TxDOT cuts $70 Million from Local Highway Projects

3,861 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Yogi
Eleven-League Grant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Local Highway Project Cuts

Other than the $46 million 'mall-to-mall' frontage road improvement on West Loop 340, and the $5 million overpass on State Highway 31 at FM 939 (new landfill area), the next four years will be lean times for local highway projects.

Casualties are the $12 million Spring Valley Road upgrade in Hewitt, the $8 million State Highway 6 widening in the Speegleville area, the $10 million overpass on State Highway 31 at FM 2311, and the $33 million in safety improvements along the southern portion of I-35.

Perpetually discussed (and invariably postponed) is the project finally to give Waco a real, functioning Loop around the east part of our area, and provide a serviceable alternative to I-35. That the roughly 4 miles of East Loop 340 between I-35 and State Highway 6 (east Waco / Bellmead) is still mostly 2 lanes, with traffic lights and few overpasses, is a real impediment to improving transportation flow around the city.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and the fact that South Loop 340 (Brazos river to I-35) is freeway quality doesn't help when one is forced to travel that 4-mile stretch of East Loop 340. Heaven help you if you are ever in that area on Friday afternoon.

OTOH, money and political representation talks when it comes to these local road priorities, and let's face it, East Waco and Bellmead have been deficient in both for a long time.
Yogi
Well South 340 really needs the work as well. The problem for Waco is that you have so many urban areas growing faster than Waco right now - and they have immediate needs as well.

I believe that Spring Valley work will get done one way or the other.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Waco could always install a tollway. Works up here.
trey3216
Brian Ethridge said:

Do they make $.10 tollways?? Waco will want the tollway but whine about it costing too much.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
whitetrash
trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Do they make $.10 tollways?? Waco will want the tollway but whine about it costing too much.
They can build and open a tollway, and if it doesn't succeed, it can get turned into a Mexican restaurant or Chinese buffet.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

They can build and open a tollway, and if it doesn't succeed, it can get turned into a Mexican restaurant or Chinese buffet.
Or a bank or an Urgent Care Clinic.

If a new, small, building is being built in Waco its it either a Mexican Restaurant, a Bank or an Urgent Care Clinic.
Illigitimus non carborundum
br53
I thought Biden announced a few weeks ago he was going to really invest in our infrastructure? WTH
The battle is not yours, but God's.
2 Chronicles 20:15
Brian Ethridge
Staff
trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

That's what the frontage roads are for. The amount of Dallas/Houston passengers using it would pay for it.
trey3216
Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

That's what the frontage roads are for. The amount of Dallas/Houston passengers using it would pay for it.

But the traffic!!???
Brian Ethridge
Staff
trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

But the traffic!!???
Yes, I always giggle at Waco traffic vs Austin/Dallas/Houston/San Antonio
trey3216
Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

But the traffic!!???

Oh trust me
Scratchy Bear
trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Someone will have to go back home and get a ****load of dimes.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

But the traffic!!???

Oh trust me
I always think of cost of living and how much it costs for me to sit for an hour versus spending that hour with family, friends, or doing more business in person.
trey3216
Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

But the traffic!!???

Oh trust me
I always think of cost of living and how much it costs for me to sit for an hour versus spending that hour with family, friends, or doing more business in person.

I can get to downtown Dallas for a 9:00 meeting in about the same time as someone that lives in Frisco. I like that
Brian Ethridge
Staff
trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

But the traffic!!???

Oh trust me

I can get to downtown Dallas for a 9:00 meeting in about the same time as someone that lives in Frisco. I like that
Yep, why I won't work downtown despite the money being better on several offers.
whitetrash
Scratchy Bear said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Brian Ethridge
Staff
whitetrash said:

Scratchy Bear said:

trey3216 said:

Brian Ethridge said:

What will he think of next?
Big12Bear
Tyler has a relatively new outer loop/bypass tollway
PartyBear
One can scoff at the idea, but there are definite infrastructure needs and they will only get worse. McLennan County along with most of the 35 corridor from DFW to SA is growing. Perhaps not at this point at a rate like other areas on the corridor, but I think Amazon may lead to an acceleration of that rate. But even if not it is still growing and infrastructure needs will become worse in the future.
jbbear
Big12Bear said:

Needed since the loop there is the worst of the worst. Would pay double to bypass that loop.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
jbbear said:

Big12Bear said:

Needed since the loop there is the worst of the worst. Would pay double to bypass that loop.
We took it not long ago and it was so nice.

Similar to the bypass of Austin at 85mph
SSadler
Brian Ethridge said:

jbbear said:

Big12Bear said:

I drove to Little Rock last week to visit family. Anyone driving 85 mph woulda been the car clogging up the left hand lane. Was really nice to let my full size Yukon V8 just GOOOOOO . . . . . (not one speed trap between Dallas and Little Rock)
Big12Bear
SSadler said:

Brian Ethridge said:

jbbear said:

Big12Bear said:

I drove to Little Rock last week to visit family. Anyone driving 85 mph woulda been the car clogging up the left hand lane. Was really nice to let my full size Yukon V8 just GOOOOOO . . . . . (not one speed trap between Dallas and Little Rock)
It's Little Rock to Memphis that you have to worry about.
Nguyen One Soon
Big12Bear said:

SSadler said:

For sure. Every other vehicle is an 18 wheeler in a hurry. Never had trouble with speed traps there.
trey3216
Big12Bear said:

SSadler said:

Brian Ethridge said:

jbbear said:

Big12Bear said:

That stretch was bad 30 years ago.
CorsicanaBear
Outer loop tollway can't happen in Waco.

Current Waco city policy is to suppress growth outside the city core in order to collect taxes on its ETJ and outlying areas inside the city limits without building infrastructure there and using the money for infrastructure in the core. There would be no support from the city for a highway plan that might result in more growth outside the core.

This is as short sighted as almost every other COW public works policy starting with wanting I-35 to run between the Baylor Campus and down town, to the urban renewal downtown mall that made downtown a waste land for 30 years, through its obstinance in sticking to its "master plan" for the Brazos River area which has stymied development there for 30 years to a desire to expand and extend the life of a garbage dump in some of the most valuable land in McLennan county.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Porteroso
br53 said:

I thought Biden announced a few weeks ago he was going to really invest in our infrastructure? WTH

Wow...
Yogi
Porteroso said:

br53 said:

And healthcare

And climate change

And "jobs programs"

Break out your wallet because we're paying it by defunding the police and eliminating the middle class trhrough systematic job reduction and high taxes.

No way would I be purchasing anything on a mortgage or note right now.

I expect that by the end of the Harris administration, there will also be a social program to help the foreclosure/ repo crisis.

The good news is that our dear leaders will be okay. They'll still be buying $500 meals in wine cellars with Chinese money.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.