Waco Restaurants - Best Student Cheap Eats

5,506 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1outawayBear
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's been some time since I've eaten there, but "in the day" Vitek's was near the top ( along with the Health Camp) of places my old group of outlaws used to frequent. Billy Joe and Susan were still employees of Billy's dad back then. I can't tell you how many times I've opened the screen door in front , heard the bell jingle , and stood in line for a chopped BBQ or turkey sandwich...always thick and just delicious. I think Willie ( Mr. Vitek) turned the business over to Billy Joe and Susan in the early 70's...about the time I "granulated" from B.U...I always loved visiting with the Vitek's while I stood in line, grabbed a bag of chips and a soda...the banter was every bit as good as with Buck Massey (Smokehouse) or later Uncle Dan. Just as matter of Trivia, Billy Joe was on the 1960 Waco High Tiger football team that made the playoffs..losing finally to a Corpus Christi team ( Miller I believe) that went on to win State Championship. Anyhow, don't forget the Vitek legacy of great College eats!
1outawayBear
Bexar Pitts said:

It's been some time since I've eaten there, but "in the day" Vitek's was near the top ( along with the Health Camp) of places my old group of outlaws used to frequent. Billy Joe and Susan were still employees of Billy's dad back then. I can't tell you how many times I've opened the screen door in front , heard the bell jingle , and stood in line for a chopped BBQ or turkey sandwich...always thick and just delicious. I think Willie ( Mr. Vitek) turned the business over to Billy Joe and Susan in the early 70's...about the time I "granulated" from B.U...I always loved visiting with the Vitek's while I stood in line, grabbed a bag of chips and a soda...the banter was every bit as good as with Buck Massey (Smokehouse) or later Uncle Dan. Just as matter of Trivia, Billy Joe was on the 1960 Waco High Tiger football team that made the playoffs..losing finally to a Corpus Christi team ( Miller I believe) that went on to win State Championship. Anyhow, don't forget the Vitek legacy of great College eats!

Not cheap anymore. Get two gut paks with drinks and it's 30 bucks
Bexar Pitts
1outawayBear said:

Bexar Pitts said:

That's what I understand. Too bad the govt. doesn't include food or energy in it's inflation statistics! Guess that's why it's been some time since I've eaten there. The business is now on the 3rd generation...economists argue prices are usually set at what the market will bear...Oh well, that's our world today...
historian
We can probably thank the govt for some of that. At least it's we're in Texas instead of New York or California where it often seems the govt is at war with entrepreneurs.
trey3216
1outawayBear said:

Bexar Pitts said:

and the BBQ is barely better than Uncle Dan's to boot. They're both a half a step above Dickie's as far as quality of BBQ, which means it sucks
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

1outawayBear said:

Bexar Pitts said:

and the BBQ is barely better than Uncle Dan's to boot. They're both a half a step above Dickie's as far as quality of BBQ, which means it sucks

Oh yes. I just like the gut oak for lunch
Stranger
Bexar Pitts said:

And listening to Billy talk like a duck
BUMBA1
All you can eat Grilled cheese late night special at Memorial.....

Cost: one card swipe
WILLIS
Cupps, Jaspers, Kitok, Georges, Viteks, Capt. Billy Whizbangs, schmaltz, D's mediterranean, taco bueno, taco Z, shortys, whataburger, shipleys, czech stop, leals, cathay house buffet, teriyaki park, la fiesta, ninfas, and some italian restaurant in that same downtown complex with a great happy drink menu ha... Did 1424 on a nice date night a couple times too.

Ghetto heb.

That covers about 99% of my food intake from 07-11.

Edit: non meal plan off campus food
br53
CammoTX said:

Treff's used to have $2 Tuesdays...

Fish bowls
1outawayBear
Got the 2 slice and drink lunch combo for 5.99 at shortys for lunch not sure if it's daily but I know it's a few times a week
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.