Poppa Rollo's

8,423 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by br53
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm only somewhat familiar with the place and have never been. Does anyone recommend it? I'm thinking about trying it out next time I'm in Waco but still trying to decide.

When I was a student, I loved Mazzio's on Valley Mills and more recently in Hewitt--but that one closed.
BaylorHistory
historian said:

I'm only somewhat familiar with the place and have never been. Does anyone recommend it? I'm thinking about trying it out next time I'm in Waco but still trying to decide.

When I was a student, I loved Mazzio's on Valley Mills and more recently in Hewitt--but that one closed.
It's my favorite pizza in town, but it's not for everyone. It seems like most people that are really into quality pizza don't like it while those of us that grew up on it love it. In fact odds are I'll be eating some tonight.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
trey3216
I love Rollo's, but I have to be in the mood for it. It's a different kind of pizza, but I like multiple varieties of pizza. I'm a big fan of their cauliflower crust pizza as well.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
PartyBear
It is great! I have lived on both coasts and I think it is the best I have had.

I recommend Slo Rise as well. It is good. Moreoso's as well is good. Both have more of a trendy environment as a opposed to PR's old hole in the wall type of joint (I'm talking original one in that regard).
Showtime
My favorite is Pizza House in Lorena. Rollos is pretty good. I pretty much only get the hamburger pizza there.
BaylorBen2010
Go for the atmosphere. Leave with a belly full of decent pizza and beer. *** PRO TIP: order the focaccia bread!!! It's worth it w/ cheese. Also find the hidden room if you take kids. Only downside. You have to ignore the confederate battle flag on the wall.
BaylorBen2010
Did I mention the delicious focaccia?
historian
Is their Hawaiian pizza good?
beardoc
My best Poppa's memory:

We went after the Baylor/UT game in 1974, the massive upset. As we were leaving the pizzeria, an older UT fan gave me his ticket stubs as a souvenir, because (he said) we would never beat UT again in my lifetime.
Moondoggie
They have a literal skeleton in one of their closets, a speakeasy that you have to enter through a phone booth, old time movies like the little rascals and a room you enter through a bank vault. You will never have more toppings on a pizza. Voted in the top ten pizzerias in USA one back in the eighties. The ambience is amazing.

Go tonight
NashvilleBear
Food is tied to emotion and I loved going there with Baylor friends in the 80s. Therefore, I still enjoy it now! Agree with everyone about the atmosphere, hidden room and the pizza being loaded with toppings. Fun place, good pizza.
Nguyen One Soon
NashvilleBear said:

Food is tied to emotion and I loved going there with Baylor friends in the 80s. Therefore, I still enjoy it now! Agree with everyone about the atmosphere, hidden room and the pizza being loaded with toppings. Fun place, good pizza.
All true. But what is just as important, or more so, too me is that Roland and Mary are good people. Have known Roland forever, and Mary since she started in the Golden Triangle location as a waitress.
Coke Bear
Their pizza is very good. I'll second the hamburger recommendation. They put some much on there that you cannot see the cheese.

Having said that, please be warned that your service there will range from OK to terrible. Your best bet is to sit in the bar area. Either enter thru the back or walk thru the old-time payphone hidden door.

The bar area is usually better service. The rest of the restaurant's service is suspect at best.

Since others are giving there "seconds", I'll suggest the Pizza House in West. (My brother and his wife own this and Gerik's Bakery) Very comparable to Rollo's. My second for local, non-chain would be Slo-Rise in Woodway. NY style pie. Get the extra large. It's thin, but delicious.

historian
Thanks everyone for all the useful info! This gives me much to think about. I will try out Pappa Rollo's.
trey3216
Coke Bear said:

Their pizza is very good. I'll second the hamburger recommendation. They put some much on there that you cannot see the cheese.

Having said that, please be warned that your service there will range from OK to terrible. Your best bet is to sit in the bar area. Either enter thru the back or walk thru the old-time payphone hidden door.

The bar area is usually better service. The rest of the restaurant's service is suspect at best.

Since others are giving there "seconds", I'll suggest the Pizza House in West. (My brother and his wife own this and Gerik's Bakery) Very comparable to Rollo's. My second for local, non-chain would be Slo-Rise in Woodway. NY style pie. Get the extra large. It's thin, but delicious.

Slo-Rise is only NY style in the sense that it is thin crust large pieces. It doesn't taste NY style because the crust is completely different (which is a huge indicator of NYStyle). It's good though, and a fun place to take kids if you eat there. They've got a good beer selection as well.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
PartyBear
Coke Bear said:

I agree about the toppings but it isn't just the ground beef pizza that is like that. Every pizza they make is like that. They are practically casseroles of whatever kind of pizza toppings you ordered on crust.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Coke Bear said:

Pizza House is good to very good.
Old300Bear
Not a Rollos fan. Really greasy.
Fred Barber
Edmond Bear

Agree on sitting in the back bar with a cold beer and a hamburger pizza. One of my favorites.

BCL79
historian said:

I was about curse at you for this oversite, however, I recalled that I seldom visited the hallowed halls of George's ('79). So, go and sin no more.
historian
BCL79 said:

historian said:

I was about curse at you for this oversite, however, I recalled that I seldom visited the hallowed halls of George's ('79). So, go and sin no more.
I did not go to George's often enough in past years so I've tried to go a lot more in recent years.
T-REX
Had my college grad party there(brother had his hs party there too lol). I think ive only been once since then. Service is not the best & they left a bad taste in my mouth since we reserved the back room and they sat people there to eat right before our reservation so had to wait a good amount of time to get our space.

I have good memories there and pizza toppings are plentiful. May need to check it out soon when I'm down for a game.
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
ImwithBU
You buy it if you want to support local. It's not good by any stretch of the imagination. I put it on par with dominoes and pizza hut
Brian Ethridge
Staff
ImwithBU said:

You buy it if you want to support local. It's not good by any stretch of the imagination. I put it on par with dominoes and pizza hut

The ingredients alone are better than those two.
T-REX
Brian Ethridge said:

ImwithBU said:

The ingredients alone are better than those two.
shut up meat man
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
Yogi
Rollo's was always better for the atmosphere than the food - and still is.

If I am in Waco and ordering pizza - probably not from Rollo's. But, sure, I would go back to the Valley Mills location provided they are playing Laurel and Hardy movies again.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Robert Wilson
Rollo's is good stuff. Atmosphere in the bar is great. Pizza is unorthodox, but it's good. Loads of toppings, and a crispy crust (in-house).
Shippou
I have some horror stories associated with that place since it was my very first job in between the summer of graduating high school and starting college, but I won't share those here since y'all seem to have some very fond memories, and I wouldn't want to taint them.
WILLIS
I'll be the Rollo's hater here. Reminds me of Mr. Gattis.

But the atmosphere is superb and what a old school pizza bar should be.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
WILLIS said:

You leave Mr. Gatti's out of this, sir.
Robert Wilson
Brian Ethridge said:

WILLIS said:

You leave Mr. Gatti's out of this, sir.
Had many a fond high school memory from in and around Mr. Gatti's on a weekend night.

I can see the comparison being drawn (they share something of a rabbit pellet style sausage and hamburger), but I think the similarities are very distant. No one would slap a fresh Rollo's special down by a Gatti's pizza and think they were remotely the same thing. Totally different quality ingredients, Rollo's has 10X the toppings, and the Rollo's crust is crisp.
Bear Doc
Shippou said:

I have some horror stories associated with that place since it was my very first job in between the summer of graduating high school and starting college, but I won't share those here since y'all seem to have some very fond memories, and I wouldn't want to taint them.
This better not be a clue...
Shippou
Bear Doc said:

Shippou said:

This better not be a clue...
Hmmm, no, I'll just say I've seen some things.
FrankFallonCalling
Showtime said:

My favorite is Pizza House in Lorena.
Word
BUVA
I ate there a lot my freshman year, they were always handing out coupons. It was a Sunday night staple when dorm cafeterias were closed. The old building was two stories; they'd show old movies on the walls.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.