Help me remember

2,728 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by geewago
CTbruin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What was the famous drive at the corner of Waco Dr and Valley Mills, across from Cox's?
whitetrash
CTbruin said:

What was the famous drive at the corner of Waco Dr and Valley Mills, across from Cox's?

Chatham's?

https://images.app.goo.gl/nwuMnB7DDRGoU4ui8
CTbruin
That's it.

Thx

They were famous for their cups or straws or something
Stranger
Their neon sign had a fish that was constantly flopping in in a skillet over a flame.

An interesting side note, the owner sold Chatham's to U-Haul who still occupies that corner, today. The new owners brought a check to the former owner, at lunchtime, to close the deal. The drive-in owner looked at the check, folded it and stuck it in his pocket. He then took off his apron and announced, "we're closed". He and his staff walked out the door leaving customers waiting In their cars for their lunch, unserved.
I'm a Bearbacker
SSadler
CTbruin said:

That's it.

Thx

Weren't they the local place to get frosted mug root beer? (and I'm NOT confusing this with A/W place).
Bexar Pitts
SSadler said:

CTbruin said:

That's it.

Thx

Weren't they the local place to get frosted mug root beer? (and I'm NOT confusing this with A/W place).
Don't remember the frosted mug..but do remember seeing a Purple Cow and a Peckerwood Cocktail...Great steakfingers brought to the car by a cute carhop on roller skates...The official end of 'The Drag"..After circling through, you headed back downtown on Austin for another "run."
WacoKelly83
I remember it as a kid. They served box combos of your choice of fried fish, chicken, and steak fingers. Not sure about the root beer though.
Fat Daddy
At one time, they (and Kim's) has small plastic-type animals that they would put on the edge of your cup.
Fat Daddy
Also across for Westview Village was Papa Rollo's!
CTbruin
Papa Rollos (Roland Duty) worked for Pepe's Pizza in Lake Air East. He either bought out "Pepe" or started his own deal.....can't remember.
ABC BEAR
Stranger said:

Their neon sign had a fish that was constantly flopping in in a skillet over a flame.

An interesting side note, the owner sold Chatham's to U-Haul who still occupies that corner, today. The new owners brought a check to the former owner, at lunchtime, to close the deal. The drive-in owner looked at the check, folded it and stuck it in his pocket. He then took off his apron and announced, "we're closed". He and his staff walked out the door leaving customers waiting In their cars for their lunch, unserved.

Was Tommy Tuberville the former owner?
HunterBear
In high school my friends and I would go to Chatham's every Friday night. I loved their fish basket.

As far as the frosted mug root beer, I remember my folks taking us to Robertson's on the corner of Valley Mills and Dutton, in front of Baylor Stadium in the early 60's. They had really good root beer in heavy (to a little kid) glass stains that had ice on them. Robertson's was an ice cream place that was later open on Waco Drive and 18th across from Sears.
Bexar Pitts
HunterBear said:

In high school my friends and I would go to Chatham's every Friday night. I loved their fish basket.

As far as the frosted mug root beer, I remember my folks taking us to Robertson's on the corner of Valley Mills and Dutton, in front of Baylor Stadium in the early 60's. They had really good root beer in heavy (to a little kid) glass stains that had ice on them. Robertson's was an ice cream place that was later open on Waco Drive and 18th across from Sears.
In the 60's, there was also a place at 15th and Maple named the Triple X Drive In. I remember Triple X Root Beer, and I believe they may have served said beverage in frosted mugs. That area, close to the old Providence Hospital, was busy most of the time. Down the street a few blocks was Brooks Cafeteria, North Waco Tropical Fish..and the infamous Capri Theater.
Bearicade
Bexar Pitts said:

SSadler said:

CTbruin said:

That's it.

Thx

Don't remember the frosted mug..but do remember seeing a Purple Cow and a Peckerwood Cocktail...Great steakfingers brought to the car by a cute carhop on roller skates...The official end of 'The Drag"..After circling through, you headed back downtown on Austin for another "run."

Pea Weevil
You might petition to join this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/440335416074300 It is managed by a 1978 graduate of China Springs High School who does a really excellent job of finding out and reporting little known facts of Waco history.

Regards,
Pea Weevil
geewago
Fat Daddy said:

Also across for Westview Village was Papa Rollo's!
And the pizza was soooooo much better there than where they are now. They are now in the old Texas Distributors building which was an air conditioner and appliance company. My uncle was the service manager there. He would later start his own personal business that is now run by his boys, my cousins. They are well known all over town - McMullen Service Company. Perhaps you've used them before.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.