Carhops at the Fairview Drive-In in Waco, 1950s.

1,206 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by CorsicanaBear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
MrGolfguy
Cool photo; i believe that's roughly at the intersection of Bosque & New Road. My guess is Ward Liquor with the lighthouse themed building is there now.
Big12Bear
Note the 5 digit phone number.

You could get a "beefburger," Dog in a Blanket and cigs for .85
whitetrash
MrGolfguy said:

Cool photo; i believe that's roughly at the intersection of Bosque & New Road. My guess is Ward Liquor with the lighthouse themed building is there now.
May have been closer to the corner of New Rd. The building in the background on the right looks like the one that is now empty but was most recently Galaxy Pipe and Tobacco (and before that, Tony Piazza's guitar shop).

I don't ever recall this drive in being there in my early childhood in the 1960s. Zuider Zee/Ward Liquor was built in about 1969; Ward Drug/Eckerds/CVS came along in about 1970 or so; Dunkin Donuts/Polar Bear Ashburns/original Bush's Chicken building right on the corner was added shortly thereafter. Bush's tore down the old CVS et all and rebuilt in the mid 2000s.
Bexar Pitts
Big12Bear said:

Note the 5 digit phone number.

You could get a "beefburger," Dog in a Blanket and cigs for .85
Not sure of the exact date that Waco went to 7 digits. It was 2 letters and 5 numbers. My earliest recollection of Waco 7 digit telephone "numbers" was in the mid-50's, and the Exchanges included "Plaza" (PL =75) and later "Prescott" (PR=77)..Also Swift (SW=79) and Tennyson (TE=83) There were probably others, but I can't recall them at the moment.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Not sure of the exact date that Waco went to 7 digits.
Surprised we don't have to dial 10 digits now. Everywhere else does.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.