Eating up north

2,150 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CorsicanaBear
insurebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With Luby's going away, any suggested eating sit down places that will be open after BU games where we can stop on the way home to DFW? Mexican?
Nguyen One Soon
Depending on how late, El Conquistador in Bellmead or Hillsboro. Or the Mexican restaurant across 35 from the Bellmead WalMart is pretty good.
CTbruin
IMO, El Con is the best Tex Mex in town. i have only been to Bellmead and Hilllsboro once or twice, but they are run by members of the Gonzales family. I eat there at least once a week......at the west Waco (old Nicks) location.
boxster
Lone Star steakhouse in Bellmead.
CTbruin
boxster said:

Lone Star steakhouse in Bellmead.

Used to be a good one. My last trip there, it wasn't.
Stranger
CTbruin said:

IMO, El Con is the best Tex Mex in town. i have only been to Bellmead and Hilllsboro once or twice, but they are run by members of the Gonzales family. I eat there at least once a week......at the west Waco (old Nicks) location.

I miss Nick's. Little known fact that Nick's lunch enchiladas were the best in town. Nick once told me that if he had known how much money he could make selling Mexican food, he would never started a Greek restaurant.
I'm a Bearbacker
bankerbear
El Con is not even in the top 5 in Waco IMO.
CTbruin
bankerbear said:

And I disagree. Been enjoying the El Con since the 70s. They have been around 50+ years. Must be doing something right.
Bear Doc
bankerbear said:

I was having this discussion with my wife the other night about El Con and Casa de Castillo being from a different time in Tex-Mex. I remember distinctly growing up in Conroe eating at a place called El Paleno that was the same as well.

There are some who really like that style of food (my grandfather loved it) and that is why they have stood the test of time. I personally do not care for it. Some of the other places like Chuy's, Los Cucos, and even La Fiesta (who I think probably has evolved over the years) focus now less on traditional tex mex (enchiladas, tostadas, tacos) and more on grilled items like fajitas and quesadillas etc.

To each his own.
Robert Wilson
Bear Doc said:

bankerbear said:

I was having this discussion with my wife the other night about El Con and Casa de Castillo being from a different time in Tex-Mex. I remember distinctly growing up in Conroe eating at a place called El Paleno that was the same as well.

There are some who really like that style of food (my grandfather loved it) and that is why they have stood the test of time. I personally do not care for it. Some of the other places like Chuy's, Los Cucos, and even La Fiesta (who I think probably has evolved over the years) focus now less on traditional tex mex (enchiladas, tostadas, tacos) and more on grilled items like fajitas and quesadillas etc.

To each his own.
And you're not even touching the true Mex Mex places in town. I like the old school Tex Mex, the new upper end grill places, and the Mex Mex places. Just depends on what you're looking for - they're all very different.

As far as eating up north, it's sparse, but Heitmiller's is an option.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Bear Doc said:

bankerbear said:

To each his own.
I agree it is your Tex-Mex like you grew up on and not something fused with Tex-Mex. It's greasy enchiladas and cheese smothered in chili con carne.

I appreciate each state of Mexico's food and also the Tex-Mex of old and new.

La Fiesta, Trujillo's, El Con, Castillo, are those icons of tradition, while others have their own twist.
lrwells50
Bear Doc said:

bankerbear said:

To each his own.
I like most Mexican food, including El Con. My parents loved this place in Garland, the name escapes me, and in the 80's always wanted to eat there or El Fenix. None of those new-fangled places that served fajitas.
Fat Daddy
You going north to Cowtown or north to Dallas? It makes a difference!

If Dallas and you like Italian, they have a fairly new McDonalds and a new Jack in the Crack. And a Sonic paired with the Smokehouse! By Italian, I am referencing "Itly" (the "a" is silent).

And Carl's Corner has a Dunkin!
Robert Wilson
Fat Daddy said:

You going north ... to Dallas?
Why would anyone ever do that?
geewago
Problem is now a lot of places close an hour earlier than they did pre-covid. I generally eat before the game. But if not I head to Chilis or Walk Ons. I realize that's not on the way to Dallas but it's not far from the FC and they stay open later and have plenty of sports on TV
Bearicade
Mexican food to me is 80% how good the chips and salsa are. If it's really good salsa, I fill up on that and the main course doesn't matter.
I know you believe you understand what I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Chilis or Walk Ons
I haven't eaten at Chilis in years. Not exactly sure why I think its just that I never go down to that section of town. Have eaten a number of times at Walk Ons with both positive and negative outcomes. They have a number of good beers on tap, but it seems that whatever I order, they are out of or (the best), they are only on the taps on the tables and they don't have the key. For that type of food I prefer Crickets or even BJ's Brewhouse.

Alternative Hipster sandwiches, salads and burgers plus local beer on tap = Revival. But their hours are often awkward. Not open on weeknights for dinner.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.