The Waco Taco Guide from Wacobound

4,798 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LIKITADISA
Edmond Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://wacobound.com/the-waco-taco-guide-part-one/

What say you?

Part One - Breakfast Tacos

Here's the deal, there are a ton of amazing taco places in Waco. Creating the Waco Taco Guide was actually extremely difficult because there are so many great options. We have the best chains, the best authentic options, and the best breakfast tacos.

So first, we start with breakfast tacos. This is easily the best of all the tacos (have you picked up on our love of breakfast yet?). And to be fair- we will be including breakfast burritos on this list as well. Not full-on burritos, just breakfast burritos.

Lolita's
Up first, it should be of no surprise to true Wacoans that Lolita's is high in our ranking of delicious taco options. They are true, authentic Mexican food and their amazing. If you are feeling hungrier than two mere tacos that morning, upgrade your order to the "Elephante" and you will leave fully satisfied.

Leal's
Up next, we believe Leal's is one of Woodway's best secrets. You have to know what you're looking for to find it and that's one of our favorite facts about it. Their breakfast burritos are packed full of goodies, everyone there is extremely friendly AND they use ketchup bottles to dispense their salsa. The genius of this is not to be overlooked.

Rufi's Cocina
A newcomer, Rufi's Cocina is as authentic as they come. Located in the 25th street pocket of developing culture, this part of town is up and coming. Go check it out, you will not be disappointed. The real key here is the salsa. The owner is a salsa connoisseur, and if you are lucky enough to get the chance to ask him about it he'll give you the full rundown.

Torchy's
Although it's a chain, we as a community should all take a moment to celebrate the addition of this fine institution into our city. I don't ever want it to be lost on our city how within just about five years we managed to adopt some of the coolest, chicest, trendiest chain food restaurants possible. If you haven't already had the breakfast tacos at Torchy's, then you're missing out and this should be your first stop. They're cheap, they're delicious and they're even better when you add potatoes. Order and #1 add potatoes and you will realize this is debatably the best item on their menu. minus the fried cookie dough things which are their own caliber of delicious.

Taqueria El Crucero
Up next, this bad boy is another hidden Waco gem that serves up incredible breakfast tacos and burritos. If you up for the adventure, they're right off the circle, so grab a friend and check it out. Taqueria El Crucero the real deal. And, the best part is that you can get a pancake on the side. Best of both worlds.

Brazos Bar and Bistro
Another newcomer, the Brazos Bar and Bistro is all things chic and trendy. It's located inside of Hotel Indigo and has recently developed quite the brunch menu (more on this later.) Their tacos are simple and to the point, including and concentrating on the basics while creating a beautiful presentation. And, pro tip, the mimosas are incredible. Their flavors vary from strawberry basil to *****ly pear. Get a mimosa with your breakfast taco and you will have a very successful brunch experience.

Olive Branch
The Olive Branch not only has some of our favorite coffee in Waco (check out their 254 blend, it's incredible) but they also have an incredible breakfast burrito. filled with egg, potatoes, bacon, AND sausage. This is one of those places that you can be a true local. Three visits in and they start to recognize you, and that's the kind of feel-good atmosphere we need as a community.

*We provide this break to inform you that we are throwing a curve ball in your direction*

Coffee Shop Cafe
Now this one is out of left field, but we are being 100% honest when we say this- The Coffee Shop Cafe in McGregor has some of the best breakfast tacos in Waco. I know technically we just said they're in McGregor but their tacos filled with bacon, egg, cheese and hash browns all mixed together to create the perfect balance of flavors and textures will make you forget that fact very quickly. We don't know how they do it, but they do it well.

Rudy's
Another curveball, but we just would like to say that they have some dadgum good breakfast tacos. Who would have thought brisket would make such a great addition to Tocos? Rudy's did, and they're delicious. Check them out and you will be pleasantly surprised.
The research for this article was grueling, but we will eat as many Tacos as we need to find the best. If you have any tips, let us know! We're gearing up for part two and we want your input!

Edmond Bear

I found another Breakfast Taco list from Wacofork.com - http://wacofork.com/

1. The Ranchito #5 (2310 W Waco Drive)

These are the breakfast tacos we dream about! Everything is right on the mark and when we didn't feel like trying a new place for the list, we would come back to these. It looks like we have found our go-to breakfast taco spot.
  • Filling Taste: A+
  • Filling Amount: A+
  • Tortilla: A+
  • Overall size: A
  • Price: $1.30/taco with eggs and 1 ingredient- $0.30/per extra ingredient
  • **Drive-through special: 3 tacos (2 ingredients) for $2.99!

2. El Charro Tapatio (1615 W Waco Drive)
This was the first place we tried for our list and we had thought no one would beat it. It still remains at a top spot because we liked it so much.
  • Filling Amount: A
  • Tortilla: A+
  • Price: $1.40/taco with 2 ingredients- $0.40/per extra ingredient

3. Mi Jalisco Grill Taqueria (1000 S New Road)
In a random location across from the VA hospital, this one caught us off guard with how great it was. This taco is a bigger breakfast taco and has a great taste.
  • Filling Taste: A
  • Tortilla: A
  • Overall size: A+
  • Price: $1.99/taco with 2 ingredients- $0.49/per extra ingredient
  • **Morning Special: 3 tacos with the same 2 ingredients for $5
(They recently opened a second location, Mi Jalisco Grill #2, by campus at 800 7th Street. While the taco was adequate, they did not compare taste-wise to the original location. We would recommend going to the New Road location for a better experience. )

4. Lolita's Restaurante (1911 Franklin Avenue)
When thinking about breakfast tacos in Waco, most people think of Lolita's. We aren't going to disagree- they make a great taco.
  • Price: $2.25/taco with 2 ingredients- $1.00 for extra meat and $0.50/per ingredient

5. El Norteno Mexican Restaurant (7896 Highway 6)
If you're ever driving down Highway 6 in the morning, this is a must stop for good breakfast tacos.
  • Overall size: B+
  • Price: $1.79/taco with 2 ingredients- $0.49/per extra ingredient

6. Jarritos Restaurant (2000-2098 Bethard Boulevard)
These tacos were slightly smaller than the others, but they were filled to the brim. (On a side note, they had some of the best creamy green salsa to put on top.)
  • Filling Taste: A-
  • Tortilla: A-
  • Price: $3.99 for 3 tacos with 2 ingredients- $0.50/per extra ingredient

7. Taqueria Mexicana (1500 N Interstate 35 Frontage Road)
This taco had a slightly smaller, thinner tortilla, but they used a different kind of cheese that made for a good-tasting taco. The taco with bacon was slightly greasy, while the sausage in the other taco was cooked in a different way that made it very tasty. The mixed reviews landed these tacos in the middle of our list.
  • Tortilla: B+
  • Price: $1.50 per taco

8. Valle's Mexican Restaurant (900 N Valley Mills Drive)
This was crowded on the Saturday morning when we went. Not a completely full taco, but the tortilla was very good.
  • Filling Taste: B+
  • Filling Amount: B+
  • Price: $1.30/taco with 2 ingredients- $0.25/per extra ingredient
  • **Morning Special: 3 tacos with the same 2 ingredients for $2.50

9. Leal's Mexican Restaurant (9000 Panther Drive)
Many people told us to add this to our list of places to try. It's popularity was definitely shown by a full parking lot and a long line. The tacos were small, but they had an authentic, homemade taste.
  • Price: $2.79/ taco with 3 ingredients

10. Mi Casita (1520 Hewitt Drive B)
For the people in Hewitt/Woodway, this is another good place for a morning taco run. They make a good taco for a good price.
  • Filling Taste: B+
  • Price: $1.75/taco with two ingredients- $0.35/per extra ingredient
  • **Morning Special: 3 tacos with the same 2 ingredients for $3.49

Here are some others we tried:
BaylorHistory
2 elefantes with no egg from Lolitas is all anyone ever needs for breakfast.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
PTGHUNTER
I had found that Wacofork list before and me and my brother tried Ranchito #5 because it was listed first on the list.

It is fine but no way it it the best breakfast taco in Waco. I doubt it is in the top 10.

RightRevBear
BaylorHistory said:

2 elefantes with no egg from Lolitas is all anyone ever needs for breakfast.
I would have to go the emergency room for being in a food coma if I attempted to eat two. I do well to finish off one with egg.
bearss
I feel like I'm picking high cotton. I get the best of Baylor sports ... and now restaurant reviews!
NashvilleBear
Lolitas is the only answer.
If I get only one meal in Waco, that's my choice
Yogi
Leal's breakfast burritos are massive.

I like all the suggestions. I still like Fuego, also, though they can be a little hard to get to right now.

Anybody remember back in the late 80's when the Crispy Taco was a shack in the Southgate parking lot near the old Eckard's drug store?

$1.50 got you a giant burrito full of goodness.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
1outawayBear
any place that doesnt mention griffs with breakfast food in waco is incomplete IMO.

hell two days this week I drove 20+ minutes each way to get griffs before work. best damn breakfast in waco IMO
BaylorHistory
NashvilleBear said:

Lolitas is the only answer.
If I get only one meal in Waco, that's my choice

I agree but just be sure to bring a good book for the drive thru.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Old300Bear
Love me some Lolitas for breakfast.
Fred Barber
bearss
Yogi said:

Leal's breakfast burritos are massive.

I stopped going there a couple of years ago, because the price went up and the burritos got smaller. So they are big again? I will have to give them a try then.
LIKITADISA
1outawayBear said:

any place that doesnt mention griffs with breakfast food in waco is incomplete IMO.

hell two days this week I drove 20+ minutes each way to get griffs before work. best damn breakfast in waco IMO
Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox[url=https://showbox.kim/][/url][url=https://nox.tips/][/url]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.