The Crash at Crush

2,184 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AStaton
AStaton
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Baylor grad Chris Griesemer launched a podcast this month called Wiki Walks which dives into the bizarro world of Wikipedia. Each episode is short, hilarious and worth subscribing.

Anyways, the episode today details a Waco-area marketing stunt in 1896 gone wrong in the pop-up town of Crush, Texas. I had no clue this occurred. Who knew that two 35-ton locomotives crashing in a head-on collision would be a bad idea?
Mr Tulip
That's my second favorite stupid stunt!

My first is the
Exploding Whale

Edmond Bear

I checked out the podcast and it is a lot of fun. I saw that Chris is doing it every day and thought that he would run out of topics before too long. But, then I googled 'interesting unusual history' and it comes back with a million things.

Should be a fun listen.

CorsicanaBear
I "discovered" the Crash at Crush about 5 years ago about the time I moved to Waco. Told my Dad about it all excited about telling him about something he had never heard of only to learn he already knew all about it.

Its funny now, that about every year or so, somebody else "discovers" Crush and tells me about it. Very strange.
Illigitimus non carborundum
BaylorHistory
There's a wonderful painting (or was at least) depicting the crash in the basement of the Texas Collection on campus.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
trey3216
I think we should re-enact it by sending an impaired Crash Davis and BearMace barreling into each other. We can relocate Crush to Brazos Parking for the day
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
AStaton
trey3216 said:

I think we should re-enact it by sending an impaired Crash Davis and BearMace barreling into each other. We can relocate Crush to Brazos Parking for the day
The Tailgate Oklahoma Drill ... this sounds epic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.