Hopdoddy's

5,057 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BaylorHistory
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anybody know what happened with this project. It was supposed to go at Legends Crossing.
CorsicanaBear
Would be interested in knowing that myself. It was on, then nothing.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Bear Doc
They are currently building behind Saltgrass some sort of building and I thought that was where it was supposed to go. That building has been taking a while though.
CammoTX
Milkshakes are legit. Burgers and fries are really good, but it is generally overpriced for Waco market, IMO.

Much better concept in Highland Park or Rice Village
Hob Howell
The fries and queso at Hopdoddy steal my heart.
www.linkedin.com/in/hobhowell
trey3216
Hob Howell said:

The fries and queso at Hopdoddy steal my heart.
Over time for sure...
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Robert Wilson
I've never understood why more people don't serve fries and queso combos. It's an easy win.
UBBY
Bear Doc said:

They are currently building behind Saltgrass some sort of building and I thought that was where it was supposed to go. That building has been taking a while though.

I thought that was going to be a retail strip, maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to drive over there again soon.
Bear Doc
UBBY said:

Bear Doc said:

I thought that was going to be a retail strip, maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to drive over there again soon.

Yeah it looks like it, but I was think the hopdoddy's would be an anchor in it.
PartyBear
The last so saw was a report in the Trib Fall or late summer if 18 announcing it and stating it was to open in summer of 19. I figured it fell through as we are now a year after the planned opening.
KEBasketball
Don't know any more about Waco, but Hopdoddy abandoned a planned opening in Houston/Spring in Grand Parkway Marketplace (which has been a very strong new development). Should have opened in the back half of 2019, I believe. Another restaurant opened next door to where Hopdoddy was supposed to be, and the other half of that building is about the only empty space in the whole, huge project...

- KEB
CorsicanaBear
Sorry to hear about Hopdoddy's not being at Grand Parkway. My son and his wife are building a house in Woodson's Preserve (I always think Woodford Reserve) and an occasional visit to Hopdoddy's would have been appreciated.
Edmond Bear

Hopdoddy's had a couple of restaurants in the OKC area close. They were open a little more than a year.
EnglishBear
Once Nick Foles signed his big deal, they didn't need to expand so quickly.
Fat Daddy
https://wacotrib.com/business/hopdoddy-gourmet-burger-restaurant-bound-for-legends-crossing/article_d9685690-381d-575d-b62a-0cb5ef9c98cf.html
trey3216
Fat Daddy said:

https://wacotrib.com/business/hopdoddy-gourmet-burger-restaurant-bound-for-legends-crossing/article_d9685690-381d-575d-b62a-0cb5ef9c98cf.html

That's from almost 2 years ago. I don't think it's gonna happen anymore. They seem to be shuttering locations and cancelling plans for new ones, as has been discussed above
Yogi
The construction next to Saltgrass is a strip center.

But holding out for Hoppdoddy's.

Alcoholic Shakes?

I may be regretting it in a few hours, but bring it on!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
CorsicanaBear
If you need your fix, Billy Bob's downtown has "adult milkshakes". Didn't have one but saw it on the menu. Hamburgers are just ok. Not a good beer list. I prefer Crickets. But if its a boozy milkshake you want ....

Edit: Whoever decided hamburger patties should be cooked thin with crispy edges should never be allowed near a grill or stove again. Heathens. Fries should be crispy. Burgers should be thick and medium to medium rare. Instead I get limp, soggy fries and carbonized, millimeter thick burger patties that crunch.
Robert Wilson
Twisted root is the local play for adult milkshakes. By local, of course I understand it's an import. I just mean it's available locally.
Boernebear
Has Twisted Root reopened? I do occasionally like an adult milkshake. They had closed most of their locations during the pandemic. Their website shows that only 4 of their 17 locations are open right now in any form, and Waco isn't one of them.
Robert Wilson
Good question - I don't know.
whitetrash
Boernebear said:

Has Twisted Root reopened? I do occasionally like an adult milkshake. They had closed most of their locations during the pandemic. Their website shows that only 4 of their 17 locations are open right now in any form, and Waco isn't one of them.
Last time I drove by (about 2 weeks ago) it still looked shuttered.
PartyBear
I didn't open the Trib stories but I assume those were the articles I saw in summer of 18 that I referenced.
trey3216
CorsicanaBear said:

If you need your fix, Billy Bob's downtown has "adult milkshakes". Didn't have one but saw it on the menu. Hamburgers are just ok. Not a good beer list. I prefer Crickets. But if its a boozy milkshake you want ....

Edit: Whoever decided hamburger patties should be cooked thin with crispy edges should never be allowed near a grill or stove again. Heathens. Fries should be crispy. Burgers should be thick and medium to medium rare. Instead I get limp, soggy fries and carbonized, millimeter thick burger patties that crunch.
Re:Edit... That's how the hamburger originated.
Robert Wilson
I like a thick burger medium rare.

I also like thin burgers stacked 3 deep with cheese on every layer with crispy edges. Great texture. Lots of meat and cheese. What's not to like?
BaylorHistory
Robert Wilson said:

I also like thin burgers stacked 3 deep with cheese on every layer with crispy edges. Great texture. Lots of meat and cheese. What's not to like?
You, sir, are both a gentleman and a scholar.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
GhettoHEBear
trey3216 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Louis Lunch on Yale campus. That's actually where the hamburger originated and they don't make them that way
Big12Bear
GhettoHEBear said:

trey3216 said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Louis Lunch on Yale campus. That's actually where the hamburger originated and they don't make them that way
Athens, TX is the birthplace of the hamburger.
CorsicanaBear
There are dozens of places that claim the invention of the hamburger between 1880 or so and the start of the 20th century. Canton, Ohio; Athens, Texas; Sao Goncalo, Brazil; Hamburg, Germany and many, many others. All of them who used thin, crispy patties got it wrong.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
CorsicanaBear said:

There are dozens of places that claim the invention of the hamburger between 1880 or so and the start of the 20th century. Canton, Ohio; Athens, Texas; Sao Goncalo, Brazil; Hamburg, Germany and many, many others. All of them who used thin, crispy patties got it wrong.
I think it just depends on the taste and time.
lrwells50
Robert Wilson said:

That reminds me of the Mason Fargason burger at Hipp's Bubble Room in San Antonio. I preferred the Hotburger Steak and Shypoke eggs. Haven't lived in SA since 1977, but hated it when Hipp's closed.
pmoose72
As a matter of clarification, the Mason Fargason Hippburger had 5 patties!
BaylorHistory
CorsicanaBear said:

All of them who used thin, crispy patties got it wrong.
This is incorrect. All of the them who used 3+ thin, crispy patties for it right.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.