difficult project and it sure looks like they are doing it right.

I am more concerned about the redo of Spegleville Road from Hwy 6 to Hwy 84. It is my understanding the road will be widened to 5 lanes except from the middle Bosque River to Hwy 84 (the portion in Waco city limits). I guess Waco just wants our taxes, but isn't interested in making road improvements.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

I guess Waco just wants our taxes, but isn't interested in making road improvements.
Your guess would be correct. But its worse than that, they want to punish everyone who has the temerity to not live in "Real" Waco and WISD, revenge for white flight and all that. Remarks made during the Dump fight made this evident. I think I've seen a police car once in Hidden Valley during the last 5 years.
CTbruin
I have been in Hidden Valley since 2000. And you are correct, I have seen Waco Police cars maybe 3 times. And never on patrol.
dave714
There shouldn't be crime in hidden valley.
Weston Rogers
CTbruin said:

Coke Bear said:

Actually the project is ahead of schedule by several months. It is a very difficult project and it sure looks like they are doing it right.

I am more concerned about the redo of Spegleville Road from Hwy 6 to Hwy 84. It is my understanding the road will be widened to 5 lanes except from the middle Bosque River to Hwy 84 (the portion in Waco city limits). I guess Waco just wants our taxes, but isn't interested in making road improvements.
Agree on the timing of the 84/Speegleville Rd construction... As someone who lives out here and travels it daily I feel like they're making great timing and only now towards the end of construction is it beginning to affect traffic at all.

On the second point, there's no chance that Speegleville Rd from Hwy 6 to Middle Bosque becomes 5 lanes. There's not enough ROW land or even demand on the road to dictate that much investment. They'll take out the S curves near Hwy 6, raise the road level, put down a better base to handle heavier vehicle traffic, and add shoulders like Old Lorena, but it will still be two lane traffic like it currently is. They might put a dedicated turn lane at a couple of intersections, but that would be it.
CTbruin
What I meant was a center turn lane and shoulders. It will still be "2 lane"
CorsicanaBear
They need to extend it to the Lake instead of having it make a turn away just past McLaughlin Road and then bridge the lake over to airport and connect to Steinbeck Bend. That's probably not the best way to do it, but if they connected the China Spring/Airport area to the southern part of the 84 Corridor (the two fastest growing areas) the opportunities for additional growth and the revitalization of North Waco would be excellent. Additionally I think Speegelville road is getting widened and straightened to some extent because of projected residential growth in the area. All those corn fields are going to get developed.
CTbruin
As I was trying to say, Speeglevile Rd is getting widened, except where it's in the city limits of Waco
southtexasbear
do you think they will divert traffic over the bridge while they work on side roads or wait until project is finished?
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

do you think they will divert traffic over the bridge while they work on side roads or wait until project is finished?
Based on prior history they will do what ever causes maximum confusion and congestion at the intersection. And at the worst possible time.

Murphy was an optimist.
IASIP Rocks
I live in that area and our HOA received an update from TXDOT (or the GC on the project) that they forwarded to us. Said that the westbound frontage road by Valero should be complete in October. I'd say that seems realistic based on where they are now although I would think maybe early November. The bridge is basically finished, the construction guys were driving on it in late August. Finally the two main lanes to get to the bridge are scheduled to be completed in January of 2020. So getting pretty close. I cannot wait. Then ... Speegleville will become a disaster.
TrapIt4Life
Big traffic switch on 84 if you are heading out towards McGregor, you now have to drive on the new frontage road.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Gq1iuyD
Whiskey Pete
They are going to install a traffic light at Oak and Speegleville Rd, where River Valley is located.
Volunteer
Given the time it has taken to get this bridge finished, I'm assuming they are using horse drawn equipment.
TrapIt4Life
Emailed TXDOT about updates and got this back, for those interested

"We are looking at a final completion in Fall 2020. The current schedule has mainlane traffic moving to the new overpass bridges by Spring 2020."
southtexasbear
Funny I thought Good Grief that is so far away....2020! Then I realized it's coming up in a few weeks. I still can't believe 2020 is right around the corner!!!
Yogi
I have been using Old Lorena Road when in the area, but a good alternative, especially if you are coming from Hewitt, is to go down Spring Valley Road to Cotton Belt Parkway. Then you avoid the construction altogether.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
TrapIt4Life
Saw this posted on NextDoor. Most germane to this topic is that the 84 bridges are due to open up around April, so that's fantastic news. The rest of this was interesting as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week we had an Association meeting at the church to discuss the Cottonbelt Trail park and future park development. Here is a quick recap of things that were discussed.

We were joined by city councilman Jim Holmes, Assistant City Manager Bradley Ford, and Parks Director Jonathan Cook and his team.

The city is looking at installing a playground for kids, a pavilion with tables and grills, new lights for safety, exercise stations along the trail, and water fountains. The playground design looks like a train, which is historically significant because the current trail was previously the rail line from McGregor to Waco.

They are currently in the final design stage and nearing the bid process. They expect construction to start this summer and expect completion to be around the beginning of next year.

The neighborhood and the city staff want to see the park utilized and enjoyed safely, with minimal disruptions to the houses closest to the park. There is concern about the park being used all hours of the night by folks not respecting the land or neighbors. The city is aware and discussing the best way to monitor the park and reduce the unwelcome late-night activities.

Lastly, a quick update from the contractor and TxDOT about Highway 84 road construction. They expect the bridges to open to traffic in April 2020. The turn into Sunwest will re-open at the same time that the bridges open to traffic. Additionally, the entire project will be completed by the end of Summer / Early Fall.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.