Waco Suspension Bridge to close for rehabilitation project

2,508 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Brian Ethridge
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
ABC BEAR
How am I supposed to get my cattle across the river?
BaylorHistory
ABC BEAR said:

“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Redbrickbear
ABC BEAR said:

The old fashion way.....drive them across the river with your boys and hope most don't drown.
Bear Doc
ABC BEAR said:

CammoTX
Bear Doc said:

ABC BEAR said:

But what if everyone has dysentery?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Redbrickbear said:

ABC BEAR said:

The old fashion way.....drive them across the river with your boys and hope most don't drown.
Beware water moccasins or you'll end up like some Irish friend of Newt.
Edmond Bear

Had a Baylor family member ask his Baylor girlfriend to marry him in the suspension bridge. He brought her there in a horse drawn wagon, had candles lighting the way to the bridge, and family there to watch. I was filming as he got down on one knee and the camera started shaking with laughter because a bum with shopping bags walked up within two feet and just stared at them both while he popped the question.
BearlyHeardFrom
Brian Ethridge said:

Redbrickbear said:

ABC BEAR said:

That scared the hell out of me as a kid.
#LetsGoBrandon
Robert Wilson
BearlyHeardFrom said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Redbrickbear said:

ABC BEAR said:

freaky scene

I think it's probably too far west to hit a nest of water moccasins like that, but still a freaky scene
ABC BEAR
If Gus and the boys decide to stay on this side for some poke salad, I could have beef wandering allover town.
Wichitabear
Edmond Bear said:

Had a Baylor family member ask his Baylor girlfriend to marry him in the suspension bridge. He brought her there in a horse drawn wagon, had candles lighting the way to the bridge, and family there to watch. I was filming as he got down on one knee and the camera started shaking with laughter because a bum with shopping bags walked up within two feet and just stared at them both while he popped the question.
Hilarious!
Big12Bear
Robert Wilson said:

BearlyHeardFrom said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Redbrickbear said:

ABC BEAR said:

freaky scene

I think it's probably too far west to hit a nest of water moccasins like that, but still a freaky scene
Biggest water moccasin I've ever seen was on the Brazos outside of Rio Vista/Blum, above Lake Whitney.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Big12Bear said:

Robert Wilson said:

BearlyHeardFrom said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Redbrickbear said:

ABC BEAR said:

freaky scene

Biggest water moccasin I've ever seen was on the Brazos outside of Rio Vista/Blum, above Lake Whitney.
We shot 10+ out of the trees on the Bosque one summer night. They just kept falling.
Robert Wilson
Big12Bear said:

Robert Wilson said:

BearlyHeardFrom said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Redbrickbear said:

ABC BEAR said:

freaky scene

You can get them in the Brazos or the Bosque. We are probably near the western edge absent a rare sighting.

I've spent tons of time in the Nueces. No water moccasins there, which is where the scene is set. I love Larry McMurtry. He's usually crisper than that.
OsoCoreyell
Robert Wilson said:

Big12Bear said:

Robert Wilson said:

BearlyHeardFrom said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Redbrickbear said:

ABC BEAR said:

freaky scene

You can get them in the Brazos or the Bosque. We are probably near the western edge absent a rare sighting.

I've spent tons of time in the Nueces. No water moccasins there, which is where the scene is set. I love Larry McMurtry. He's usually crisper than that.
I worked at Camp Lost Pines in high school, at the waterfront. One of the shooting instructors was a former US Olympic team shooter. He sat in the tower after hours one afternoon with his competition target .22 shooting the heads off of water moccasins. I stopped counting at 20, but we went out in a boat after to gather up the carcasses. It was one of the finest shooting displays I've ever seen, and I couldn't believe all of those heads sticking up were Mocs. I thought for sure half of them were frogs and turtles. Nope. I didn't spend a lot of time in the water after that.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
OsoCoreyell said:

Robert Wilson said:

Big12Bear said:

Robert Wilson said:

BearlyHeardFrom said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Redbrickbear said:

ABC BEAR said:

freaky scene

I worked at Camp Lost Pines in high school, at the waterfront. One of the shooting instructors was a former US Olympic team shooter. He sat in the tower after hours one afternoon with his competition target .22 shooting the heads off of water moccasins. I stopped counting at 20, but we went out in a boat after to gather up the carcasses. It was one of the finest shooting displays I've ever seen, and I couldn't believe all of those heads sticking up were Mocs. I thought for sure half of them were frogs and turtles. Nope. I didn't spend a lot of time in the water after that.
We "inherited" a house boat on Lake Waco once and I was swimming by the dock and my mother told me to get out of the water. I did, two swam by, I got back in, and then she tells me to get out again, two rattlers swam by, got back in, she looked at me and said, get out again, two more moccasins, I decided at this point it wasn't worth swimming at the docks. My dad fixed the house boat, sold it, got his money back, and we never went back to that area of the lake.
Wichitabear
Brian Ethridge said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Robert Wilson said:

Big12Bear said:

Robert Wilson said:

BearlyHeardFrom said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Redbrickbear said:

ABC BEAR said:

freaky scene

We "inherited" a house boat on Lake Waco once and I was swimming by the dock and my mother told me to get out of the water. I did, two swam by, I got back in, and then she tells me to get out again, two rattlers swam by, got back in, she looked at me and said, get out again, two more moccasins, I decided at this point it wasn't worth swimming at the docks. My dad fixed the house boat, sold it, got his money back, and we never went back to that area of the lake.
. Scary. I wouldn't get in it ever again. Any part of it
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Wichitabear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Robert Wilson said:

Big12Bear said:

Robert Wilson said:

BearlyHeardFrom said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Redbrickbear said:

ABC BEAR said:

freaky scene

. Scary. I wouldn't get in it ever again. Any part of it
Meh, they're not that fast in the water.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.