When stuff is normal, do Baylor students stay in Waco on the weekends...

3,471 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by McCavebear
FlirtingWithBaylor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
or drive up to the DFW? It looks like a decent city with easy access to nature but I'm curious what the students do for fun off-campus.
BaylorHistory
Waco usually as there are plenty of bars near campus and downtown and if you are socially active there's always a house party around campus. Students will hit up Austin or DFW every once in a while, especially Austin and 6th street or at least we did 10 years ago.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
ImwithBU
When I was a student we primarily stayed in Waco. We would hit DFW or Austin occasionally for big weekends like the Texas Relays. It was plenty of parties in Waco despite what people believe
BealBear
Scruffy's!!!!!!
Shippou
Scruffs is a trap for freshman that get passed around, everyone I know usually went up to DFW or Austin for the weekend for a better social experience.
Ashley Hodge
Staff
there is a lot more to do in Waco than when I went to Baylor late 80s/early 90s, but that is one of the cool things about Baylor. For big sports weekends, you can stay in town and enjoy the game and festivities around the game. For "sleepier" weekends, short drives to Austin, DFW, San Antonio, Houston for a lot more entertainment options. Some underrated things to do in nature as well- I remember camping at Mother Neff, hanging out around Lake Waco, gun ranges, going to ranches of friends, etc...
tcbear
My son is a junior and is in fraternity at Baylor. He loves Baylor and Waco and never leaves on the weekends. He also says none of his friends leave on the weekends.
Robert Wilson
Lots of bars, restaurants, house parties - we always stayed in Waco. You might run to Austin, Dallas, or San Antone for a special weekend, but generally we'd be in town.
Chipoople
Summertime is underrated at BU as well.

One-third the students, parking is great, and you get to know all the area bartenders really well.
Funky Town Bear
Chipoople said:

One-third the students, parking is great, and you get to know all the area bartenders really well.
I loved summers in Waco back in the day. We had a ton of fun.
bularry
People left a lot to go home on weekends from my memory. Frosh and Soph years anyway. I went to Austin a lot to see friends at UT.
SSadler
Funky Town Bear said:

Chipoople said:

Yes to summertime on our campus.

And back in day prior to my retirement, I always found a unique and enjoyable slow kind of "quietness" to campus during Christmas holidays. Strolling the old campus from Tidwell to Bill Daniel and back for lunch was almost a kind "sanctuary" experience--the campus almost a private park.
BaylorHistory
SSadler said:

Funky Town Bear said:

Chipoople said:

Yes to summertime on our campus.

And back in day prior to my retirement, I always found a unique and enjoyable slow kind of "quietness" to campus during Christmas holidays. Strolling the old campus from Tidwell to Bill Daniel and back for lunch was almost a kind "sanctuary" experience--the campus almost a private park.
Especially at night with a bit of crispness in the air. That's some good BearTrail time where you won't see another soul.
SSadler
Indulge a moment of LONG ago Old Campus event.

As a Director of the Honors Program (precursor to the Honors College) I was involved in planning specialized events for an Honor course that simply engaged our students in "special" campus experience of aesthethic, unique experience (YES, I actually gained access UP/INTO the Pat Neff Carrillon tower where our students could muck it up with the pigeons and touch/see/understand the rolling mechanisms that actually made the carillons toll; and YES, I was quite proud of pulling that off).

Another special event was a Christmas Stroll in which our students walked, stopped, enjoyed holiday treats and heard 4 different mini-recitals of various organs on campus--Joyce Jones at one of the stops.

Those "strolls", especially when we were fortunate to have the seasonal December cool/cold front, were and have remained some of my most favorite memories in 50 years of being on the BU campus--from my freshman year in 1970 to my retiring as faculty last year (I suppose the "antithesis" of the aesthetic sight, sound, touch of the Baylor Bells at Christmas came in the Fall of 1972 when, as a Chamber pledge, I led my pledge brothers into the murky mess of the Bear Pit pool--what Judge used as his toilet--in a "Pit" which began with full immersion in the murky mess.

Thus, Baylor HIstory, I claim to have had about as broad a "stretch" of campus aesthetics as anyone might have. And loved it all and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.
BaylorHistory
SSadler said:

Thus, Baylor HIstory, I claim to have had about as broad a "stretch" of campus aesthetics as anyone might have. And loved it all and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

I believe it!
br53
Summer in Waco and bu was awesome especially if you met some of the right people who hailed from Waco. They might have access to a houseboat or a boat of any kind. Those summers were great on Lake Brazos and Lake Waco.
syme
I came to Waco not knowing anyone, so freshman year I left several times to CS and ft worth to visit HS friends until I started making Baylor friends. Sophomore through senior year, I think I only left for thanksgiving and Christmas. Even stayed summers. Wasn't much of a bar hopper, but late night fishing TP&L with friends and a case of beer is usually the first weekend memory that comes to mind but also brings about a bit of meloncholy.

Plus I had a job in Waco and Baylor's course load can get pretty intense so "road trips" every weekend felt like a bad use of time.
McCavebear
Of course the students stay in Waco most weekends. Baylor is their home away from home. The frats have formals in Dallas , Houston and San Antone but those are special and relatively infrequent getaways.

There are plenty of fun things going on near campus and around Waco.
McCavebear Lives!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.