Waco Restaurant Reviews

10,615 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Robert Wilson
BaylorHistory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where have you been recently? Did you like it? Did you hate it? Got any pics?

PTGHUNTER
Cajun Craft has some really good fried chicken.

If anybody in Waco is doing better Fried Chicken than Cajun Craft then I would be interested to hear who so I can try it.

trey3216
PTGHUNTER said:

If anybody in Waco is doing better Fried Chicken than Cajun Craft then I would be interested to hear who so I can try it.

Krispy Chicken on Franklin is most delicious.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
BaylorHistory
PTGHUNTER said:

They usually carry raw oysters when in season too which is relatively rare in Waco. Also the Pho there is solid, but I believe they only make it a few days a week.
PartyBear
Has anyone tried Louisiana Crab Shack at Central Texas Marketplace?
PTGHUNTER

I have actually only been there twice. I went the first time to try the fried chicken, because I heard it was good. I went back the second time to try something different but once there I ordered the fried chicken again.

I will be back to try something else.

WacoKelly83
I've been there several times. Very good. I have only had their boiled seafood, (which comes in plastic bags with your choice of seasoning) and would recommend it. They have fried options but I have never tried them.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Went to Chuy's last night. I am always pleased with their food.
KajunKarlsdad
WacoKelly83 said:

I've been there several times. Very good. I have only had their boiled seafood, (which comes in plastic bags with your choice of seasoning) and would recommend it. They have fried options but I have never tried them.

Choice of seasonings? You are supposed to put the seasoning in the water you boil the seafood in, not sprinkle it on top.
baylor88bear
He is WacoKelly83. Not New IberiaKelly83!
Edmond Bear

What are the best newish local places? Please, no chains in strip malls.
FirmBear24
Revival Eastside Eatery on Elm is pretty good. They have salads, sandwiches, and burgers.

https://www.revivaleastsideeatery.com/

J-Petal is a poke and crepe place on University Parks. Great new option and really nice family runs it.

https://www.jpetalwaco.com/

Edmond Bear

Revival looks pretty good. Will have to try it next time I am in Waco.

Anything else that is newish?

BaylorHistory
My new go to is brunch at Hecho en Waco. The wife gets barbacoa which is cooked overnight and it is really good, but my favorite is the steak and eggs that comes with the fried potatoes and refried beans.
PartyBear
There is supposed to be a new Jamaican restaurant the just opened on Elm.
FirmBear24
Tru Jamaica
254alum
It's not new, but Ranchito at 23rd & Waco Drive became my favorite Waco restaurant in 2019. The food is great, the prices are great, and I love the vibe.
Ike Lee
Restaurant for date night?
IASIP Rocks
Runningbearjr said:

Moroso
transmit5by9
I agree. Two tips:

1. There's plenty of parking behind the strip, even on busy nights.

2. When it's packed, you can go next door to Hemingway's to have a drink while you wait for your table.
sipembeers
transmit5by9 said:

I agree. Two tips:

1. There's plenty of parking behind the strip, even on busy nights.

2. When it's packed, you can go next door to Hemingway's to have a drink while you wait for your table.

This 100x
Yogi
Watch parking at Moroso. Walked away with $500 worth of bodywork because the spaces are so narrow.

A glass of Pappy at Hemingway's helps take the edge off.

Tell Gerard I said Hi.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
bularry
KajunKarlsdad said:

WacoKelly83 said:

Choice of seasonings? You are supposed to put the seasoning in the water you boil the seafood in, not sprinkle it on top.
not the new style of doing it.
4th and Inches
Skip Louisiana Crab Shack... average food at best, service was super slow
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
IASIP Rocks
Yogi said:

Watch parking at Moroso. Walked away with $500 worth of bodywork because the spaces are so narrow.

A glass of Pappy at Hemingway's helps take the edge off.

Tell Gerard I said Hi.

Hemingway's has pappy's?? Wow
BaylorHistory
Runningbearjr said:

Taste
Grimm
It's pretty good... The tomahawk was the best (and most expensive) steak I've ever had. Pulled pork mac-n-cheese is great, pork bao buns are great... It's all pretty good... I need to remember this for the weekend...
FirmBear24
If you have not been, take a trip over to Union Hall. Lots of options. Koko Ramen is pretty good for Waco. Reid Guess of Guess BBQ is a co-owner and you can add Guess brisket to your Ramen.

Staples like Whizzbangs and La Fiesta Tacos are there too. They are opening some new spaces soon to compliment the full service bar (Sam's), milkshake place, coffee place, and waffle place. Wings of Waco and Huaco Eatery are two of the other names I have heard of in addition to a ceviche place.
Pea Weevil
Mod Pizza is pretty good but the standard portion is a little more than you can eat in one setting unless you're a a pig.

Pea Weevil
BearConvert
HTK by Bicycle World on University Parks would be my recommendation over Guess BBQ. Guess is overpriced for the portion served.
4th and Inches
BearConvert said:

HTK by Bicycle World on University Parks would be my recommendation over Guess BBQ. Guess is overpriced for the portion served.
. I will give HTK another try but I wasn't overly impressed with my first sampling. Guess has been on point the three times that I have tried it.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
PTGHUNTER
All of my trips to HTK have been excellent.
Yogi
I thought HTK was great.

Nice menu. A little eclectic.

Can't wait till they expand, offer alcohol and dispensed beverages.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
KajunKarlsdad
bularry said:

KajunKarlsdad said:

WacoKelly83 said:

not the new style of doing it.
New style is crap. You don't change what works best. No real Cajun would ever put the seasoning on top.
BaylorHistory
Recent Local Stops:

Taste- perfect as usual for a special occasion. My last meal request is currently steak frites from Taste with a couple glasses of wine, a port, coffee, and their banana pudding. Wheel me on out of there

Milo- A bit underwhelming, but great service. I got the Nashville Hot Chicken and it was a bit bland, but I need to give it a shot with a menu item that is more their specialty. I like the atmosphere though.

135Prime- Not really fair to review as I was there for a function with a prix fixe menu and limited options. The steak itself was disappointing, but the sides + wine + desserts were solid. Good service and atmosphere as well. I need to go back and order off the normal menu.

Valle's Mexican Restaurant- Still a hidden gem for the 5 mini tacos with barbacoa and the green sauce they keep in the back. I could eat it almost everyday.

Poppa Rollos (Original location)- I eat a lot of Poppa Rollos but always to go from the Hewitt location and it had been probably 4 years since I had eaten at the original. I felt like the "Little Rascals Room" was better lit than it used to be and it kinda killed the mood. As a local I'll always overrate Poppa Rollos as one of the best pizza joints around.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.