City council approves camping resort on Bosque River

3,026 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wwbear
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Northgate Waco, under their parent company Northgate Resorts, received approval for a special permit allowing a 100-acre resort with rental cabins and spots for recreational vehicles.

Amenities:

Luxury Cabins

Bathouses and Laundry facilities

Lazy river, water pads

Mini golf, jumping pillows, laser tag and playground

on-site eats

tubing

Event space for gatherings

camp store

Sports courts (volleyball)

Beer Garden - live music and drinks
beardoc
Where would this place be?
UBBY
beardoc said:

Where would this place be?
The special zoning permit would allow Northgate Waco LLC to develop 100 acres with more than a mile of Bosque River frontage between Lake Shore Drive and North 19th Street.

Plans calls for 125 cabins and 125 spots for RVs, along with a swimming pool, a restaurant, water play features and plans for other amenities such as laser tag and mini-golf. The site is directly across the river from the Waco Mammoth National Monument and close to Waco Riverbend Park and Hawaiian Falls.
Edmond Bear

Interesting location. Not visible to major highways and not really applicable to locals.

I'm sure they are great at online marketing.

baylrballa
Edmond Bear said:

Interesting location. Not visible to major highways and not really applicable to locals.

I'm sure they are great at online marketing.

If BSR can be a success, I wont put it past this.
TXSVT
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/local/city-council-approves-camping-resort-on-bosque-river/article_ad55548b-0fca-54e2-9512-bd846f4b056f.html
baylrballa
TXSVT said:

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/local/city-council-approves-camping-resort-on-bosque-river/article_ad55548b-0fca-54e2-9512-bd846f4b056f.html
Quote:

"Once this is built, Waco will never be able to recover again," O'Neill said.
oh waco, never change.
Wichitabear
Sounds like this would be great for Waco. Investing in Tourism is good. Things are changing in Waco. Good or bad, get ready. PS I love the cabin idea!
TXSVT
Wichitabear said:

Sounds like this would be great for Waco. Investing in Tourism is good. Things are changing in Waco. Good or bad, get ready. PS I love the cabin idea!
Agreed, it would give a unique place to stay and enjoy the location and also venture out to the nearby water park.
CorsicanaBear
Slum full of permanent residents in RV's in three years. Horrible idea.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Edmond Bear

Is there some inside knowledge you have that would lead you to such a strong conclusion?

Wichitabear
I didn't think it was for RV living. Cabins oh ok, had to go back and read that. 125 slots for RVS.
CorsicanaBear
Because RV parks always end up as cesspools. Always.

This is as bad a zoning move as permitting the giant truck stop at New Road and I-35.

And giving these grifters a mile of frontage on the river will make riverfront development, something that should be luxury development, impossible.

In five years this place will be as bad as the Oaks Motel.
Edmond Bear
CorsicanaBear said:

Because RV parks always end up as cesspools. Always.

This is as bad a zoning move as permitting the giant truck stop at New Road and I-35.

And giving these grifters a mile of frontage on the river will make riverfront development, something that should be luxury development, impossible.

In five years this place will be as bad as the Oaks Motel.

Did an RV do your sister wrong or something to give you such a skewed view?

There are tons of examples of developments like this that are successful. Cause, this is not an 'RV Park'. It has a ton of other stuff going on and also allows RVs.

CorsicanaBear
OK. Don't believe me. RV parks do not belong on prime real estate, just like truck stops. The cabins will be modular units, there will be little to no money for upkeep and when revenues slump in the next economic downturn (there will be one, I wish that were not true, but it'll happen) they will reduce rates and take the cash they can get. Insta slum.

And what else do they have going on? It's modular "cabins" or RV lodging. Oh, with a pool.
xiledinok
CorsicanaBear said:

OK. Don't believe me. RV parks do not belong on prime real estate, just like truck stops. The cabins will be modular units, there will be little to no money for upkeep and when revenues slump in the next economic downturn (there will be one, I wish that were not true, but it'll happen) they will reduce rates and take the cash they can get. Insta slum.

And what else do they have going on? It's modular "cabins" or RV lodging. Oh, with a pool.

20 years from now it will be ___________. Trailer and RV parks are never easy on eyes over time.
Bearly Interested
CB and x are right on the money.

Cash cow for the owner for a while but a complete pile of garbage over time.

Already a done deal?

Will kill possible high end development down there, which honestly could have happened.
Edmond Bear

Not sure why you guys are focused on 'RV' aspect of this.

Northgate Resorts is building stuff like this - https://jellystonehillcountry.com/

Wwbear
This could end up being a tough deal. They are buying and building at what could be peak market and you have to assume the game plan is to stabilize and sell at a higher number. That puts the next owner at a higher basis with less margin for opex and capex. Add to it the seasonality of this kind of project and you have a recipe for a private golf course (and we know how those are doing around here).

I dont know the history of these kinds of projects during a recession but I do know the hospitality industry takes a major hit and is one of the leading indicators of decline and late to the recovery. My guess is this would track close to hospitality, which most investor are moving away from in tertiary markets.

In short, I wouldnt put any of my money into this but I really hope it works out.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.