Hotel roundup

4,427 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old300Bear
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hotels that have opened up this year:

Hyatt Place - 125 rooms - Bagby Ave.

Aloft - 111 rooms - 900 S. 11th St.

TownePlace Suites - 85 rooms - Lacy Lakeview

There is also a Holiday Inn Express & Suites near West that looks fairly new.
PTGHUNTER
Is that Aloft finally open? When I drove by a few weeks ago it appeared they had a ways to go before they would be open.
UBBY
I think it just opened.
william
hotel dale.

on the drawing board.

- BUmma

{ sipping coffee }

Yogi
william said:

hotel dale.

on the drawing board.

- BUmma

{ sipping coffee }

Does it have a self-serve soft-serve machine?
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
william
Yogi said:

william said:

hotel dale.

on the drawing board.

- BUmma

{ sipping coffee }

Does it have a self-serve soft-serve machine?
of course.

we just sketched in the BNTR*.

Buck Nekkid Twister Room - complete w hands free oiling station and attached UniSex shower.

D!

- KKM

PTGHUNTER
UBBY said:

I think it just opened.

I drove by the Aloft hotel tonight and it is definitely not open yet.
UBBY
PTGHUNTER said:

UBBY said:

I think it just opened.

Ok. I'll take your word on that.
UBBY
PTGHUNTER said:

UBBY said:

I think it just opened.

You are right. I just went to the updated section on wacoheartoftexas.com and see that Aloft is "nearing completion."

Under Announced Projects they have the Grant Hotel 354 rooms. We will see on that one. Need to get the Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites up.

Grant Hotel I think would be 2nd tallest building in Waco at 17 stories. Roosevelt Tower is 186 ft. Alico is 282 ft. Grant would be 213 ft.
PartyBear
What about the hotel that is supposed to go up behind Ninfa's/crickets etc.? The land was cleared a year ago and nothing since. It is been taken over by natural vegetation.
UBBY
PartyBear said:

What about the hotel that is supposed to go up behind Ninfa's/crickets etc.? The land was cleared a year ago and nothing since. It is been taken over by natural vegetation.

Embassy Suites. Not sure on the delay.
Bobby Tables
UBBY said:

PTGHUNTER said:

UBBY said:

I think it just opened.

You are right. I just went to the updated section on wacoheartoftexas.com and see that Aloft is "nearing completion."

Under Announced Projects they have the Grant Hotel 354 rooms. We will see on that one. Need to get the Hyatt Place and Embassy Suites up.

Grant Hotel I think would be 2nd tallest building in Waco at 17 stories. Roosevelt Tower is 186 ft. Alico is 282 ft. Grant would be 213 ft.

Aloft is supposed to open in April, per Marriott.
Bearly Interested
I base this on absolutely nothing, but I don't think the Grant will ever happen.

UBBY
Bearly Interested said:

I base this on absolutely nothing, but I don't think the Grant will ever happen.

Nice.
Yogi
Bearly Interested said:

Base it on any other project Dyson has ever proposed...
Bearly Interested
Hahaha. There is just something about that ad that they ran at McLane and now run during the basketball games that just doesn't seem to add up. Hope I am wrong.
PartyBear
The proposed location does not look like a setting for a resort type hotel. Everything around it looks like it could be used as a set for "The Walking Dead".
UBBY
PartyBear said:

The proposed location does not look like a setting for a resort type hotel. Everything around it looks like it could be used as a set for "The Walking Dead".
I think part of the thought process is that it will spark more development for that area.
PTGHUNTER
PartyBear said:

Don't worry...when the Zombies come everybody will just hop on the Lady Donnell and head up river, to escape.

Yogi
PartyBear said:

It actually wouldn't be terrible cleaned up depending on how long it takes TXDOT to revamp Hwy 6.

There is actually another basin where that hotel would sit that is very similar to Baylor Basin by McLane Stadium.
UPBaylor
Bearly Interested said:

Hahaha. There is just something about that ad that they ran at McLane and now run during the basketball games that just doesn't seem to add up. Hope I am wrong.
How about the idea that you spend tons and tons of money advertising for hotel rooms in a building that hasn't even broken ground yet. Advertising a generic product (hotel rooms) that is probably two years or more from being offered up for sale. I'm still trying to find the logic in that. And, makes me think that if they ever do build, they will have to cut a lot of corners to bring the project in on budget with all the advertising spent early.
trey3216
UBBY said:

PTGHUNTER said:

UBBY said:

I think it just opened.

Grant will 95% not ever be built
trey3216
UPBaylor said:

Bearly Interested said:

How about the idea that you spend tons and tons of money advertising for hotel rooms in a building that hasn't even broken ground yet. Advertising a generic product (hotel rooms) that is probably two years or more from being offered up for sale. I'm still trying to find the logic in that. And, makes me think that if they ever do build, they will have to cut a lot of corners to bring the project in on budget with all the advertising spent early.
theyre spending the seed money so they can say that the project never got off the ground and they don't owe the Series A investors anything because that money sailed upriver
CorsicanaBear
Developers "Fees" always get funded first. License plate on Developer's Porsche 911, "1ST-DRAW".
Illigitimus non carborundum
UBBY
trey3216 said:

UBBY said:

PTGHUNTER said:

UBBY said:

I think it just opened.

If it doesn't, then they've done some serious public promotion for absolutely nothing.
trey3216
UBBY said:

trey3216 said:

UBBY said:

PTGHUNTER said:

UBBY said:

I think it just opened.

If it doesn't, then they've done some serious public promotion for absolutely nothing.
Gotta spend that initial money somehow. "Hey, we promoted the heck out of this thing trying to raise funds, just didn't work!"
fadskier
My problem with the "Grant Hotel" is that Baylor will do the Baylor thing...nice hotel with rooms starting at $599 per night.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Yogi
fadskier said:

My problem with the "Grant Hotel" is that Baylor will do the Baylor thing...nice hotel with rooms starting at $599 per night.

That's why you do the Delta thing instead...
Old300Bear
fadskier said:

You do know that Baylor won't own this hotel, right? They just paid to use the phrase "the official Hotel of Baylor Athletics"
Fred Barber
fadskier
Old300Bear said:

fadskier said:

You do know that Baylor won't own this hotel, right? They just paid to use the phrase "the official Hotel of Baylor Athletics"
Did I say that they owned it? I don't think I did.
fadskier
Don't get me wrong, I hope they build it. That area needs some sprucing up. I've just noticed when Baylor "lends" its name to things the price dramatically increases...probably true of all universities. However, my experience is just with Baylor.
Old300Bear
I imagine that the "the official Hotel of Baylor Athletics" will go up for bids and could end up with some other hotel
Fred Barber
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.