Dog Grooming Recommendations

1,594 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by beerman
Coke Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Please provide your recommendations for Waco area dog groomers.

We've always owned short-haired dogs, but we have a 1.5 yo Golden Retriever that seems like he can shed a full coat in a week. We've never trimmed him, but he needs to be cleaned up a bit.

My wife watched a YouTube video about grooming Goldens and it was in intensive process combing, rinsing, combing, shampooing, combing, conditioning and then trimming his fur. The dog looked amazing.

Does anyone do this in Waco? Is this normal for grooming?
Grimm
The place that we board our dogs at is a groomer too. We get our border collie the deshedding bath and "hygiene" groom like twice a year. Cleans up ear, butt, and feet hair.
Coke Bear
Grimm said:

The place that we board our dogs at is a groomer too. We get our border collie the deshedding bath and "hygiene" groom like twice a year. Cleans up ear, butt, and feet hair.
Where is that?

TIA
Grimm
Cougar paws pet parlor out in China Spring. Pretty much any groomer should offer that option.
beerman
Dogtopia. We have a Bernedoodle and she seems happy with them.
Bexar Pitts
We have two small guys and use Dogtopia also. Very pleased .
loanbear
We use Tidy Tails for boarding and grooming(near the circle). They are super nice, treat our dog like family and we have always been pleased.
Mr Tulip
I've owned many Goldens. They have the tough top coat that's mostly coarse, sort of oily, and pretty waterproof.

They also have a fluffy undercoat that's basically fuzzy poly-fil. In warmer climates like Texas, they start shedding that stuff in September and just sort of keep it up until maybe June or so. It gets EVERYWHERE! I've bowed up a couple of times and tried to extract it all by combing. I got a couple of piles practically as big as the dog themselves. The dog looked amazing for about 3 days, then had another full undercoat, complete with a couple of mats, that he was shedding around the house again.

They want to go retrieve ducks from ponds in Scotland. In Texas, they blow coat and fill the house with it.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Cougar paws
We live out that way now and are looking for a groomer located closer to home. The reviews I find on live for Cougar Paws are mixed. I'd be interested in hearing your experience.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Grimm
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Cougar paws
We live out that way now and are looking for a groomer located closer to home. The reviews I find on live for Cougar Paws are mixed. I'd be interested in hearing your experience.

We have bigger "sporting and working" dogs that we just bring in for basic stuff and boarding a few times a year. They have been great to us, but they don't have to do a whole lot of cutting so ymmv. I know in the China spring Facebook group there are a couple mobile groomers people always recommend for more detailed work.
CorsicanaBear
Grimm:

Thanks for the info.
Bearicade
WTH is a Bernedoodle?? Lol
I know you believe you understand what I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
CorsicanaBear
Perhaps cross between Bernese Mountain Dog and poodle. Would be a biggish dog, ~100 lbs.
beerman
Bearicade said:

WTH is a Bernedoodle?? Lol

Poodle/Bernese MTN Dog. She's about 65-70lbs, straight hair and doesn't shed. I've had labs, mixes and have an old English sheep dog that is a rescue.

Can honestly say, Beerwoman wanted and I resisted and the dog (she's 2.5) is the best damn dog I've ever had. Just has the best of both breeds, extremely social and so smart.
beerman
CorsicanaBear said:

Perhaps cross between Bernese Mountain Dog and poodle. Would be a biggish dog, ~100 lbs.

She has two brothers that are over 100lbs so they can get pretty big. We ran into one last summer that was 135lbs.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.