Bye 5 Guys

5,626 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
TXSVT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.wacotrib.com/business/bye-guys-waco-s-five-guys-leaves-crowded-burger-market/article_72bbf970-4547-52b1-bdfb-337f29a9cbaf.html
PartyBear
Even before I got to the end of the story, I was wondering if since it was just a lease renewal time, they may be looking to just relocate to a hotter area of Waco perhaps such as along 35.
whitetrash
In the 10 years it was there I think I ate there twice. And both times I came out covered in grease and thinking I had overpaid.
PartyBear
whitetrash said:

In the 10 years it was there I think I ate there twice. And both times I came out covered in grease and thinking I had overpaid.
LOL I meant to mention in my first post on this thread that I ate there once in the 10 years and it was about 10 years ago.
Wichitabear
I liked 5 guys.
Boernebear
Love Five Guys. Hope it reopens closer to campus/downtown.
atomicblast
They're good, better than shake shack.
Volunteer
whitetrash said:

If you don't leave feeling like you've walked through a fog of grease, you haven't been to a real burger joint.
Yogi
Two notes:

1. The 5 Guys in Harker Heights remains open.

2. 5 Guys has not abandoned Waco; just that location. While corporate may not reopen that store, it is very likely that a franchiser will open a new store at a better location. I would look at the Central Texas Marketplace/ Cinemark Developments in the near future.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
BearCPA
Haven't had Five Guys in years....

About 10 years ago, we had a Five Guys challenge in the tax department at a large Waco accounting firm. You had to finish the entire burger and bag full of fries for both lunch and dinner. We didn't have Five Guys for months after that.
Support Our Veterans @ paypal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/3360500
Dia del DougO
No loss. Probably the 25th best burger joint in town, one of the most overrated chains in history.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
whitetrash
Dia del DougO said:

No loss. Probably the 25th best burger joint in town, one of the most overrated chains in history.

Still better than smashburger though.
BaylorGuy314
I didn't love 5 Guys but I would eat there occasionally. Their burgers were always solid to me.

That said, we have 6-7 solid, local burger joints-

Dubl-R
Christi's
Whizbangs
Cupps
Health Camp
Kitoks
Tom's

As well as these chains that (in my opinion) have an above average burger:

Whataburger
Freddy's
Fuddruckers
Twisted Root

If you want a burger in Waco, you have options.
4th and Inches
Was a nice burger but way too expensive
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
Boernebear
By the way, if you haven't had their Cajun fries, you're not living yet. Totally legit!
T-REX
BearCPA said:

About 10 years ago, we had a Five Guys challenge in the tax department at a large Waco accounting firm. You had to finish the entire burger and bag full of fries for both lunch and dinner. We didn't have Five Guys for months after that.
you call this weak **** a challenge?
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
bularry
Gruvin said:

never thought of 5 guys as expensive...
RegentCoverup
T-REX said:

BearCPA said:

In the old days, Dallas had a placed called "Schmitz.".

It had a history, and had been a Dallas institution forever. The locals loved it, the burgers and beer were solid, it had an authentic vibe. But it was old school Dallas, and located on Harry Hines. Before the urban renewal. So during the daytime it was the hangout for the adult entertainment workers, and by that I mean strippers, bouncers, massage workers, and people whose nationality you'd never guess and have an even harder time finding on a map.

It was a special place for work lunch, because it wasn't a place where we could take a female and most of the males in our office refused to risk it. But the burgers were outstanding. And of course, male bonding.

On one visit, they have some sort of bouncer at the door and he asks, "Are any of you gentleman carrying a weapon?"

Me: Nope.

Then he points to an empty corner and says, "Well, go sit in that corner away from those guys(points to Bikers in the corner) and you might bring a weapon next time."

TXSVT
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

T-REX said:

BearCPA said:

It had a history, and had been a Dallas institution forever. The locals loved it, the burgers and beer were solid, it had an authentic vibe. But it was old school Dallas, and located on Harry Hines. Before the urban renewal. So during the daytime it was the hangout for the adult entertainment workers, and by that I mean strippers, bouncers, massage workers, and people whose nationality you'd never guess and have an even harder time finding on a map.

It was a special place for work lunch, because it wasn't a place where we could take a female and most of the males in our office refused to risk it. But the burgers were outstanding. And of course, male bonding.

On one visit, they have some sort of bouncer at the door and he asks, "Are any of you gentleman carrying a weapon?"

Then he points to an empty corner and says, "Well, go sit in that corner away from those guys(points to Bikers in the corner) and you might bring a weapon next time."

Club Schmitz Beer FTW, right off HH on Denton. I may have had my first beer in there at 13!!!

Need to checkout Dots Hops House
4th and Inches
bularry said:

Gruvin said:

really? Can get a 1/2 pound bacon burger, fries, and drink from Chilis for 10.00

5 guys was 6.00 for small bacon cheese burger(Smaller than Chilis burger), 2.75 for fries and 2.25 for drink... I would not say that their pricing was competitive for the market.

I know there are more expensive burgers out there- had a cowboy crush burger from the Ring of Honor kitchen at Cowboys golf club recently. Even at $15.00, it was huge, excellent quality ingredients, expertly prepared, and tasted great.
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
RebelT
atomicblast said:

Sometimes I see things like this and start to believe that maybe people should be punished for their opinions after all.

This is a criminally bad take.
bularry
Gruvin said:

bularry said:

Gruvin said:

really? Can get a 1/2 pound bacon burger, fries, and drink from Chilis for 10.00

5 guys was 6.00 for small bacon cheese burger(Smaller than Chilis burger), 2.75 for fries and 2.25 for drink... I would not say that their pricing was competitive for the market.

I know there are more expensive burgers out there- had a cowboy crush burger from the Ring of Honor kitchen at Cowboys golf club recently. Even at $15.00, it was huge, excellent quality ingredients, expertly prepared, and tasted great.
the chili's nearest me, the bacon cheese burger is 10.89 by itself. That's before tax. and don't you have to tip there?

No idea where you are getting your pricing from.

Whataburger meal with double meat (regular size fries) is over 8 bucks.
4th and Inches
bularry said:

Gruvin said:

bularry said:

Gruvin said:

the chili's nearest me, the bacon cheese burger is 10.89 by itself. That's before tax. and don't you have to tip there?

No idea where you are getting your pricing from.

Whataburger meal with double meat (regular size fries) is over 8 bucks.
3 for $10 combo at chilis

–Horace

jbbear
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

T-REX said:

BearCPA said:

Club Schmitz has been closed for several years now. Darn shame.
Edmond Bear
RebelT said:

atomicblast said:

Sometimes I see things like this and start to believe that maybe people should be punished for their opinions after all.

This is a really strong opinion in support of an okay burger chain mostly found in tourist locations.

RebelT
Edmond Bear said:

RebelT said:

atomicblast said:

This is a really strong opinion in support of an okay burger chain mostly found in tourist locations.

I do think Shake Shack is much better than "okay", relative to the vast majority of burger chains out there, but that's not even the point. The point is that someone could say, unsolicited, that Five Guys is better than Shake Shack.

Letting that type of absurd opinion go unchecked just cannot stand, man.
baylrballa
RebelT said:

Edmond Bear said:

RebelT said:

atomicblast said:

I do think Shake Shack is much better than "okay", relative to the vast majority of burger chains out there, but that's not even the point. The point is that someone could say, unsolicited, that Five Guys is better than Shake Shack.

Letting that type of absurd opinion go unchecked just cannot stand, man.

I mean, I think it's close, but 5 guys is better.
bularry
Edmond Bear said:

RebelT said:

atomicblast said:

Shake Shack is only in tourist locations?
STxBear81
better bye than buy
PartyBear
bularry said:

Edmond Bear said:

RebelT said:

atomicblast said:

If so they should put one near down town Waco.
Grinnin bear
Kitok's Double Lip Locker with cheese and oriental fries is just magical.
Cbh
bularry said:

Edmond Bear said:

RebelT said:

atomicblast said:

Last time I checked Irving, Southlake, Plano and Preston Hollow weren't major tourist locations. My local Shake Shack seems to do pretty well and I agree that it's definitely better than 5 Guys.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Grinnin bear said:

Kitok's Double Lip Locker with cheese and oriental fries is just magical.

via GIPHY

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.