Small engine repair in Waco?

2,895 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Griz
MrGolfguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Used to have a place that worked on lawnmowers, weedeaters, chain saws, etc. but it closed about 2 years ago. I'm looking for a new place, anybody with a recommendation it would be appreciated.
whitetrash
MrGolfguy said:

Used to have a place that worked on lawnmowers, weedeaters, chain saws, etc. but it closed about 2 years ago. I'm looking for a new place, anybody with a recommendation it would be appreciated.
Was it the place off N. 18th street not too far from Double-R? That's the only one I could recall.
Bexar Pitts
whitetrash said:

MrGolfguy said:

Was it the place off N. 18th street not too far from Double-R? That's the only one I could recall.
Think you're talking about Ludwig Saw and Tool? Don't know if they're still around or not..
MrGolfguy
whitetrash said:

MrGolfguy said:

No, it was at the corner of Sanger & Valley Mills; called AC Products i think; the building looked like hell, but the guy who ran it knew his stuff and was honest.
Nguyen One Soon
MrGolfguy said:

whitetrash said:

MrGolfguy said:

No, it was at the corner of Sanger & Valley Mills; called AC Products i think; the building looked like hell, but the guy who ran it knew his stuff and was honest.
Sorry, but you're wrong on this one. Ludwig was at 1701 Maple when I bought a house on Maple in 1977. Seems like the owner was up in age then. However, it is still open today, and still at 1701 Maple. It is on the same block as Kitok.
MrGolfguy
MrGolfguy said:

So, any suggestions?
JDGorham
We had riding mower & weed eater repair done at the shop on Maple & 17th. It was 5 years ago, we were pleased. Price was good, he was very busy so was not a fast repair job.
MrGolfguy
Thanks
Coke Bear
Nguyen One Soon said:

Sorry, but you're wrong on this one. Ludwig was at 1701 Maple when I bought a house on Maple in 1977. Seems like the owner was up in age then. However, it is still open today, and still at 1701 Maple. It is on the same block as Kitok.

Random post derailment ...

My grandparents lived on Maple (2200 block) from maybe the 50's to the mid 80's. My grandfather built the house himself. By the time they sold it, it was worth next to nothing due to the state of the neighborhood.
whitetrash
Coke Bear said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

My grandparents lived on Maple (2200 block) from maybe the 50's to the mid 80's. My grandfather built the house himself. By the time they sold it, it was worth next to nothing due to the state of the neighborhood.

Truelast time I took something to Ludwig there was a city sign a couple of doors down that said "WARNING: You are entering a high crime area"
BaylorGuy314
Central Texas Mowers in Bellmead does good work at reasonable prices.

The hard part on small engines is the economics of it all. Several hours of labor - even at a reasonable rate- plus overpriced parts end up meaning you typically spend 50% of replacement cost for a repair. I swear most companies do it on purpose just to encourage you to buy new.

BBear77
BaylorGuy314 said:

Central Texas Mowers in Bellmead does good work at reasonable prices.

The hard part on small engines is the economics of it all. Several hours of labor - even at a reasonable rate- plus overpriced parts end up meaning you typically spend 50% of replacement cost for a repair. I swear most companies do it on purpose just to encourage you to buy new.

I had found it difficult to find a good and reasonable repair shop so I went to YouTube on general maintenance items and found I could order the parts and perform the maintenance myself at a fraction of the cost. If the issue with equipment became too complicated I would just replace equipment because of the cost of repair versus new was always cheaper in the long run and I had newer equipment.

Not the way I was taught but I believe it is just a reality of the times we live in.
Bexar Pitts
Coke Bear said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

If your grandparents liked burgers and root beer., I'll bet they frequented the old TripleXXX drive in at 15th and Maple. In the 50's and early 60's, it was very popular. Probably would have taken you there if you were birthed!
MrGolfguy
I tinkered with it some but couldn't get it going. With every screw or bolt or part I removed to get into it I thought " I'm never going to get this back together". Decided to let a pro look at it before I made it worse.
Bexar Pitts
MrGolfguy said:

I tinkered with it some but couldn't get it going. With every screw or bolt or part I removed to get into it I thought " I'm never going to get this back together". Decided to let a pro look at it before I made it worse.
Golfguy, I took my lawnmower to Ludwig several years ago for a "Spring" get ready..they did a good job at a reasonable price..I'll probably do the same this year..It is indeed in a rough area..Perimeter of the place is wired like a Cambodian outpost, but I go during mid day hours. Best to go before they get swamped in early Spring.
SSadler
TSTC used to have a "lab" program where you could get FREE repair (since TSTC was always looking for non-working engines to assign to lab teams of students. Timing was tricky though. Small engine was the easiest to get turned around though because ALL parts of a semester were "in" season, and the instructors saw to it that the machine was, in fact, reparied.

Normally took a few extra days even beyond the long wait at Sears, etc. But it was bona fide fixed when you got it back.

Wouldn't have a clue whom to contact to see if such was still a part of the classes.
Sampi82
MrGolfguy said:

“We have two lives, and the second begins when we realize we only have one.”
WacoKelly83
I did the same thing for many of my cantankerous lawn and garden pieces of equipment. Labor was free. Had to provide or pay for parts. Been over ten years since I had anything done so I don't know who to contact. I do remember that my repairs may have been through the diesel repair technology. My father knew the head of the department so it may have been a special favor
Griz
Jimmy Bourquin in Lorena does good work. DM me for the number.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.