Start-up Waco pro basketball team holding tryouts

4,105 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1outawayBear
gobears20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
FranchiseBear
Paging Carlos Briggs.
Fat Daddy
Is Ashley in Waco today?
hill02
$250 just to try out? Apparently the youth select financial model has Hit the adult ranks.
Yogi
This will go the same direction as the Wranglers.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
MrGolfguy
FranchiseBear said:

Paging Carlos Briggs.

Dude he's like 60 now. LOL.
Stefano DiMera
Stop
MrGolfguy
Ummm No
BaylorHistory
MrGolfguy said:

FranchiseBear said:

Paging Carlos Briggs.

Fine, call John Flippen then. 7'2 and 40 is a good combo for your knees right?
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Fat Daddy said:

Is Ashley in Waco today?
19 inch vertical
slower than Paul Mokeski and Joe Klein but much shorter
51 years old

where do I sign?
Fat Daddy
Ashley Hodge said:

Fat Daddy said:

Is Ashley in Waco today?
19 inch vertical
51 years old

where do I sign?

Someone has to shoot the three-ball... might as well be you! I just don't have the confidence in Malbear, even though he has has had a moment of fame!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Fat Daddy said:

Ashley Hodge said:

Fat Daddy said:

Is Ashley in Waco today?
19 inch vertical
51 years old

where do I sign?

Someone has to shoot the three-ball... might as well be you! I just don't have the confidence in Malbear, even though he has has had a moment of fame!

via GIPHY

forza orsi
BaylorHistory said:

MrGolfguy said:

FranchiseBear said:

Paging Carlos Briggs.

Flippen is married to a distant cousin of mine (a Sicilian girl under 5 ft. tall). I saw him at a family funeral a couple of years back and he is a BIG man these days. Shaq would have trouble moving him in the paint. He was a pallbearer and it almost looked like they didn't need the rest of the guys.
BaylorHistory
forza orsi said:

BaylorHistory said:

MrGolfguy said:

FranchiseBear said:

Paging Carlos Briggs.

Flippen is married to a distant cousin of mine (a Sicilian girl under 5 ft. tall). I saw him at a family funeral a couple of years back and he is a BIG man these days. Shaq would have trouble moving him in the paint. He was a pallbearer and it almost looked like they didn't need the rest of the guys.

I was a ball boy one of the years he was at BU. He was the nicest guy to us.
lorbay
MrGolfguy said:

FranchiseBear said:

Paging Carlos Briggs.

I bet Carlos can still light it up. Never have I seen a purer shooter. I played good defense and couldn't stop him without fouling him. Hope he's doing well!
Lorbay
ABC BEAR
As a player, my forte was fouling out and launching shots like Curly Neal. I still know all the tricks of gaining leverage and dropping guys on their ass. My long range shooting will need some work and I still have a good first step and a solid WGAS attitude. Being in the league would be a nice supplement to my Social Security every month.

Hey.....it's all about entertainment, basketball is just the sub-plot.
SSadler
ABC BEAR said:

As a player, my forte was fouling out and launching shots like Curly Neal. I still know all the tricks of gaining leverage and dropping guys on their ass. My long range shooting will need some work and I still have a good first step and a solid WGAS attitude. Being in the league would be a nice supplement to my Social Security every month.

ABC, you sound like you would have fit in on Chamber #2 back in the early 70's. Instead of the "Run and Shoot" which most intramurals claimed to be running, Chamber #2 openly claimed our unique "Walk and Chunk."

THE basic team rule was, first guy to touch the bball inside the half court line earned the right to jack it up.
ABC BEAR
SSadler said:

ABC BEAR said:

ABC, you sound like you would have fit in on Chamber #2 back in the early 70's. Instead of the "Run and Shoot" which most intramurals claimed to be running, Chamber #2 openly claimed our unique "Walk and Chunk."

THE basic team rule was, first guy to touch the bball inside the half court line earned the right to jack it up.
Definitely sounds like my kind of team. I am a little concerned about what the #2 represents.
CorsicanaBear
Surely this is just a scam to collect tryout fees and/or scam investors? Who would pay to watch the games (couldn't pay me to go?). I hope nobody has any significant money on the line on this. By significant I mean anything more that $tree-fidy.

This market is too small even for minor league baseball, which is a much easier sell, much less basketball.
Illigitimus non carborundum
BUbearinARK
WILL JOE WACO TRY OUT OR EVEN CARE?
SSadler
ABC bear. All clubs can enter as many teams in intramurals as they want. And the handshake agreement is that your #1 team represents your best, etc. etc.

My fraternity was not that big on intramurals--at least not like the other Greek and social frats.

But we did have fun "walking and chunking".
trey3216
CorsicanaBear said:

Surely this is just a scam to collect tryout fees and/or scam investors? Who would pay to watch the games (couldn't pay me to go?). I hope nobody has any significant money on the line on this. By significant I mean anything more that $tree-fidy.

This market is too small even for minor league baseball, which is a much easier sell, much less basketball.
So kinda like the Grant Hotel?
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

So kinda like the Grant Hotel?
Different demographic but, yeah.
Weston Rogers
CorsicanaBear said:

The Waco metro area is the perfect size for a Single A or Double A team... The bigger problem is finding an MLB affiliate to host a team in Waco.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

The Waco metro area is the perfect size for a Single A or Double A team
The problem is not the size of the market so much as its proximity to other, larger markets. Too much of Waco's entertainment dollars go to Dallas and Austin areas.
Weston Rogers
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

The problem is not the size of the market so much as its proximity to other, larger markets. Too much of Waco's entertainment dollars go to Dallas and Austin areas.
You must hang out in completely different circles than I do, the only people I know that are going to Austin for entertainment even semi regularly are the sub 30 no kids crowd(not MiLB audience)... DFW area I will agree gets a ton of Waco dollars, but even that's changing in the past 5-10 years as Waco has itself become a destination and is also now starting to provide locals with more entertainment options.

A team only needs to avg about 2,400 fans per game and AA team needs around 4,500. Depending on the MLB affiliate and promotions, both would be doable. Like I said though, the ability to get an MLB team to support a Waco A or AA team is the biggest hurdle due to the proximity of existing AA teams in Texas League, and since there's no A Leagues in Texas.

Independent baseball like the league that never got off the ground with the Bellmead Bluecats has no shot of working in Waco.
BaylorHistory
Weston Rogers said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

You must hang out in completely different circles than I do, the only people I know that are going to Austin for entertainment even semi regularly are the sub 30 no kids crowd(not MiLB audience)... DFW area I will agree gets a ton of Waco dollars, but even that's changing in the past 5-10 years as Waco has itself become a destination and is also now starting to provide locals with more entertainment options.

A team only needs to avg about 2,400 fans per game and AA team needs around 4,500. Depending on the MLB affiliate and promotions, both would be doable. Like I said though, the ability to get an MLB team to support a Waco A or AA team is the biggest hurdle due to the proximity of existing AA teams in Texas League, and since there's no A Leagues in Texas.

Independent baseball like the league that never got off the ground with the Bellmead Bluecats has no shot of working in Waco.

I can't see a AA team getting 4,500 a game here.
Yogi
Weston Rogers said:

CorsicanaBear said:

The Waco metro area is the perfect size for a Single A or Double A team... The bigger problem is finding an MLB affiliate to host a team in Waco.
Correct. Waco MSA is 275,000 and the regional combined population is about 750,000.

But, there are three problems with placing a team in Waco:

1. It has to be affiliated with a major league team.

2. Any team you place here will have to compete for Waco's limited entertainment dollar with Baylor athletics and even the major league teams in the D/FW market.

3. Waco's per capita income is lower than most cities in its size demographic.

4. Waco is a very family oriented location, so while weekend games might draw some crowds, weekday games are probably going to lack interest due to other child extracurricular and church activities.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Franklins
Yogi said:

Weston Rogers said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Correct. Waco MSA is 275,000 and the regional combined population is about 750,000.

But, there are three problems with placing a team in Waco:

1. It has to be affiliated with a major league team.

2. Any team you place here will have to compete for Waco's limited entertainment dollar with Baylor athletics and even the major league teams in the D/FW market.

3. Waco's per capita income is lower than most cities in its size demographic.

4. Waco is a very family oriented location, so while weekend games might draw some crowds, weekday games are probably going to lack interest due to other child extracurricular and church activities.

The minor league season runs from April though the end of August. The majority of the season wouldn't compete with BU sports.

IMO the main problem is that the last thing anyone is going to want to do in Waco during the summertime is sit outdoors for 3+ hours.
CooterBU
I'm in, but already holding out for a mil per.
trey3216
CooterBU said:

Bro, I would throw your sh*t into the 3rd row, and I'm 6 inches shorter than you.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

CooterBU said:

Bro, I would throw your sh*t into the 3rd row, and I'm 6 inches shorter than you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.