Riverfront development underway, demolition of old city buildings to start

5,320 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Edmond Bear
forza orsi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looks like they're expecting the first facilities in a year, more in 20 months.

https://www.wacotrib.com/business/riverfront-development-underway-demolition-of-old-city-buildings-to-start-soon/article_2b4ea72c-d01e-530e-8ac0-18a48f7b5071.html
Edmond Bear

Glad this is moving. My next Baylor daughter will start in 2022 and something might be open then.

Ashley Hodge
Old300Bear
In the pictures in the Waco Trib, the power booster station looks very sparse. Are they slowly clearing that out and moving it elsewhere?
Fred Barber
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Old300Bear said:

In the pictures in the Waco Trib, the power booster station looks very sparse. Are they slowly clearing that out and moving it elsewhere?
Looks similar to me, but I hope it is moving.
CorsicanaBear
Transformer station looks to me like it always has.

What is a destination restaurant?
Illigitimus non carborundum
fadskier
That power station has got to go!
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
Nguyen One Soon
fadskier said:

That power station has got to go!
Knew of a prospective business that wanted that location back in the mid '90's. Was told then the cost to relocate it was at least $1 million. Guessing it would be more now.
Edmond Bear
CorsicanaBear said:

The definition is pretty wide but usually means upscale and foodie. Something you take your wife to for an anniversary or if you want to impress business clients. But, out of the mouth of a PR person could also mean Bubba Gump Shrimp.
Bear Doc
Edmond Bear said:

CorsicanaBear said:

The definition is pretty wide but usually means upscale and foodie. Something you take your wife to for an anniversary or if you want to impress business clients. But, out of the mouth of a PR person could also mean Bubba Gump Shrimp.

Give me Pappadeaux or give me death...
CorsicanaBear
A whole Pappas pod would be welcome: Mexican, Cajun and the Steakhouse.
PartyBear
Edmond Bear said:

CorsicanaBear said:

The latter is the type of thing I'm thinking. Something you might find at a tourist spot. However it probably isn't anything like that with the sudden predicament the economy is in now.
Yogi
CorsicanaBear said:

A restaurant you actually want to go to, unlike the Olive Garden...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
CorsicanaBear
I'll bet Cheesecake Factory would be considered a destination restaurant in this context and its not a place I would like to go.

Perla's in Austin, Al Biernat's in Dallas or DaMarco in Houston are destination restaurants.
Yogi
CorsicanaBear said:

I'll bet Cheesecake Factory would be considered a destination restaurant in this context and its not a place I would like to go.

Perla's in Austin, Al Biernat's in Dallas or DaMarco in Houston are destination restaurants.
Nah. Cheesecake Factory has actually been downsizing as of late. It wouldn't touch a market like Waco.

Look at whatever they are doing in Tyler and Lubbock. Usually if it's a national or regional chain, Lubbock, Tyler and Waco are the three that usually get the concept at the same time.

As much as Waco has been after a Pappas restaurant, I could see one going in there. I could also see another Landry's concept as Landry's already has a presence in Waco with Saltgrass.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Bear Doc
If Pappas would come in and co-brand with Magnolia, something like:

Pappadeaux at the Sileaux

They would print money.
Edmond Bear
Bear Doc said:

If Pappas would come in and co-brand with Magnolia, something like:

Pappadeaux at the Sileaux

They would print money.

That is some kind of genius right there.
BearlyHeardFrom
Well, he is pre-med after all.
Pablo Fanque
CorsicanaBear said:

Ahh, ya know, Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe, Hard Rock Cafe, Magnolia Table.

Stuff like that.
The Poster Formerly Known as Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Liteitup
Way back when, Cyclone Corral. It was a destination for everyone, no one lived in Cyclone.
beardoc
Liteitup said:

Way back when, Cyclone Corral. It was a destination for everyone, no one lived in Cyclone.
Not unlike Mary's in Strawn.
PartyBear
I remember several years ago a destination restaurant was talked up as coming for Legend's Crossing. When it was announced it was a main motor oil brand themed restaurant. Lol. I think it was called Quaker Steak or something like that. It was a chain as I recall. I think the chain had hardships that caused the one in Waco to closed down after a couple of years. I'm not sure if the chain exists anymore. I guess I could google it before I posted but didn't bother.

Anyway the idea that something such as would be found at a Downtown Disney or Universal City Walk coming to Waco sounds nice and might possibly not have been beyond the realm of possibility before the economic collapse, I think there is almost no way now in the current economy. I dont think any restaurant chains (be it RainForest Cafe or Chilis) are looking to expand anytime soon at this point even if they had expansion plans at the beginning of March.
BaylorHistory
Liteitup said:

Is it not a thing anymore? I still have a shirt from there.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Liteitup
BaylorHistory said:

Liteitup said:

Is it not a thing anymore? I still have a shirt from there.
Still around. My original post was worded poorly.
PartyBear
I have been to Cyclone a couple of times. The last time was around 2006. I remember it being good but nothing about it stands out in my memory about details about how it was. I do recall though that despite it being all you can eat. Your servings got smaller and your pieces of meat became less premium with each request for more after your initial serving.
AlexKutler
hmmm
FrankFallonCalling
Are we to assume that including the arena in this is probably off the table?
PartyBear
I'm pretty sure the arena has been substantially delayed. Like by maybe even by about a decade.
william
CorsicanaBear said:

A whole Pappas pod would be welcome: Mexican, Cajun and the Steakhouse.
and the bar b q as well.....

MetaPappasTropolis.

- BUmma

... they can keep the Luby's*.

* soon to be deceased.

BikerBear
Old300Bear
Needed to get out of the house, so we went downtown to catch up on all the development in progress. We were shocked. There is a ton of stuff either going up or in the earth work stage. It is all over the place. I love the fact that a big part of it is redevelopment. Love saving the old stuff that gives character.
Sorry no pictures.
Fred Barber
Edmond Bear

That is awesome to hear. Looking forward to seeing all of the changes.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.