Anyone remember the Piggly Wiggly off Valley Mills?

7,166 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Baylor3216
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have any pictures? When did it disappear?
whitetrash

Which one? The one in Parkdale that is now Drug Emporium or the one in Westview that was originally an H-E-B and is now Pep Boys?
CTbruin
Or the one across from Floyd Casey on S Valley Mills?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Or the one on Old Dallas Highway, building still there.
redfish961
I remember those when I was a little kid visiting my grandparents in San Antonio.

I'm assuming they got bought out or went under. When did they disappear?
4th and Inches
redfish961 said:

I remember those when I was a little kid visiting my grandparents in San Antonio.

early 80s IIRC

Piggly Wiggly is still around on the east coast, just not in Texas.
MrGolfguy
Went to a Piggly Wiggly while driving thru Mississippi/Georgia/Tennessee on vacation with the family about 6 years ago.
PartyBear
I think it has and has historically (since grocery stores/supermarkets have been around) had a large presence in those states.
whitetrash
PartyBear said:

I think it has and has historically (since grocery stores/supermarkets have been around) had a large presence in those states.

PDub was the first self service grocery store in the US and started in Memphis, so it's biggest across Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and........Milwaukee.
Yogi
Baylor3216 said:

Was it where Pep Boys is today?

I know that started out as an HEB in 1958.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
4th and Inches said:

redfish961 said:

early 80s IIRC

Piggly Wiggly is still around on the east coast, just not in Texas.
They actually had a Stephenville location into the first decade of the 2000's though.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Bexar Pitts
Yogi said:

Baylor3216 said:

Was it where Pep Boys is today?

I know that started out as an HEB in 1958.

Yes.
dave714
Brian Ethridge said:

Or the one on Old Dallas Highway, building still there.
That was my first job at 15. Worked next to the one on valley mills drive 1986-87 also at a place called frostex market that sold bulk food for the restaurants in Waco. The owner was a UT grad that dated Farrar Fawcett in college.That place is now Crunch fitness.
Pronto Tonto
Did you hear the rumor that Piggly Wiggly and HEB are going to merge?

New store will be called The Wiggly Butt.
Fat Daddy
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I grew up a block away from the PW in Woodwayand went there at least once a day through high school

I remember the PW down Valley Mills but I guess I had forgotten one down from Cox's.

What was the grocery store at the Lake Air Mall on the Sears end?

whitetrash
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

I grew up a block away from the PW in Woodwayand went there at least once a day through high school

I remember the PW down Valley Mills but I guess I had forgotten one down from Cox's.

It was a Safeway (beyond Montgomery wards). Closed when they built the freestanding store at Bosque/VM that is now Extraco in about 1969 or 1970.
Bexar Pitts

There was also a Pigg in the Brookview Hills shopping center. ( 34th and Bosque) across from Austin Closs.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
whitetrash said:

It was a Safeway (beyond Montgomery wards). Closed when they built the freestanding store at Bosque/VM that is now Extraco in about 1969 or 1970.
Yep. I worked at that one from my 16th birthday till the summer after I graduated from Baylor,
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Pseudo3D
From what I can find, the Piggly Wiggly on Valley Mills closed sometime in the mid-1980s for what is now AutoZone. Originally, the building was about where the parking lot is now.
Baylor3216
Yeah I'm thinking of the one that is now pep boys. Near cox's on tue opposite end.

It was there maybe in the mid 80s as best I can revall
HunterBear
My family would shop at the PW on Valley Mills across from Baylor Stadium in the 60's. Across the parking area from it was a hobby shop (model kits, etc.), Pirelo's Barber Shop (which sponsored the little league baseball team I played on) and a cleaners.
CTbruin
HunterBear said:

My family would shop at the PW on Valley Mills across from Baylor Stadium in the 60's. Across the parking area from it was a hobby shop (model kits, etc.), Pirelo's Barber Shop (which sponsored the little league baseball team I played on) and a cleaners.

That's where we shopped in early 60s. It was closest to Midway.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Remember taking Sanger to get from Woodway to Waco? The was a house down at the bottom of the hill that had a well. I always wanted to get out of the car and see if it was a real well. This would have been 62 to about 64 I think

The Woodway PW was build mid '60's. I lived on Panther Drive and used to go up there often. Later on the little strip center had Macs Machine Scene, Ted's first Mexican restaurant, a ceramic place you could paint your purchase. At the end was the Dairy Twist and a little country store.
geewago
It's amazing that none of ya'll remember the Piggly Wiggly on S 77 located right between GQ's liquor and Rodeo pawn Shop. It was a nice one and I think it was the last one they built in town. There's an office supply store in it now. Momma shopped there all the time. She liked it much better than Safeway.
Bexar Pitts

Remember taking Sanger to get from Woodway to Waco? The was a house down at the bottom of the hill that had a well. I always wanted to get out of the car and see if it was a real well. This would have been 62 to about 64 I think

The Woodway PW was build mid '60's. I lived on Panther Drive and used to go up there often. Later on the little strip center had Macs Machine Scene, Ted's first Mexican restaurant, a ceramic place you could paint your purchase. At the end was the Dairy Twist and a little country store.
Ted's Midway Cafe...What great memories of Ted and his family all working together to make it a special little place to get a great meal prepared by great people. Brings a smile to think of the times my family enjoyed being regular patrons!
CTbruin
Still in business after 50 years. Go there most Monday nights.

Come by. I'll buy the beer!
Bexar Pitts
CTbruin said:

Still in business after 50 years. Go there most Monday nights.

Come by. I'll buy the beer!
What a great and generous offer! Might have to take you up on that in near future! Sic 'Em !
CTbruin
We sit at the high tables in the bar

El Con in the old Nick's building on Waco Drive
SSadler
CTbruin said:

HunterBear said:

When "Midway" was what the small community between Waco and McGregor was called. There was no "Woodway" then. CT, when did the citizens adopt "Woodway" as the encorporated name?

CTbruin
70s. Not sure exact date
whitetrash
SSadler said:

CTbruin said:

HunterBear said:

When "Midway" was what the small community between Waco and McGregor was called. There was no "Woodway" then. CT, when did the citizens adopt "Woodway" as the encorporated name?

Per Wikipedia, Woodway was incorporated 6/20/55.
CTbruin
The City of Woodway website says 1955. I don't remember that. Really didn't go by Woodway until 70s.
SSadler
CTbruin said:

70s. Not sure exact date
I went to work at the "First Baptist Church of Woodway, Waco" in Fall 1972 and by then the schools were all called 'Midway' but the residential (I can't remember any commercial) area was still "Woodway."

for the record: when I went to that position "Hewitt was a small bedroom community 5-8 miles away "out in the country". No commercial there as well.
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
I think Brother Hinton is alive and well living in Temple.
I have found theres only two ways to go:
Living fast or dying slow.
I dont want to live forever.
But I will live while I'm here.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.