Waco's new I-35 plan

4,012 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Big12Bear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Wichitabear
gobears20 said:

Alf
I'll take that over the mess that it is right now. Tried to get to Canes the other day and had to drive all around the area before I could finally get to their drive thru
SSadler
Alf said:

I'll take that over the mess that it is right now. Tried to get to Canes the other day and had to drive all around the area before I could finally get to their drive thru
IMO your due persecution for believing Canes is "worthy" fried chicken.

I can't find fried chicken in Waco that I think is really worthy. Bush's is just too tired. Church's used to be my go to years ago, but seems they now don't keep their chicken batter completely clear of shrimp batter and their tenders have a fish taste. I refuse to give KFC another dollar.

Like most, I know I will NEVER find the unique taste of fried chicken highplains and I grew up loving.

But, I consider it my spiritual duty to keep looking.

So, I'll accept Alf's persistence as a prod toward revisiting their fare.
Alf
SSadler said:

Alf said:

I can't find fried chicken in Waco that I think is really worthy. Bush's is just too tired. Church's used to be my go to years ago, but seems they now don't keep their chicken batter completely clear of shrimp batter and their tenders have a fish taste. I refuse to give KFC another dollar.

Like most, I know I will NEVER find the unique taste of fried chicken highplains and I grew up loving.

I wouldn't really consider Cane's a fried chicken place in the traditional sense as all they have are chicken "fingers". That's all they have and they do'em up right imho
beardoc
Slim Chickens is pretty good. I also like the tenders at United Market place (here in Lubbock). In Waco, you're on your own.
CammoTX
beardoc said:

Slim Chickens is pretty good. I also like the tenders at United Market place (here in Lubbock). In Waco, you're on your own.

Slim Chickens has some family meal deals that are really good and a good value. We are fans
Stranger
My wife and I shunned Colonel Sanders for years. Recently we had a yearning for fried chicken and Kentucky Fried is the only fast food option in Ruidoso, NM. Let me tell you, it was great. We apparently have been missing out on those 11 herbs & spices that you don't get at Bush's, Chicken Express and Chic-fil-A. Not as greasy either. I got the tenders. My wife goes for a drumstick and A breast.

We're Colonel Sanders fans again!
I'm a Bearbacker
trey3216
SSadler said:

Alf said:

You need to visit Krispy Chicken on Franklin. Cash Only. Outstanding chicken.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Boernebear
trey3216 said:

SSadler said:

Alf said:

I have wanted to try Krispy Chicken for so long but it's never open when I'm over that way. One of these days...

And since this has become a fried chicken thread, I recommend everyone try Cajun Craft. Everything I have tried there has been spot on, and their fried chicken is legit!
BaylorHistory
Boernebear said:

trey3216 said:

SSadler said:

Alf said:

I have wanted to try Krispy Chicken for so long but it's never open when I'm over that way. One of these days...

And since this has become a fried chicken thread, I recommend everyone try Cajun Craft. Everything I have tried there has been spot on, and their fried chicken is legit!

Ironically enough Cajun Craft is in a building that used to be a Krispy Chicken that was owned by the same family as the one on Franklin. Trey is right with Krispy being the best in town and it's pretty cheap too.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Bexar Pitts
Stranger said:

My wife and I shunned Colonel Sanders for years. Recently we had a yearning for fried chicken and Kentucky Fried is the only fast food option in Ruidoso, NM. Let me tell you, it was great. We apparently have been missing out on those 11 herbs & spices that you don't get at Bush's, Chicken Express and Chic-fil-A. Not as greasy either. I got the tenders. My wife goes for a drumstick and A breast.

Stranger, I know you were in Waco late 60' - early 70's...I'll bet you ate more than once at Leslie's Chicken Shack near Pott's Interchange on Waco's edge to No Man's Land. From 1934 to 1995, it had to be THE place for chicken here in River City. They served Frank Smith's best chicken...just delicious..Brought out huge rolls and honey to accompany the fowl..Even had a green sink by the door when you left to wash up if you got a little "wild" while eating! The sign above the building was iconic to travelers, and I think still resides with an Austin collector of Texas treasures..Sorry to ramble, just takin' a stroll down memory lane!
Stranger
Bexar Pitts said:

Stranger said:

Stranger, I know you were in Waco late 60' - early 70's...I'll bet you ate more than once at Leslie's Chicken Shack near Pott's Interchange on Waco's edge to No Man's Land. From 1934 to 1995, it had to be THE place for chicken here in River City. They served Frank Smith's best chicken...just delicious..Brought out huge rolls and honey to accompany the fowl..Even had a green sink by the door when you left to wash up if you got a little "wild" while eating! The sign above the building was iconic to travelers, and I think still resides with an Austin collector of Texas treasures..Sorry to ramble, just takin' a stroll down memory lane!

Sho do! I remember it well. And you're right about those rolls . . . With honey!
I'm a Bearbacker
SSadler
Chickn Shack was the unofficial meeting place for Baylor Chamber of Commerce. We reserved the back room, ordered LOTS of rolls, and proceeded to more than a few food fights.

I don't think "tenders" had been thunk up by the early '70s when I was there. And yes, their freshly friend, crispy battered chicken was THE best tasting chicken back then.

I grieved royally when it closed.
4th and Inches
trey3216 said:

SSadler said:

Alf said:

this is the correct answer. Need to give Jims in bellmead a try again, they used to be solid and had catfish as well
WacoKelly83
I really like the chicken fried chicken at Brown House in Woodway. Large portion too.
BUwolverine2012
beardoc said:

slim chickens is ok if Cane's if not nearby. Cane's knows what they are doing. Pro tip: order the fries extra crispy
BaylorHistory
Gruvin said:

trey3216 said:

SSadler said:

Alf said:

this is the correct answer. Need to give Jims in bellmead a try again, they used to be solid and had catfish as well
Jim's is still pretty good, but it doesn't hold a candle to Krispy.
Boernebear
Seriously need to retitle this thread...fried chicken is a much more pleasant topic than I-35!
UBBY
trey3216 said:

SSadler said:

Alf said:

I've always thought about going there but never got around to it. I guess I'll have to try it soon.
HunterBear
SSadler said:

Alf said:

You must have been spoiled by Leslie's Chicken Shack. I know I was.
historian
I'm not a big fan of fried chicken (fried food in general) but I do like Chicken Express on occasion. It's never greasy. Their catfish is also good.
LionBear
SSadler said:

Chickn Shack was the unofficial meeting place for Baylor Chamber of Commerce. We reserved the back room, ordered LOTS of rolls, and proceeded to more than a few food fights.

I don't think "tenders" had been thunk up by the early '70s when I was there. And yes, their freshly friend, crispy battered chicken was THE best tasting chicken back then.

No fraternity member ever got hurt from a roll food fight at Leslie's Chicken Shack food. It's a shocking fact that the rolls actually weighed less than the surrounding air. LOL.

This may give away my identity but we had a standing "roll toss" competition after every Sunday evening dinner at Leslies. The competition was simple. You had to be able to throw a roll about 30 feet in the air to hit the massive Chicken sign out front. The bet was $1.00.

Every try thrown a rolled up single piece of toilet tissue 30 feet? Same deal. Physically impossible.

No one ever accomplished this feat but me. Every time.

Now here comes the confession. I would excuse myself to wash hands just before leaving. While in the washroom, I would load the hell out of that roll with Sugar and Honey (both in handy transportable packets).

Worked every time.

Made about $100 easy bucks that way.

Sorry, my fellow Phi Delts.

Well. Sorry, not sorry.
Robert Wilson
trey3216 said:

SSadler said:

Alf said:

I stop at Krispy Chicken on Franklin all the time. Great place. Great chicken. Great owner.

Popeye's is hard to beat, though. Many chefs agree. Fried chicken is one thing that is done very well via mass production if the supply chain is done right.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xppqv/the-mysterious-stubborn-appeal-of-mass-produced-fried-chicken
BaylorHistory
Robert Wilson said:

trey3216 said:

SSadler said:

Alf said:

I stop at Krispy Chicken on Franklin all the time. Great place. Great chicken. Great owner.

Popeye's is hard to beat, though. Many chefs agree. Fried chicken is one thing that is done very well via mass production if the supply chain is done right.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xppqv/the-mysterious-stubborn-appeal-of-mass-produced-fried-chicken
Popeyes spicy is good, but Krispy Chicken with their jalapenos is better.
Robert Wilson
I concur
OsoCoreyell
SSadler said:

Alf said:

Bubbas in Dallas (near SMU). That place is legit.
OsoCoreyell
LionBear said:

SSadler said:

No fraternity member ever got hurt from a roll food fight at Leslie's Chicken Shack food. It's a shocking fact that the rolls actually weighed less than the surrounding air. LOL.

This may give away my identity but we had a standing "roll toss" competition after every Sunday evening dinner at Leslies. The competition was simple. You had to be able to throw a roll about 30 feet in the air to hit the massive Chicken sign out front. The bet was $1.00.

Every try thrown a rolled up single piece of toilet tissue 30 feet? Same deal. Physically impossible.

No one ever accomplished this feat but me. Every time.

Now here comes the confession. I would excuse myself to wash hands just before leaving. While in the washroom, I would load the hell out of that roll with Sugar and Honey (both in handy transportable packets).

Worked every time.

Made about $100 easy bucks that way.

Sorry, my fellow Phi Delts.

Well. Sorry, not sorry.
You dirty little...
Big12Bear
OsoCoreyell said:

SSadler said:

Alf said:

Bubbas in Dallas (near SMU). That place is legit.
Good breakfast as well. Same family is behind Babe's Chicken Dinner House.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.