Waco Restaurant Reviews

10,556 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Robert Wilson
TechDawgMc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KajunKarlsdad said:

bularry said:

KajunKarlsdad said:

WacoKelly83 said:

I've been there several times. Very good. I have only had their boiled seafood, (which comes in plastic bags with your choice of seasoning) and would recommend it. They have fried options but I have never tried them.

Choice of seasonings? You are supposed to put the seasoning in the water you boil the seafood in, not sprinkle it on top.
not the new style of doing it.
New style is crap. You don't change what works best. No real Cajun would ever put the seasoning on top.
Kajun is absolutely correct here. The boil-in-a-bag stuff is bland. That's just not the way you cook cajun
baylrballa
BaylorHistory said:

Recent Local Stops:

Taste- perfect as usual for a special occasion. My last meal request is currently steak frites from Taste with a couple glasses of wine, a port, coffee, and their banana pudding. Wheel me on out of there

Milo- A bit underwhelming, but great service. I got the Nashville Hot Chicken and it was a bit bland, but I need to give it a shot with a menu item that is more their specialty. I like the atmosphere though.

135Prime- Not really fair to review as I was there for a function with a prix fixe menu and limited options. The steak itself was disappointing, but the sides + wine + desserts were solid. Good service and atmosphere as well. I need to go back and order off the normal menu.

Valle's Mexican Restaurant- Still a hidden gem for the 5 mini tacos with barbacoa and the green sauce they keep in the back. I could eat it almost everyday.

Poppa Rollos (Original location)- I eat a lot of Poppa Rollos but always to go from the Hewitt location and it had been probably 4 years since I had eaten at the original. I felt like the "Little Rascals Room" was better lit than it used to be and it kinda killed the mood. As a local I'll always overrate Poppa Rollos as one of the best pizza joints around.

Pretty crazy I'm almost exactly opposite with my experiences at each place.

Taste- good not great. below average wines. wish this was in a different location.

Milo- terrible service that is improving slowly. above average food for waco but limited. place smells like you are in the kitchen. mezcal selection is highlight. Brunch a close second.

135Prime- best restaurant, best food in waco.

Poppa Rollos - edible, barely

bonus review - Pho etc opened about 5 days ago and went for lunch today. Amazing we havent had a Vietnamese restaurant in waco. don't try to say clay pot. service is a work in progress but the food is more than sufficient. pork dishes and egg rolls solid. bahn mi bread was the only subpar thing on the table.
WacoKelly83
Anyone visited Trujamaica? Thinking about trying with my daughter.
https://m.facebook.com/TruJamaicaWaco/
BaylorHistory
baylrballa said:

BaylorHistory said:

Recent Local Stops:

Taste- perfect as usual for a special occasion. My last meal request is currently steak frites from Taste with a couple glasses of wine, a port, coffee, and their banana pudding. Wheel me on out of there

Milo- A bit underwhelming, but great service. I got the Nashville Hot Chicken and it was a bit bland, but I need to give it a shot with a menu item that is more their specialty. I like the atmosphere though.

135Prime- Not really fair to review as I was there for a function with a prix fixe menu and limited options. The steak itself was disappointing, but the sides + wine + desserts were solid. Good service and atmosphere as well. I need to go back and order off the normal menu.

Valle's Mexican Restaurant- Still a hidden gem for the 5 mini tacos with barbacoa and the green sauce they keep in the back. I could eat it almost everyday.

Poppa Rollos (Original location)- I eat a lot of Poppa Rollos but always to go from the Hewitt location and it had been probably 4 years since I had eaten at the original. I felt like the "Little Rascals Room" was better lit than it used to be and it kinda killed the mood. As a local I'll always overrate Poppa Rollos as one of the best pizza joints around.

Pretty crazy I'm almost exactly opposite with my experiences at each place.

Taste- good not great. below average wines. wish this was in a different location.

Milo- terrible service that is improving slowly. above average food for waco but limited. place smells like you are in the kitchen. mezcal selection is highlight. Brunch a close second.

135Prime- best restaurant, best food in waco.

Poppa Rollos - edible, barely

bonus review - Pho etc opened about 5 days ago and went for lunch today. Amazing we havent had a Vietnamese restaurant in waco. don't try to say clay pot. service is a work in progress but the food is more than sufficient. pork dishes and egg rolls solid. bahn mi bread was the only subpar thing on the table.
I wasn't drinking the stuff they make in Bruceville or whatever and honestly if you give me a big ole steak, a few glasses of wine, some banana pudding, a glass of port, and some coffee then I'll always say nice things about you as I'm stumbling out.
bularry
TechDawgMc said:

KajunKarlsdad said:

bularry said:

KajunKarlsdad said:

WacoKelly83 said:

I've been there several times. Very good. I have only had their boiled seafood, (which comes in plastic bags with your choice of seasoning) and would recommend it. They have fried options but I have never tried them.

Choice of seasonings? You are supposed to put the seasoning in the water you boil the seafood in, not sprinkle it on top.
not the new style of doing it.
New style is crap. You don't change what works best. No real Cajun would ever put the seasoning on top.
Kajun is absolutely correct here. The boil-in-a-bag stuff is bland. That's just not the way you cook cajun
that's not what I'm talking about, exactly, but the viet-cajun style of seasoning is really a superior way. more flavor on the crawfish.

BUgolfbear
Wife and I discovered Fridays about 4 years ago. Hole in the wall Cajun joint on the Dallas Hwy 77 between Lakeshore and Waco drive. They just expanded and got a beer and margarita license. Great gumbo and fried fish baskets.
Nguyen One Soon
BUgolfbear said:

Wife and I discovered Fridays about 4 years ago. Hole in the wall Cajun joint on the Dallas Hwy 77 between Lakeshore and Waco drive. They just expanded and got a beer and margarita license. Great gumbo and fried fish baskets.
The best thing there is the shrimp and oyster combo plate.
Yogi
BUgolfbear said:

Blue crab is best in Waco and great frog legs (but deep fried).
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Pam Manhart
I tried Union Hall this weekend. It's a new building with a foodcourt. I believe a lot of the counters like Blaisin Asian are former food trucks. I was surprised how many choices were there - something for everyone. I got my food to go but it has a concrete floor with picnic tables and a nice covered patio for dine in. I would go back again.
trey3216
Pam Manhart said:

I tried Union Hall this weekend. It's a new building with a foodcourt. I believe a lot of the counters like Blaisin Asian are former food trucks. I was surprised how many choices were there - something for everyone. I got my food to go but it has a concrete floor with picnic tables and a nice covered patio for dine in. I would go back again.

Blaisin Asian and Koko Ramen are really good
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Sampi82
KajunKarlsdad said:

WacoKelly83 said:

“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
Sampi82
BUgolfbear said:

I have visited there in the last year just twice so far and have not been disappointed.
“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
FirmBear24
Tried DiCampli's last night. Burrata caprese for an app. Light, fresh, and delicious.The wife had lobster ravioli. Ordinarily, I'm not a fan, but this was a good dish. Lots of flavorful lobster in each ravioli. I had the osso bucco, which was the special for the night. A tad dry in spots, but overall very good. Cannoli and Tiramusi for dessert. Both were good. Will definitely go back.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Went to Revival Saturday and it was a great burger.
BaylorHistory
I was sad to hear that Taste closed down. Their steak frites was probably my favorite meal in town right now.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
CorsicanaBear
Did Taste close? I hadn't heard and will miss them.

Edit: Called the number on the website and its not working. So.....

Bummer.
Illigitimus non carborundum
trey3216
CorsicanaBear said:

Bummer.

I had a feeling they would be one of the ones that wouldn't make it, unfortunately.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
baylrballa
trey3216 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Bummer.

I had a feeling they would be one of the ones that wouldn't make it, unfortunately.

Just a terrible location. Bad decision to only serve wine. I didn't think the food was anything great either.
Robert Wilson
baylrballa said:

trey3216 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Bummer.

Just a terrible location. Bad decision to only serve wine. I didn't think the food was anything great either.
Agree across the board. I liked the tomahawk, but the food was just ok. Only serving wine was a bad move. I want whiskey when I go to a steak place. Location was awful.

As an aside, can a Waco steakhouse throw sweetbreads on the menu? I feel like 135 should do that...
lorbay
Bush's Chicken is the best! And affordable for a family!
Lorbay
BaylorHistory
Went to Diamondbacks for the first time in 15 years last week and it was fine. The steak wasn't cooked 100% right, but everything tasted fine. Service was excellent as was the dessert, but I don't think I'll be making it a habit of going there. Guess I'll keep cooking steaks at home.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Robert Wilson
lorbay said:

Bush's Chicken is the best! And affordable for a family!
Dip it in gravy an sprinkle some some of that serendipity seasoning on it. Justin Wilson says it's Oo-Wee! good.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.