Helberg bbq redeemed itself IMO yesterday

2,602 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by stillwaiting
SSadler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had only been to Helberg's one, several months ago after reading someone's post on this board. I got BAD, too-fatty brisket.

Yesterday a friend and I agreed to have lunch there. Glad I did. Brisket was right texture, and had just enough fat on the slices to keep the sandwich from being dry.

Brown beans were chili pepper hot. Not my style. Macncheese was very good, a bit runny, but a good balance to the too-spicy beans.

I'm looking forward to more good meals redeeming the bad first ones. And ready to try different meats.
Ludwig von Missi
Too fatty?

Coyote Bear
It's the best BBQ in Waco and it's not even close.
trey3216
I've never had anything remotely bad at Helberg
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
Boernebear
I freakin love Helberg. My son and I were the first ones there waiting for them to open on game day vs KU, and they did not disappoint. Beef rib, moist brisket (I've never had a too fatty brisket!), pork ribs, jalapeo sausage, etc were all amazing. Also love the beans! If you haven't been, check them out.
SSadler
I like the taste of "fatty" brisket, but I don't like the texture of the fat--in any meat--beef, ham, fowl, whatever.

BUbearinARK
SSadler said:

I like the taste of "fatty" brisket, but I don't like the texture of the fat--in any meat--beef, ham, fowl, whatever.

Just cut around it and pass it to me.
stillwaiting
I love most everything about Helberg, but the Pesto Turkey is the best poultry preparation I have ever had.
jbbear
Coyote Bear said:

I love Helberg but to say Guess is not even close is a major stretch.
BU99
Everyone is different, I personally prefer Guess. For those that only go once they can also be skewed if they happened to get an off day which I've had at Guess but it was still really good.
GoBearsGo
Too fatty tells me all I need to know.
Coyote Bear
jbbear said:

Coyote Bear said:

Guess is amazing when Reid Guess is working the pit. When he's not, there is a very noticeable drop off. But I still go to Guess twice a month as I find their location to be more convenient for me.
Yogi
I like Helberg,

But, then again, I like any place that serves free beer when the lines get long...

I'd go back. It was good.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
1outawayBear
Coyote Bear said:

jbbear said:

Coyote Bear said:

Guess is amazing when Reid Guess is working the pit. When he's not, there is a very noticeable drop off. But I still go to Guess twice a month as I find their location to be more convenient for me.

I have been twice in the last month and both times were solid, but the weekday lunch visit was noticeably better brisket than when I took my parents while they were in town Sunday for lunch. Wonder if it was due to who was working the pit
Robert Wilson
Only had good stuff at Helberg.

Fat is good.
SIC EM 94
stillwaiting said:

I love most everything about Helberg, but the Pesto Turkey is the best poultry preparation I have ever had.

Agree...the pesto turkey is amazing! That being said, the turkey bacon club sandwich with aioli sauce is quite possibly the best sandwich I've ever had!

Rather than argue which is best Helberg vs Guess...for me they both are fantastic and we are fortunate to have them both.
SSadler
Robert Wilson said:

Fat is good.
Yes, fat is good in the right proportion.

Give me a break guys. I've been eating bbq since before most of you quit suckling.

And you, like I did my first try at Helberg, would find yourself remaking your sandwich if you had what I had. Second trip all was good.
BUbearinARK
SSadler said:

Robert Wilson said:

Fat is good.
Yes, fat is good in the right proportion.

Give me a break guys. I've been eating bbq since before most of you quit suckling.

And you, like I did my first try at Helberg, would find yourself remaking your sandwich if you had what I had. Second trip all was good.
We're just ribbin you
Cusco
Not only is fat good, but since they use grassfed/grassfinished beef it's very good there. BTW, they offer wet or dry wet brisket (fatty or not=fatty) or you can request a mix. Their bbq is excellent.

I live in Houston and on the Bosque a bit down from Helberg's and in my view their bbq is far better than Killens in Houston, which gets a ton of national publicity.
1outawayBear
went today for lunch...outstanding as usual..of note they are trying out a new cole slaw - wasn't to my liking, but their brisket was amazing and bacon burnt ends were great as well.
stillwaiting
Burnt ends day......they were great, brisket was super, the pickles are good and different, and the owners great folks. But at risk of sounding like a broken record, I would drive several hours just for the Pesto turkey.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.