Logan's and Old Chicago permanently closed in Waco

5,287 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by trey3216
PartyBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As per Trib . Logan's is closing 261 locations permanently and Old Chicago is closing all locations.
BaylorHistory
Wow I knew both had been closed during Covid-19, but that was a quick permamant shutdown. I always wondered how Logan's made it with it being a worse version of what is already a mediocre Texas Roadhouse.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
baylrballa
logan's isn't a big loss, bit surprised about old chicago. The marketplace has not been kind to chain restaurants.
PartyBear
I think the fact that two chains are gone now nation wide after only 3 weeks indicates this is far more than just some economic bump in the road and that everything is back to how it was in February real soon , as folks on the R&P board want to think.
CorsicanaBear
The fact that a national chain is gone after 3 weeks is likely an indication there were deep problems that pre-dated corona virus. Craft Works Holdings, the parent of Old Chicago and Logans Road House filed bankruptcy 3-3-20 and entered an agreement to sell to its senior lender Fortress Credit. This looks to have been a workout situation for some time prior to CV. The sell deal collapsed when CV hit.
Illigitimus non carborundum
jbbear
BaylorHistory said:

Wow I knew both had been closed during Covid-19, but that was a quick permamant shutdown. I always wondered how Logan's made it with it being a worse version of what is already a mediocre Texas Roadhouse.
IMHO, you are being very kind to Texas Roadhouse.
BellCountyBear
Never went to Old Chicago. Was it any good?
CTbruin
BellCountyBear said:

We went once. Not a "do over" for us.
BaylorHistory
BellCountyBear said:

It was fine. Nothing special food wise, but I could see where if you were watching a game with some friends it would be a good time. I wouldn't ever say "Man I could go for some Old Chicago tonight".
BaylorGuy314
I went to Old Chicago several times. Had a good kids menu so I was a fan. Pizza was above average but not a "must have." Kinda pricey. Great bar. Tons of TVs.
4th and Inches
Actually liked Logans better than Texas roadhouse but i dont think they are a big loss to me. Never ate at old chicago...

These guys had issues before Covid
“Mix a little foolishness with your serious plans. It is lovely to be silly at the right moment.”

–Horace

“Insomnia sharpens your math skills because you spend all night calculating how much sleep you’ll get if you’re able to ‘fall asleep right now.’ “
drahthaar
CorsicanaBear said:

The fact that a national chain is gone after 3 weeks is likely an indication there were deep problems that pre-dated corona virus. Craft Works Holdings, the parent of Old Chicago and Logans Road House filed bankruptcy 3-3-20 and entered an agreement to sell to its senior lender Fortress Credit. This looks to have been a workout situation for some time prior to CV. The sell deal collapsed when CV hit.

Great timing. Maybe get a little gov't help on the way out.
Coke Bear
Heard a rumor that Ninfa's may not open back up.

I hope that it's NOT true.

[Edited post to include critical word]
hill02
Ninfa's Waco is always super busy. Why wouldn't it open back up?
Mr Tulip
A lot of these restaurants are names owned by a large corporate structure. That corporate structure might also own 20 other restaurant names, etc.

One restaurant might be busy, but the overall name nationwide, or the corporate parent, might be overextended. That particular location could be profitable, but there may be no "Ninfas" name to re-open.
BaylorHistory
Coke Bear said:

I hope that it's true.
It's not my favorite place, but it isn't bad enough that I want it to close.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Coke Bear said:

I hope that it's true.
Why would you wish that? Lots of people like it and it does provide jobs. Had a good friend help pay her way through Baylor working there.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
whitetrash
Coke Bear said:

I hope that it's true.
Waco Ninfa's is a local licensee. Only a handful of Houston locations are corporate owned.
PartyBear
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Coke Bear said:

I hope that it's true.
Why would you wish that? Lots of people like it and it does provide jobs. Had a good friend help pay her way through Baylor working there.

Agree who wants to see any business fail? Seriously who wants to see nice things go away due to recession or worse. I'm concerned about Waco being back where it was in the 80s when it's over. What works against that concern is the demographics are still the same countering that however is whether everyone comes out with jobs and disposable income still to spend at places.
Boernebear
My family and I would be devastated if Ninfa's closed in Waco. Definitely one of our favorite spots and many great memories. They do a huge business there; I can't imagine this is true but you never know in the restaurant business.

Who doesn't like a Ninfarita and fajitas ala Barry? One of my favorite combos of all time!
Coke Bear
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Coke Bear said:

I hope that it's true.
MEA CULPA!!!

I meant to say ...

"I hope that it is NOT true."

I'm not sure how I forgot the critical word in that post. I really enjoy Ninfa's fajitas.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Coke Bear
PartyBear said:

Agree who wants to see any business fail? Seriously who wants to see nice things go away due to recession or worse. I'm concerned about Waco being back where it was in the 80s when it's over. What works against that concern is the demographics are still the same countering that however is whether everyone comes out with jobs and disposable income still to spend at places.

I forgot the key word in that sentence. I agree. I pull for all restaurants during this time.
BCL79
Restaurants, nationally, are in trouble. I'm seeing estimates of 15 to 20% to close permanently.
PartyBear
I personally wonder if remaining just curbside is the better business move rather than try to run at 25% capacity in house dining.
Yogi
I am going to miss Old Chicago.

Very few Italian places left in Waco.

Location was great and food wasn't bad at all.

They had some kick ass bar food such as Italian Nachos.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Mike E
I drove by Logan's a couple days ago and it looked packed. I thought I had remembered hearing that it closed somewhere. Guess here is where.

Looking it up now, it appears to be open. There are reviews from this week on Google for the Waco location and they are listed on their website.
trey3216
Yogi said:

I am going to miss Old Chicago.

Very few Italian places left in Waco.

Location was great and food wasn't bad at all.

They had some kick ass bar food such as Italian Nachos.

Old Chicago.... Italian food? Bro...
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.