Tallest buildings in Waco

7,174 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Malbec
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alico Builing - 21 floors - 282 ft. - Year - 1911

The Roosevelt Tower - 12 floors - 186 ft. - 1922

Baylor University Sciences Building - 4 floors - 164 ft - 2004

900 Austin Avenue - 12 floors - 147 ft. - 1929

Raleigh Building - 11 floors 142 ft. - 1914

501 Franklin Avenue - 10 floors - 124 ft. 1928

Stratton Building - 5 floors 60 ft. 1923

Hilton Waco - 11 floors - 138 ft. - 1981

Texas Life Insurance Co. Building - 11 floors - 138 ft. - 1970

Bu Tower - 11 floors - 138 ft. - 1963

Lake Air Tower - 10 floors - 126 ft. - 1966

Waco Police Dpeartment Headquarters - 10 floors - 126 ft. - 1973

Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center - 10 floors - 126 ft. - no year

One Liberty Place - 9 floors - no height - 1923

Springhill Suites Waco - 8 floors - 101 ft. - 2019

Clifton Robinson Tower - 8 floors - 101 ft. - 1985

Behrens Lofts - 7 floors - 88 ft. - 1913

Wells Fargo Center - 7 floors - 88 ft. - 1987

Praetorian Building - 7 floors - no height - 1915

Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - hillcrest - 6 floors - 75 ft. - 2009

UBBY
Grant Hotel - 17 floors - 213 ft. If it gets built it would be the second tallest building in Waco.
MrGolfguy
LE - GEN - DARY

Weston Rogers
Surprised Triangle Tower isn't on the list; probably in the same range as the Wells Fargo building.
baylrballa
Surprised McLane isn't on there? Surely it's >100 ft
Yogi
I never realized the Waco PD building and the Lake Air condos were the same height.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
UBBY
baylrballa said:

Surprised McLane isn't on there? Surely it's >100 ft

I think it meant a building instead of an arena or stadium.
Bear1969
The Alico has a 22nd floor. It is accessed by a stairway from the 21st floor. The 22nd floor is similar to an attic area and is used mainly for storage rather than offices but it is a full sized floor.
jrstrat
Bear1969 said:

The Alico has a 22nd floor. It is accessed by a stairway from the 21st floor. The 22nd floor is similar to an attic area and is used mainly for storage rather than offices but it is a full sized floor.
Have most floors in the Alico Building been remodeled or are they old and outdated?
Bear1969
They are remodeled mostly. The Amicable Insurance Company has been remodeling their floors one at a time and most are now updated.
PartyBear
Which buildings are BU Tower and Wells Fargo Building? Is BU Tower the building on 9th and Washington? If the Wells Fargo Tower is the Building next to the Wooded Acres HEB, I thought that went up prior to 87. I may have that confused with the building across Bosque from Target though. Was that building mentioned btw?
Bear1969
I believe the BU tower is the building at 9th and Washington that previously had been a bank tower (various names per bank mergers over the years). It is across the street from the Texas Life building and both appear to be about the same height. The Central National Bank building is on Bosque across from Target and as you described it does not appear to be on the list of buildings.
PartyBear
Oddly enough the building at 9th and Washington was most recently called Wells Fargo Tower before Baylor bought it.

The building across from Target I believe was built in 81 or 82.
Yogi
PartyBear said:

Oddly enough the building at 9th and Washington was most recently called Wells Fargo Tower before Baylor bought it.

The six story Central National Bank was built in 1979 by Weithorn Construction. It was built between the construction of the Hooper-Schaefer Fine Arts Building in 1979 and the Waco Hilton in 1980.

My dad was injured in an onsite accident on my birthday that year and came home on crutches.

fadskier
Bear1969 said:

They are remodeled mostly. The Amicable Insurance Company has been remodeling their floors one at a time and most are now updated.
Does Alico occupy that whole building...looks like it would be some cool condos if they even decided to renovate.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Bear1969
American Amicable occupies most of the floors. There are a couple of floors leased by other firms but most of the building is used by American Amicable. Amicable has been through several mergers through the years and is now the 'American Amicable Group' and operates 4 merged companies. It is owned by Industrial Alliance of Canada. Amicable is growing rapidly in sales and the office staff has been increasing in size. Most all available space is needed by the company now and for future growth.
Yogi
The ALICO is a beautiful building. A definite relic of its era.

Unfortunately, it could use some tender loving care and some updating.

I would like to see a more historical restoration of the building with a clean up of the common areas similar to what they did at the Milam Building in San Antonio.

For one, they need to remove the 1950's "urban renewal" facade, throw it in the back of some large trucks and dispose of it at the Waco Landfill.
whitetrash
Yogi said:

Unfortunately, it could use some tender loving care and some updating.

I would like to see a more historical restoration of the building with a clean up of the common areas similar to what they did at the Milam Building in San Antonio.

For one, they need to remove the 1950's "urban renewal" facade, throw it in the back of some large trucks and dispose of it at the Waco Landfill.
They can't. Somehow in the way the 1950s panels were affixed they can't be removed without destroying the facade. It's been studied for 20+ years to no avail.
hodedofome
900 Austin Ave- that's the National Lloyds building. Clifton Robinson has his office on the top floor and it's impressive. Only 4 offices are on the entire floor, they are massive. Excellent views of downtown and Baylor campus.
Chamberman
What no recognition of Pat Neff Hall? It is well over 75 feet and should be on the OP's list.
Baylor3216
Yogi said:

PartyBear said:

The six story Central National Bank was built in 1979 by Weithorn Construction. It was built between the construction of the Hooper-Schaefer Fine Arts Building in 1979 and the Waco Hilton in 1980.

My dad was injured in an onsite accident on my birthday that year and came home on crutches.

Is Mike weithorn related to weithorn construction?
WILLIS
Whatever the Cashion Business school building at BU is called now should be on the list I'd think.
Redbrickbear
Yogi said:

Yea you can see old pictures of it online.

The lower level was originally beautiful....Beaux-Arts Style with columns.
baylrballa
Redbrickbear said:

Yogi said:

Yea you can see old pictures of it online.

The lower level was originally beautiful....Beaux-Arts Style with columns.

what in the world were they thinking.
Redbrickbear
The original bottom portion of the building complimented the top part.

Now it looks totally dated and mismatched.
Baylor Pride
If the original bottom of the Alico cannot be restored, can the cover up be covered up?
Baylor Alum - Class of '99
Malbec
fadskier said:

Bear1969 said:

Does Alico occupy that whole building...looks like it would be some cool condos if they even decided to renovate.
I leased space on the 18th floor back in the mid-80's.
fadskier
Malbec said:

fadskier said:

Bear1969 said:

I graduated from BU in 1987...you mean I could have lived in that?
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Yogi
Baylor Pride said:

If the original bottom of the Alico cannot be restored, can the cover up be covered up?
Most of it probably still exists behind the faade. That's exactly what those 50's style renovations were: boring facades.

Even if not, you could renovate the bottom three floors to mirror the original design or compliment the rest of the building.

But, TIF funds should be made to Amicable Life Insurance to make that restoration.
Yogi
Baylor3216 said:

Yogi said:

PartyBear said:

Is Mike weithorn related to weithorn construction?
Mike is one of the sons and Lisa's husband.
Malbec
fadskier said:

Malbec said:

fadskier said:

Bear1969 said:

I graduated from BU in 1987...you mean I could have lived in that?

Office space.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.